Dry Flaky Skin Around Nose: HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It could be that it's just winter but my nose is seriously flaky....when I rub it, dry skin flakes are all over my fingers and it's driving me nuts! I really love my dream matte mouse but I've stopped wearing it until I can get my skin around my nose into a moisturized state because it really shows with that foundation. I even tried putting Olay Quench body lotion on my nose, and the next morning I had a nice little zit right in the center of it!
add_wegbrech.gif
If anyone has the same problem or have any suggestions, please let me know, I'm at my wit's end!....

This winter my skin has been extremely dry as well. I haven't changed my routine (I use Aveeno products), but you should try browsing the Skin Care forum, I think you'd have more luck there!

Exfoliate! I used to have this problem too and ever since i started using Mary Kay's Microdermabrassion Kit twice a week I no longer have that problem.

I second exfoliating. I get dry patches around my nose and mouth and exfoliating a few times week and moisturizing takes care of it for me.

I had a cold for two weeks and my nose got all dry and flaky because I was always using tissues for my runny nose, so at night I put Vaseline on it, and it was good as new.

Thank you so much for all the advice...I really appreciate it and will have to try exfoliating my face to see if that helps....

Anddrea, by the way, one of the "Jr. Admins" decided that my topic was not suited for Skin Care Talk....wtf.....maybe I'm just crazy but I think dry noses have everything to do with skin care but whateverhttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies5/bs.gif

bs.gif

but anywayshttps://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/smilies8/vogel.gif

vogel.gif

I've actually had this problem all winter. I haven't fixed it completely, but I changed my face wash to a more gentle one, started using cetaphil cream moisturizer just around my nose, and I exfoliate all the time. This keeps it from getting too bad.

you could try some aloe vera gel (u can get a pure or organic one from any drugstore, it's clear and colorless and in gel form rather than cream), i get abit flaky in the dry weather here, especially around my nose and upper cheeks, but I can't use creamy-heavy stuff to moisturize because my skin is quite sensitive, so I keep some aloe vera gel handy for that purpose, it works for me. btw, you can also try a milk mask (just a simple paste of milk powder and water) and leave it on your whole face or the flaky areas for abt 15-20mins, the lactic acid in the milk will provide gentle exfoliation along with nourishment (milk protein and vitamins) and leave things alot smoother (i actually do this abt twice a week). try it out!
smile.gif

hmm...I'll have to try the gentle face wash out

I'm definitely going to have to try the milk face mask, that sounds interesting! What kind of powder is it....and how much of each do you use?

I would exfoliate while showering. Moisturize first and then lather it up with vaseline after shower. You'll be nice and shiny, but at least no one will see you and you'll be smoother.

pinkbundles and rawrrawrrawrramy, I'll have to give the vaseline tip a go too....I'll just have to make sure I do it at night so I don't walk around looking like a shiny manequin, lol

During winter my nose is always dry and flaky due to my constantly running nose - for me, Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream does the trick. The smell is weird, especially when it's so close to the nose, but it works wonders, I swear by it!

Originally Posted by rocksinger007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif hmm...I'll have to try the gentle face wash out
I'm definitely going to have to try the milk face mask, that sounds interesting! What kind of powder is it....and how much of each do you use?

sorry for being late...but yeah, you can use about 2-3 table spoons of milk powder and 2-3 teaspoons of green tea (brew a hot cup beforehand) or warm water...that's the basic milk mask...you can also add 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel into the mixture, or you can add a tea spoon or two of honey if you'd like (I don't), it's a humectant (seals in moisture) and helps with dryness...the texture should be thick and gloopy, so just enough liquid to moisten the milk powder for you to able to slather it on your face. Then just let the paste dry on your face (abt 15mins) before rinsing off with warm water, then just apply your regular moisturizer after that. In my case when parts of my face are particularly flaky I just do the mask and apply the aloe vera gel as my moisturizer (you can use vaseline instead, but my skin get irritated easily so I can't) before going to bed.
you can use regular cow milk powder (the generic ones u get at the supermarket, fortified with vitamins, minerals and protein) or formula milk powder (for babies...lol) or organic milk powder...I was using organic milk powder, which I got from a health food store, I did not intend to use it on my face and wanted to drink it (I love milk lol), thought it be be good to help me jumpstart an 'organic' lifestyle...I ended up not drinking it, it was gross, so I started using it on my face instead...lol...my face loves it alot more than my taste buds do...I've gone back to drinking good ol' generic supermarket milk, and the powder works good enough as a mask too...lol...and yeah, I don't buy face masks anymore, I just make em at home twice a week, I have combination skin with dry patches on the tops of my cheeks and around my nose, helps them from getting flaky when the weather gets dry or cold. Good luck!

If it's extremely dry, I'd suggest putting some vaseline on that area before you sleep and make sure you use a good exfoliating product.

Does vaseline make your skin break out though? I'm a break out freak with extremely dry face so I'm scare once my dry skin is cure, I have to worry about a face full of pimple. And also, can vaseline be used as a moisturizer under make up? Or it should only be used alone?

Latest posts

Back