Men No Longer Needed to Create Sperm!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scary stuff, check out the article. I don't know how much more "playing God" people can do but I feel like this could lead to the fall of mankind in some way, shape, or form. The real question is... what's next? It goes along with the whole morals of cloning, etc, and it's kind of frightening.

Men No Longer Needed to Create Sperm

January 31, 2008

It looks like males will soon be irrelevant to the survival of the human race.

Scientists at the University of Newcastle have managed to create human sperm cells using a female embryonic stem cell.

The researchers, led by Prof Karim Nayernia, had previously created primitive sperm cells from male bone marrow. They’re currently working on making the cells from female bone marrow, which would be much easier and more practical than creating them from embryos.

The creation means that lesbian couples could soon have children that shared the DNA of both women, rather than having one male biological father. A sperm cell created from one partner could fertilize her partner’s egg.

There is some question about whether a sperm cell created from a female could produce viable, healthy offspring. The human female sperm cells could not in their current state produce offspring as they do not have the correct amount of genetic material. The team must next have the cells undergo meiosis to make sure the cells have the correct amount of genetic material.

That will likely only be a minor roadblock. Prof Nayernia has already overcome this problem with sperm cells created from male cells. In 2006, he used sperm created from embryonic stem cells to impregnate mice. The mice produced 7 pups, although one died and the other six had health problems.

Ok, so it may be overstating it a bit to say that males will be irrelevant. Just because we’re not technically needed to breed doesn’t mean women will no longer find men attractive, right? After all, we’re good for a lot more than just baby making. We’ve got tons to offer! For instance, just the other day I assembled a chair from Ikea, and it only wobbles a tiny bit when you sit on it. Also, I’m frequently asked to kill insects. I think we men have a bright future.

SOURCE: Men No Longer Needed to Create Sperm : Environmental News Blog | Environmental Graffiti

Yup had heard about scientists work on this kind of thing before.

Interesting, ha?

biggrin.gif

This is wild, and I totally agree, that this is overstepping the bounds of nature...

Back