About the expensive products that people stock up on.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i saw a girl on youtube who had approximately 1800 products, costing tens of thousands of dollars. thats really sad. really really sad. that is obsession & a huge waste of life & money.

BUT to my point. aha. since not everyone can afford expensive products MAC and whatnot, howabout make some tutorials using cheaper products. the ones that i use in my tuts are very cheap. dirt cheap almost, but have very good quality.

thanks!

rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif

I think she posted her video on this forum.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a lot of makeup if you can afford it.

I think it's a bit harsh to say it's a waste of life and money.

well it depends on whether or not it is the central focus of your life. i mean, if someone can have that much makeup, & have a healthy non-obsessive life, than it isnt a waste. her job must be freaking awesome. =] but now that i think of it, people whom are create want a lot to work with in their art..it makes sense. but it really all just depends on how she spends her life & her own deeprooted outlook on life. it just doesnt seem to me like people who obsess over anything really get out to experience much, but i dont know. it varies from person to person. i didnt mean to offend anyone.

IMO, its a to each his own kinda thing. What works for one wont work for another. There is essentially nothing wrong with buying alot of makeup, but as I am growing up, I am drawing the line on what I need rather than what I can hoard. There was a time where I was spending every dime I had on high end makeup, only going somewhere two days out of the week, and the makeup got old. Makeup does have an expiration date, and IMO alot of the "stashes" that I have seen contain old makeup that I guarantee is not used.

Can I afford high end makeup, yeah, I can do that all day everyday. Am I going to use it? Nope. For me personally, it just ends up being a "look what I got" thing.

I personally would appreciate more tutorials with lower end makeup (not really lower end, but cheaper), like the one that Aquilah did on the Wet n Wild palettes and the one that Shaundra did with prestige liquid liner. We do have members here that may not be able to buy high end makeup, and it would be nice to let them see that MAC is not the only way of life for a woman that wants to wear makeup.

I totally agree with Aprill! I do buy mostly high end, and I almost went down the road of buying to just say I have it, rather than buying to wear it. I then thought about all of the expiration dates too... and I just didn't want to get into wasting that kind of money on products I would never get to touch. It's kinda impossible to use all of your makeup in stashes that large.

My makeup stash is way too big now, and I still buy products, but I've cut back SO much from what it used to be... and what it would've become.

I saw the video here too. I don't mean to offend but IMO it is obsessive. I mean I whole drawer of face powder and foundations? When I saw the vid I seriously felt depressed, I would feel so bad if I had that much makeup because you just can't use it all and it'll end up being a waste because they will go bad. I already feel bad if I neglect one of my items for too long haha.

I correct myself, she freelances for MAC, so the investment is not as big as it would be for us mere mortals lol.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif IMO, its a to each his own kinda thing. What works for one wont work for another. There is essentially nothing wrong with buying alot of makeup, but as I am growing up, I am drawing the line on what I need rather than what I can hoard. There was a time where I was spending every dime I had on high end makeup, only going somewhere two days out of the week, and the makeup got old. Makeup does have an expiration date, and IMO alot of the "stashes" that I have seen contain old makeup that I guarantee is not used.
Can I afford high end makeup, yeah, I can do that all day everyday. Am I going to use it? Nope. For me personally, it just ends up being a "look what I got" thing.

I personally would appreciate more tutorials with lower end makeup (not really lower end, but cheaper), like the one that Aquilah did on the Wet n Wild palettes and the one that Shaundra did with prestige liquid liner. We do have members here that may not be able to buy high end makeup, and it would be nice to let them see that MAC is not the only way of life for a woman that wants to wear makeup.

that is pretty much what i was trying to say, but it came out more harsh than i wanted. im just saying that i see no reason in buying something that you will hardly ever wear, if ever.

Hmm... tens of thousands of dollars... if I had a "superficial" budget like that, it would go into clothes and shoes because you can only use so much makeup and like everyone else said, it will go bad.

I have a problem with my buying up makeup because I think it looks pretty regardless of whether or not I have something similar already.lol.

Alot of people with massive collections have discounts anyways so a MAC lipstick would cost the same as something by Revlon after the discount. If i want something from MAC I tell my friend to get it because she has a pro card. Also I have both expensive and cheap makeup and when i see a tutorial I just use whatever I have and match the colors. I don't mind that people only use high end makeup actually.

I get what you're saying, when I saw the video my first reaction was "why would you spend that much money?"... it would be an obsession and a waste of money if that person hardly uses that stash or looks like it doesn't wear makeup at all. But if girl can afford it - then whatever.

I would be happy to make tutorials on lower-end product. I only own NYX shadows that are "lower" end because every other find was not to my liking. My stash is very small compared to a lot - even folks who have lower-end stuff have more than me and collections like HIP and MAX Factor aren't THAT cheap IMO. Haha. But it's small for a reason, I buy stuff I know I'll use... good thing Aprill brought up the whole "makeup expiration" part because I think most folks don't take that into consideration.

Hi:

You're right Aprill, it certainly is "to each his own". I prefer to keep my personal (and pro kit) makeup stocked with both low and high-end products. Products will be anywhere from WNW (love their lipliners (how can you beat a $0.99); clear lipgloss

and e/s palettes) to Dior.

The things I won't compromise on are skincare, primer, foundation, setting powder and concealer.

I've seen people own three cars and I've always wondered why they would waste their money on three cars, so to each their own.

i think everybody has their own obsession. for myself, i like to collect blushes and scarves which i don't normally use everyday. but like some said, if she can afford it then that's all good. those foundation/powder are probably the only things she splurged on and nothing else.
smile.gif

Why get down on people for purchasing what they want? If they can afford it and want it, good for them.

Everyone made a lot of really good points!

I have mostly high end, and my "excuse" has always been the quality is better, and in some things it really is. But honestly? When I look in the mirror after using HE as opposed to drugstore I don't see a whole lot of difference.

Overall, I would rather have a smaller stash of high end over a big drugstore stash that I will only use half of.

The biggest point I think to be made here is that a lot of people spend $$ on high end or a LOT of makeup and they CAN'T afford it, but they will never admit that.

Really great discussion, I think!

Surely people can spend their money on what they want? If they want to spend thousands on makeup then that's up to them.

well if people spend that much money on makeup, that's their problem. personally i think it's a matter of what works for you and what doesn't. i also admit i will splurge on a few items and use cheaper ones for the rest because i know cheap eyeliners work just as well as the more expensive ones, but i don't see myself without my precious UDPP.

i also admit i like to take a look at MAC eyeshadows just to find after the mineral lookalike (same quality for me, but with a lower price).

I also agree with many other posters/MUTers here - if she/he can afford it, why not buy it? People say I'm obsessive with makeup and whatnot, but honestly, it makes me happy. And I usually always afford it, unless of course it's a bad month for phone bills, birthdays, etc. I disagree with the "waste of life/money", "sad" things you said, too.

I'm not denying there are some really great cheaper brands and individual products out there, but I know for me drug-store brands and mid-priced brands like l'oreal just didn't work. I've spent hundreds over the years on cheaper brands, to find that they were pretty rubbish. Now that, to me, is a waste of money

Latest posts

Back