Let's be honest

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
lets pretend your s.o. will never see this and be totally HONEST, is he the love of your life the person you dreamed of, who you would imagine when you were little, are you infatuated by him does he make your heart skip a beat when you see him, does he say all the right things? is it just me, because at 35 i cant say i have EVER found this person and i dont think that personeven exiists, i care about my kids dada slash my husband, but every time i see a romantic movie or hear a sappy song it reminds me of NO ONE, and i seriously believe that i will die without a "love of my life", i'm too old at this point to belivee in that shit, ND ITS A *****, sorry to rant but i'm soo frustrated with life and i have no sisteres, friends, mother nor any other fenmale in my life to confide in and this is the only place i can vent, sorry if i sound retarded but sometimes life sux!!!!!!!

I can truly say yes... I don't think we ever end up marrying the person we dreamed of marrying while growing up. Not to mention, you can't control who you fall in love with, and if you're always chasing a dream, then you'll never get what you truly should have IMHO. Honestly sweetie, it sounds to me like you LOVE your husband, but you're not IN LOVE with him.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can truly say yes... I don't think we ever end up marrying the person we dreamed of marrying while growing up. Not to mention, you can't control who you fall in love with, and if you're always chasing a dream, then you'll never get what you truly should have IMHO. Honestly sweetie, it sounds to me like you LOVE your husband, but you're not IN LOVE with him. yeah...i know, i realize that ...i have now for the last couple of months...and it sux and i honestly dont know what to do, but your very very right. im totally sobbing as i read what you say,and i'm so sick of it.

mm, my current partner is not what I expected when I was little, but in a lot of ways, he's more real, and definately better than anything I had dreamed up.

My heart doesn't skip a beat, but I do want to be in his arms forever.

I do know how you feel about that 'true love' etc etc, but I'm not sure if that is even real - I loved my first boyfriend in that way, but it wasn't 'real' in that it didn't (and could be expected to) last forever.

I'm not sure I'll ever feel that way again, but I'm glad of that, because I was completely blind to his faults, I stopped spending time with my family.

I love my current boyfriend very much, but I also know what his faults are, and I can accept them. Just because I'm not madly, crazily obsessed with him doesn't mean that what I feel for him is worth less.

I think as we get older we have to accept that maybe that feeling exists, but maybe it doesn't - and if it did, how practical is it? in my personal experience, that isn't really true love, it's obsession. True love is seeing someone for what they truly are, and still wanting to be with them for every day for the rest of your life. True love is making his favourite meal when you know he's had a bad day, or watching his choice of movie because you know how badly he wanted to see it.

I also read romantic books, or watch romantic movies and feel sad that it's not like that, but then I don't really think that it ever is. I know I'm not really old, maybe some people might think I'm cynical, but I think of myself practical, and I don't think I should de-value how I feel about my boyfriend just because it's not like a rom-com
smile.gif

I hope this helps.. I don't know if I've sounded really cynical and miserable or not, LOL

The absolute love of my life was my first husband. he was not a good husband by any means but he is the only one that gave me butterflies. He is the only one that I ever cried over. I was so in love with him and when I left him it was the hardest choice I had ever made up until then.

Now, at 42, I'm a little more pragmatic. I still think there is romantic love in the world. I also think that people take too much advantage of the ones they love the most. Marriage is hard. HARD. real life sets in and the honey moon is over but.......we get out of it what we out into it.

The people that think any relationship can truly be 50/50 need to learn that there is no such thing. It's ok though. The giving goes back and forth. Sometimes you might be giving 75% then you are giving 25% a year later. People change, situations change.

Me.....not looking for that grand love anymore. I've been married twice. I have a man that I can send home at night but can still have fun, be myself and laugh with. That is what "I" want right now.

Don't anyone give up on true love. It's out there and it's possible but I do believe that people have many great loves in their lives so if you have had one and they are gone, it doesn't mean you won't find it again. Sometimes the 2nd time around is even better.....or maybe the 3rd will be the charm.

you know, you guys have your own opinions and i appreciate each one, because your taking the time to answer my question, and i thank you guys f or it, i guess when your really young and you get your heart broken you still have that hope that "one day my prince wil come'" BULLSHIT, LMAO, but then there comes a time when you realize, ok...at this point it still hasnt happened, so maybe it doesnt even exist, stop chasing a pipe dream basically...

I think we all go through periods, especially married and long term committed people, that sometimes...our SO get on our damn nerves. And when they get on our nerves, they sometimes come off as nightmares. I think you love your husband, if you didn't, you probably never would have gave him beautiful babies.

I love my husband with all my heart...there are times that I crave him. There are times that he gets on my damn nerves. Is he my dream...no, that's why it is a dream and IMO I leave all that "man of my dreams" crap to Disney. It is impossible to be perfect. Does he say the right things? No. He says all the wrong things.

He couldn't smooth talk shit out of his ass
smile.gif
So he cant sweet talk me.

Hold your head up, be strong, and dont worry, everything will be okay
love5.gif

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I did too for a while. It has taken time after my divorce for me to even be able to think civilly about relationships. I hope it gets better for you anyway.

I think we all go through periods, especially married and long term committed people, that sometimes...our SO get on our damn nerves. And when they get on our nerves, they sometimes come off as nightmares. I think you love your husband, if you didn't, you probably never would have gave him beautiful babies.
I love my husband with all my heart...there are times that I crave him. There are times that he gets on my damn nerves. Is he my dream...no, that's why it is a dream and IMO I leave all that "man of my dreams" crap to Disney. It is impossible to be perfect. Does he say the right things? No. He says all the wrong things.

He couldn't smooth talk shit out of his ass
smile.gif
So he cant sweet talk me.

aah, thanx for your sweet words, i think alot about what you say, and you know, sometimes i can go days without talking to him, but he dont care and the worst part is that he was crazy about me, he was sooo after me and i wanted nothing to do with him, until i said maybe i should be with him since i was always the one after some guy who just wanted booty, and i thought maybe i will be different, but... after almost 6 years i think its not.

chicken, of course you want that whole 'prince' thing, I'm sure a little piece of all of us wants that, it's ok to want it. I didn't mean to sound like some bad tempered old grump, lol.

I just think that it's ok to not feel like your relationship is perfect all the time, and just because your hubster is less than perfect and annoys the crap out of you (like the bf annoys me sometimes) it doesnt mean you don't love him, it means you're in a working relationship
biggrin.gif

Well, I can't imagine my life without Andrew. We've been together 9 years and will be married this spring. He's my best friend and I'm still super attracted to him. There are days when he annoys the hell out of me, sure, but I bet most people go through that even when they're with someone they love deeply. I've also gone through periods of uncertainty and doubt about our relationship, but whenever I'm not with him I don't feel at peace, and he balances me out...so I know we're meant to be. I can only imagine that being married and having kids will present even more challenges and changes in our relationship, so I'm sure I'll feel doubt or unfulfilled at one time or another in the future, but I think as long as you're open to working on the relationship and you have good communication with your partner, you can continue to fall in love with them many times throughout your relationship.

IMHO

Love is SO much more than feelings. If I went by my feelings about everything in whatever given moment that I felt them, I would be in a sorry state.

Love is an action, and its a commitment.

I think the key in any relationship is to be committed to that person. Not to put so much pressure on them by having a ton of expectations that no human being can ever meet.

I didn't marry for the first (and only) time till I was 44. Marriage is VERY HARD. I think part of the illusion these days is also that it's hard and no one talks about how hard it is till it has fallen apart. Some people look at other couples and think their relationship must be soooo perfect, but if you could be a fly on the wall in their home you would likely see something very different.

Just some random thoughts!

Diana....I'm no relationship expert, my s.o. and I broke up about 6 months ago and right now I have no interest whatsoever in dating or looking for "Mr. Right". I honestly think that all the mushy movies and books about romance give all of us an unrealistic idea of what a long term relationship is. We get sold this picture and it's not real. I am a hopeless romantic and I think that's partly why I suck at the real thing. I kept thinking Mr. Perfect will come and carry me off and life doesn't work that way. Now I know there is no such thing, I know what a relationship requires and I'm just not sure I care to put in that much effort. God...that sounds horriblely selfish, but I can't help it. Maybe I haven't met the person that makes me WANT to put in that effort, I don't know.

I do believe that when you've been with someone a long time that feelings change and ebb and flow and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think if you love that person, then you stick it out and vice versa. If things are as bad as you feel they are maybe you could try marriage counseling? Whatever you decide to do, we're here for you.
hugss.gif

Originally Posted by Kathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Diana....I'm no relationship expert, my s.o. and I broke up about 6 months ago and right now I have no interest whatsoever in dating or looking for "Mr. Right". I honestly think that all the mushy movies and books about romance give all of us an unrealistic idea of what a long term relationship is. We get sold this picture and it's not real. I am a hopeless romantic and I think that's partly why I suck at the real thing. I kept thinking Mr. Perfect will come and carry me off and life doesn't work that way. Now I know there is no such thing, I know what a relationship requires and I'm just not sure I care to put in that much effort. God...that sounds horriblely selfish, but I can't help it. Maybe I haven't met the person that makes me WANT to put in that effort, I don't know.
I do believe that when you've been with someone a long time that feelings change and ebb and flow and it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think if you love that person, then you stick it out and vice versa. If things are as bad as you feel they are maybe you could try marriage counseling? Whatever you decide to do, we're here for you.
hugss.gif

you guys are great!!! i dont expect my husband to be perfect because i know i'm not, its just that its kinda dissapointing when you realize...this isnt what you wanted things to be like, and now there isnt much you can do, you can only go the extreme way or be in it and be depressed and put up a front.

I can honestly say that my SO makes my heart skip a beat, I'm totally infatuated with him, and I know I've found "the one". He's not perfect, and we don't have a perfect relationship, but I am totally, madly in love with him.

I don't think any relationship is perfect, we all go through ups and downs. I hope things get better for you soon!

i love him and we get along great most of the time but am I hopelssly in love like the movies? nope but we work and i'm happy most the time but could you tell me how totrain him to do more chores?

Ugh, I'm right there with you. I've been married for a couple of years now. I so believe in true love and romance and all that stuff. It's more like comfortable, convenience now. It's easier to be together for both of us then to be apart. I remember the beginning and the chasing and I can still think of those times and it gives my butterflies. I'm always looking for the answer if he is the "one" for me. I'm torn. Like the saying goes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I don't want to find out later in life, if we ever split that he was the one great love of my life. I don't want to take the chance of ruining our marriage now, just to find out the answer to that question and be regretting it for the rest of my life. For now I'll treasure all the good times we have have, and hope we get out of the slump that we're in. Some men really need to get a clue, that once they got us they still need to do things to keep us.
handkuss.gif

yes... I love him so much, it's been 4 years, but i still feel such warmness in my heart when I think of him
smile.gif
He definitely has some really annoying features... but overall, he is such carrying, real, honest and loving guy that he is pretty close to my childhood images. I just hope it will last long, long time.
smile.gif

It is important to be realistic and take the sips of bitterness that come with all relationships, because that is how life is. As long as the sweetness outweights the bitterness, of course.

well let's see....we've been together for 9 years and he's a good person. He does support the family and i can pretty much get sex anytime i want. He's not a slacker, he can drink alcohol and get loose and i can honestly say that he's never ever thought about cheating on me ever...it's not who he is or his personality. Besides, he can get it anytime he wants..so he doesn't have much to complain about.

He doesn't make my heart jump or anything like that...but he's there when i'm horny and that'll do!!!!

Back