Your experience with sun in??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, i remember reading something about sun in awhile back ago, but couldn't find it. i used it when i was younger and it worked great, but i don't remember anything about it really damaging my hair, just that i had really dark roots(it was summer and my hair got really light). so i'm just wondering if any of you have used it, what your experience was with it b/c i've read good and bad. i'm wanting to lighten up my hair and take out that golden look from coloring a few months ago.

I tried it once and it turned my hair orange. My hair is naturally dark brown. it's been many years though.

I used it once years ago in high school and it made my hair orange too....it's very drying too.

it is very damaging. i wouldn't recommend it. most stylists are hesitant to color hair that sun in has been used on

agreed, it made my hair very brittle and dry
smile.gif

I used it in high school - many years ago! Anyways, I had medium brown hair and it turned my hair orange. I have to take some of the blame because I think it was meant to be used on blond hair.

Personally, if you want to lighten your hair a bit, go to a professional. You'll get the colour you're looking for. Sun in is too unpredictable.

Yep, turned my friend's hair orange too. It was many years ago. Then again her sister uses hydrogen peroxide, the one for cuts and such and goes basking in the sun. Her hair is beautiful and the shade of blonde she gets is gorgeous which is really odd because that doesn't seem to work for anyone else but her lol.

well, i have very dark golden blonde naturally, but it's sort of bronze from me coloring it a few months ago. i liked the sun in when i was a kid, but only used it for one summer. i heard that the one with lemon in it is suppose to be not as strong, i mean it's peroxide right? so it's going to be drying and your hair if dark at all will go through the changes of color, i just wasn't sure if it was just as bad as getting your hair dyed, or better or worse, you know. sitll researching. but thanks for everyones input with there experience. i'll keep it in mind. i might just get my hair colored back to natural, and have natural looking highlights put in it.

I used this stuff in middle school, it turned my hair orange as well. Granted, I didn't really mind then, but I would now.

What's bad about the sun in is that once you use it, it doesn't matter if you stop using it, the hair where you applied will progressively get lighter and lighter every time you're in the sun. So if you want to color it later it may affect how it looks.

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif What's bad about the sun in is that once you use it, it doesn't matter if you stop using it, the hair where you applied will progressively get lighter and lighter every time you're in the sun. So if you want to color it later it may affect how it looks. do you know if it's the same thing as getting your hair bleached, b/c i know that whenever i got my hair highlighted they had to bleach it, which to me came out very light and looked as if it got lighter in time too. it also damaged my hair bad. i just thought that maybe if i used it little by little it might not turn out like that.i might just stick with my lemon juice and the sun, which it does seem to make it a little dryer, but after i use my deep conditioning treatment and lay off of it for a couple of days, it seems fine. i just started using it a few times a week.

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif One word
orange

sorry, i just thought that was funny. i wish i could find some real pictures from people who've used it.

It was so popular when I was high school. As others have said, it turned my hair orange, and I had blonde hair to begin with. Everyone that used it turned their hair an obnoxious color.

II used it to fade a really bad dye job , but i would never use it to go blonde.

Oooohhh...Bad!
wink.gif
My hair is dark brown. I used this years ago when I was in high school. It turned orange. For whatever reason (Likely the terrible fashion at the time..late 80's *shudder*) I didn't think it looked bad. Looking at pics. from that time...Someone should have smacked me! LOL

1.It doesn't work right.

2. There are so many better lightening options now that it's a relic of the 70's.

Back