Hannah's Accutane Log

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I'm allowed to do this... Haha.

But Jessica inpsired me to make an accutane log, and this is more for myself, just to be able to see what happens, but feel free to ask questions or post comments. Any product reccomendations or accutane stories are much appreciated!
smile.gif

So, I'm 15 and I have had acne for pretty much the past 4 years. It's had its good and bad times, but I'm just really sick of it. I have tried everything, over the counter BP, Proactive, 6+ prescription drugs, antibiotics, arbon, soooo mannnyyy thingggss!!!
frown.gif

My skin gets soo oily during the day, but it has been dry lately b/c of the medicine i was using before accutane. (That didn't really make sense, haha, but i'm not sure how to word it.) My acne isn't like horrendous, it just wont go away!!!
eusa_wall.gif

So my dermatologist finally put me on 40mg. (I weigh about 135) a day of Accutane (Claravis) Yayy!!!

I'm on Day 4 today (of a hopefully 5 month course)

There isn't really anything that's changed yet... My lips are slightly more dry today than usual, but my lips have a tendency to be dry all the time, even before accutane. I have a couple new bumps, but i don't really think its from the medicine yet. I think it's more b/c i hadn't been using anything on my face in the few days prior to accutane.

At night I'm washing my face with a bar of Dove Sensitive Skin, and using a VERY thin layer of vaseline mixed with warm water as a moisturizer.

In the morning, I wash my face with the same Dove bar and use a Dove moisturizer. it's like the heavy moisture, or something like that. (it smells so good!! <3 )

I don't use foundation, I just use like tinted moisturizer and i try to wash it all off as soon as i get home.

I guess thats all there is to say! I'm planning on updating this regularly and hopefully see progress....
icon_confused.gif

Thanks for reading!

Hmmmm....

I don't like the dove bars. I remember using them in high school and the residue would make my skin flare up. I used to suffer from atopic dermatitis.

Good luck to you though, I hope it works
smile.gif

good luck !! maybe take some pics from time to time ? it would really show how your skin's improving
smile.gif

Good luck to you. Ive tried plenty of products but my skin was never too bad that I felt the need to take any medications. Buts its finaly clearing up and behaving good for the most part. Partly because of Mario Badescu stuff but actually the majority was because I quit.........PEANUT BUTTER. It sucks cause its the best
frown.gif
I experimented with eating and without eating and I noticed a big improvement when I finaly quit.

Sure you can do this! Some before and after or before, during and after pics would be great! Also...just a suggestion, you should probably be using a moisturizer with an SPF during the day. I didn't see you mention it.

Best of luck
smile.gif
I remember my doc put me on Benzamysen? (SP) and it worked. But then I didnt have insurance so I couldnt get anything. Anyways, pics would be good. Also, could you let us know in detail how dry your face gets? My friend was on this and her lips would get so dry they would look almost white.

Keep us updated
smile.gif

Thank so much everyone!! I'm SOOO excited!!! =]]

And I will try to put some pictures up soon... Hopefully. My computer has been...struggling. Hah.

Yes, my Dove moisturizer that I use in the morning does have an SPF of 15.

And Labrat81, thanks for the taking the pill with fat tip. That's weird! My doctor never mentioned that. Does milk have enough fat in it to take the pill with a glass of milk?

(Day 5.... Just the same... a teensy tiny bit dryer than normal...)

Hahaha oohhh boy, I apologize for the wonderful quality of pictures... my parents are paranoid about no pictures of me on the internet, which is okay, haha, but i also couldn't figure out how to download them....so this is my E for effot, starting month one pictures. No makeup (obviously...siiicckkkk......) and i had just washed my face and i have on that dove deep moisture lotion.

DAY 9 Well nothing too drastic has happened... i can definitly feel my face and lips getting dry. Not too dry, but if i don't have chapstick on (Right now I'm just using the chapstick brand, the blue moisture kind) my lips sort of sting. And today, my face ITCHED!!!!!! Oh my gosh. I almost died. Haha okay it wasn't that bad, but I'm not sure if its because its dry, or because of my moisturizer, or what. anyone have any experience with itchiness??!

I'm sure it's just my imagination, b/c i want to it to work so badly, b/c it hasn't been long enough to work, but my face almost seems a little better! Very encouraging, even if it is my imagination. Haha. I'm cautiously optimistic about not having a severe initial breakout. Any thoughts on this? Anyone not have an IB at all??

Hope you have had a great week! =]]

Aquaphor is good stuff, haha.

I still use it even though i'm off accutane.

though, i might be getting back on.

or getting back on something. :/

my son is finishing his fifth month of accutane and the doctor told him to take a vitamin e supplement everyday to help with his dry skin-it really helped with his dry eyes and skin. good luck!

I finished accutane a year and a half ago and my skin is still good. I only break out if I get lazy about taking care of my skin. Oh a be careful to look at ingredients in lip balms. I was so desperate one day I used one that I didn't know had salicylic acid on it. Oh the pain.....

Originally Posted by luxotika /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your skin is starting to look fantastic! Thanks for posting the pictures! Thank you!! =]
Thanks everyone for the help!!

DAY 11!! WOOO!! Finished my first package of 10 pills. Aquaphor is rapidly becoming my best friend... I have been taking Vitmin E so hopefully that will help with the dryness. I woke up today and my face was dry!!! Like as in flaking dry!! YAYY!! Usually when i wake up it is disturbingly oily. Hah.

The itchiness is BADDD....(around my nose is the worst too!!) but we called the doctor and got some lotion stuff. I'm also using Eucerin anti-itch calming lotion...which is my other best friend.

I have been having some headaches... Is that bad?? they aren't really bad or anything, but before i didn't really have that many... so I'm not sure...

Any reccomendations for a shampoo for siiiccckkk flakey hair?? Ick.
fad.gif

Haha, wow thats funny that you would say all that, because just yesterday i got some dry eye drops, some medicated shampoo, and started drinking more water!! But thank you so much!!

Its day 15.... I spoke too soon about the initial breakout... its not tooooo bad, but its certainly not attractive...i have a couple new big hard bumps... lovely. the dryness isn't really bad right now. I keep aquaphor on my lips pretty much 24-7 and they are doing pretty good. The headaches/dizzyness will hopefully go away with the eye drops and water... my hair is still flakey.

This wont be much help... Ive never tried Accutane or anything like that and not sure what to tell you about your dry skin and all that, seems like you got it covered anyways. Sometimes my scalp gets dry and flaky in the winter, head and shoulders works for me.

Anyways I just wanted to say good luck, and something you havent tried which may be an option: I had acne like yours in the picture from 12 years old and in 2005 (I was 14) I started birth control lol, yea I know, but it wasn't for my acne but it cleared my skin RIGHT UP. I am still taking it to this day and my skin is clear, one little breakout that week of the month lol thats all. And I use a powder foundation with SPF and wash my face, use moisturizer, normal stuff, I just wanted to tell you if you had thought of it or not, BC can really help if its a hormonal issue, like mine mainly was.

Day 16.... Those few bumps are still there (they are hard and they HURT!!! Gosh. lol) but they aren't actually that noticable...which makes me happy. I'm trying to drink alot more water... which is sort of hard for me for some reason... and yayyy for eyedrops. Haha. and I got some (off-brand..haha) itching flaking hair shampoo so hopefully that will do some go good....(Hahah...the box says tar/coal shampoo...its this attractive....orange?? color... maybe more brown?? its siiickkk.... and it smells...odd... lovely.)

and actually I tried YAZ too for like 6 months and it seemed to actually make my acne worse!! and i was even using retin- a with it! Which was dissapointing because its easy to just swallow a little pill.

DAY 17!!!

Dry skin on my arm?? RANNDDOMM... its like flakey but it doesn't hurt or anything... idk??

my face's color and skin tone actually seems to be improving from a lovely red color to a normal skin color!! WOO! I'm taking Vitimin E capsules every night and I put some Vit. E in my shampoo. Yay for aquaphor, one again. haha.

Hope everyone had a great week!! =]]

The eye drops seemed to have fixed the headaches and dizziness! Yay!

Latest posts

Back