Noob to primer!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been reading alot about this MAC Prep & Prime. I really have no clue what primer is for. Normally I just apply moisturizer and then my foundation. I remember when I went to Sephora, the lady applied this BE stuff. I remember really liking it because it made my face really smooth. She said it had silicone in it. Now I noticed MAC has two different types of face primer, but I'm not sure which is best. If there are any better face primers, let me know!! I'm trying to decide what brand to buy. TIA!!

never tried MAC, but Bare Minerals and Smashbox are excellent. I personally think the Monistat anti-chafing gel is too thick for me.

There are lots of silicone based primers out there. Some are thicker, some are thinner. I like the no-name brand on you find on different mineral makeup websites. Thinner than Smashbox, and has some good ingredients as well as the 'cones. Many facial sunscreens, especially those described as "dry" are in a 'cone base. Those work well, too.

Just make sure to thoroughly wash your face at night - 'cones are excellent barrier ingredients that form a film on the skin - that's what makes the skin feel so smooth and makeup go on so well. But it can also lead to clogs and lackluster complexion. I like to do an oil cleansing followed by one with a foaming cleanser to make sure I got it all off.

Also, sometimes primers and foundations don't play nicely and as you work with the makeup, you'll get these little boogery balls - that's the 'cones balling up. To avoid, just dont' rub your skin. Pat, bounce, stroke or stipple, but don't rub or sweep.

CVS brand, Essence of Beauty, has a great primer. I bought some last week for $9.99 and tried it-- I really like it.

I use Monistat Anti-chafing gel for primer too.

Warmly,

Brandi

Originally Posted by beaglette /img/forum/go_quote.gif CVS brand, Essence of Beauty, has a great primer. I bought some last week for $9.99 and tried it-- I really like it.
I use Monistat Anti-chafing gel for primer too.

Warmly,

Brandi

Is there a website for the Essence of Beauty primer? I looked on the CVS site, but there is TONS of Essence of Beauty stuff.

I looked on the site and couldn't find it
frown.gif

I found it at my local CVS.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Warmly,

Brandi

Originally Posted by Stephie Baby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is there a website for the Essence of Beauty primer? I looked on the CVS site, but there is TONS of Essence of Beauty stuff.

erm, can i ask whats the difference between a primer and a moisturizer? currently i wear moisturizer under my foundation and it seems OK..but then again i wouldnt know what to compare it to because i've never used a primer before...do you girls who use a primer use a moisturizer too?

Originally Posted by musicalhouses /img/forum/go_quote.gif erm, can i ask whats the difference between a primer and a moisturizer? currently i wear moisturizer under my foundation and it seems OK..but then again i wouldnt know what to compare it to because i've never used a primer before...do you girls who use a primer use a moisturizer too? Its been my experience that moisturizers are used to...well moisturize and primers are used to provide your foundation a fresh smooth canvas. It makes your foundation last a looooooooooooooooong time as well and some are even suppose to fill in wrinkles. I have very oily areas on my face and I find that primer really helps absorve the oil and makes my foundation last longer.
BTW I love the MAC SPF 50 as well as the That Gal by benefit.

ok thanks! my skin is oily sometimes but during colder weather (like now -__-) it gets very dry! like, if-i-dont-moisturize-for-one-night-the-next-morning-the-skin-around-my-mouth-will-be-peeling kind of dry...which is why i wear my moisturizer under my foundation, because i use powder foundation and crackly skin + powder foundation on top = not fun....would a primer help with that? and if i decided to wear a primer, should i wear it over the moisturizer or just not use moisturizer at all?

I don't use primers. They always leave my face feeling greasy and never allow my foundations to work the way they should.

You can def. layer a primer over a moisturizer - just let the moisturizer absorb for a few minutes first. That should def. help with your dry skin issues.

Also, a mask of plain old honey is great for ridding skin of dry flakes - it's super hydrating and soothing and antibacterial, to boot.

Back