Is there a mineral makeup suitable for women of color?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never tried mineral foundation but it looks to good to be true.

Easy to apply and flawless coverage.

However what I've noticed is in addition to many mineral foundations having a small amount of shades to choose from, many contain Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide which is not good for skin of color (causes ashiness)

cowboy.gif

Does TO and ZO cause ashiness in appearance, or actual ashy dry skin? I know Milan Minerals has TO and ZO, but it's a brand created specifically for ethnic skin tones. I can only assume that those two ingredients don't cause an ashy appearance in the Milan foundation formula because I know a lot of black women on this forum like it.

I am a woman of color and I use Everyday Minerals darkest shade in warm. It works perfect for me and it doesn't break me out which seems so impossible. There aren't a whole lot of MMU companies that have darker skin colors for a reasonable price so once I found EDM after shopping around for months I just stuck with a winner!

As for milan minerals I've heard good things about it but I've seen the pics of women wearing it and it looks TERRIBLE.

So........

I've never tried mineral foundation but it looks to good to be true.Easy to apply and flawless coverage.

However what I've noticed is in addition to many mineral foundations having a small amount of shades to choose from, many contain Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide which is not good for skin of color (causes ashiness)

Hi

I have been doing a lot of research on mineral makeup ingredients and companies and saw that 4 companies stated their lines were tailored to women of color:

ADA Cosmetics

Monave Mineral Makeup

Sterling Minerals

Valana Minerals

Note - I haven't used any of these lines since I have pale Irish skin.

Also, the following companies state they do not use Titanium Dioxide in their makeup:

Crush Groove Cosmetics

Earth's Beauty

Miessence Organic Mineral Makeup.

Hope this helps,

G

There are many out there and you just have to search them out. The best way is do a google search for specifically what you are looking for. It is best to stick with the ones who specialize in mineral makeup for your skin tone. The trick with the deep skin tones for minerals is that there has to be a good balance between teh zinc, titanium and serecite and the other ingredients used for color such as the iron oxides. Too much zinc and titanium will make it weird looking and not enough will leave it lacking in coverage. Basically with minerals the coverage comes from the tianium dioxide and the zinc. They have superb coverage, they are totally opaque. Serecite and talc and other powders aer translucent so there is no coverage. It is a bit tricky to get the deep foundations right. So make sure that where ever you go that you order samples and go out into the daylight with a mirror and look at the samples on your skin. There should not be an obvious difference between your skin color and the makeup. So my dear when you find a company that has your perfect shade let others know.
smile.gif

THe ashyness is not from the whiteners such as zinc or titanium themselves. it would be the iron oxides that are used, meaning the combination of the iron oxides. If a lot of black oxide is used then is is gong to mix with the zinc and titanium and be greyish. It is basics of the color wheel really. So the combinations of shades mixed and the whiteners will give you the color and it is a tricky thing to get the deep shades right. Trial and error...so there is really nothing wrong with using titanium or zinc but it is how you mix it all up.

So have you been looking for a company? I am currious as to which one you found. Let us know when you find a place and tell us how it turns out. I like to know so that I may pass info along. Thanks

There are numerous MMU Lines that are suitable for women of color

Here are some:

Milan Minerals

B.L.A.C. Minerals

Valana Minerals

These companies are all owned by women of color.

I heard god things about valana minerals but have never tried them and plus they seem expensive. But I guess I would mind paying alot for something that works great.

I actually like Milan minerals in the foundation. I received a sample of Brooklyn with a few others about 2 weeks ago. Brooklyn is like a perfect match for me. It has just the right amount of yellow/gold in it. I've tried Everyday Minerals and BE but they make me look pink. Im not pink.

Definitely. Try Monave Mineral Makeup. They cater to women of color, and currently, carry the most variety of shades for women of color.

Jane Iredale carries shades for women of colour. I was actually at a product knowledge siminar for JI yesterday, and at the end of the day we had prac, there was women of all colours in our class, and everyone was able to find a nice colour to wear.

I saw a vid on youtube on Jane Iredale makeup being applied on a African American women and it looked terrible.

It was probably the makeup artist.

Hey, I'm a woman of color and I use Everyday minerals. I know it contains Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, but I haven't had any problems with ashiness. Their Sandy Medium in Warm matches my complexion perfectly

How about Pure Luxe? IIRC, the owner there is also a woman of color.

Good luck! I hope that you find something that works for you.
smile.gif

Edit: Sorry... I was mistaken.
blush.gif

Back