Forever 21 = Forever Copying?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
forver21dvf.jpg
forver21dvf.jpg
DVF dress R: Forever21’s copy | Stealstyle

The company has no famous designers or ad budget, nor a single public relations flack. Yet its revenue topped $1 billion in 2006, catapulting Forever 21 into the ranks of the top 500 privately held companies in the United States.

In just five years, it has quadrupled in size, crushing competitors like Rampage and Gadzooks—and is putting the squeeze on mighty retailers like the Gap. In 2001, the house that khakis built posted a $7.7 million loss, while Forever 21 boasted 64 percent growth in revenue thanks to 36 new stores sprinkled across the country.

How did an operation founded by poor Korean immigrants and headquartered in L.A.’s sweatshop district so rapidly become a player in an industry dominated by huge European conglomerates? Its founders chalk it all up to hard work and a frugal .

Others allege outright design theft. In the past year, the company has faced more than two dozen federal lawsuits for piracy, brought by labels including Anna Sui, Diane von Furstenberg, and Gwen Stefani’s Harajuku Lovers, along with a raft of fabric manufacturers.

At the center of the storm are
Do Won “Don†Chang and his wife, Jin Sook
, the ferociously private, deeply Christian couple who founded the store 24 years ago. “In L.A.’s Korean community they’re a constant topic of gossip and speculation. Everyone has a story about being screwed by them,†says a local fashion player. “But you have to admire their success. People join their church just to get close to them,†he adds…

Compared to their attention-addicted fashion-world colleagues, the Changs are careful to maintain a low profile. There is exactly one photograph of them available online. Last year, after consenting to an in-person interview with the New York Times, they unexpectedly sent a proxy instead. (The surprised reporter described the substitute interviewee as having “a born-again zeal.â€) Still, despite their best efforts, the intensely private pair have become a hotly discussed topic in L.A.’s close-knit apparel industry.
The variations and permutations that define fashion—hemlines, stitches, sleeves—sit outside of U.S. copyright law; only logos and are protected. “Just about every other area of creativity gets some kind of protection. Fashion design gets next to none.â€
says Susan Scafidi, a professor of copyright law at Fordham Law School who runs counterfeitchic.com. “And Forever 21’s rip-offs are, in many cases, extremely blatant.â€

But while the designs aren’t protected, the original fabric prints may be. Which is why, when Forever 21 produced a rose-patterned dress clearly “inspired†by a Betsey Johnson original in 2007, Betsey Johnson, Inc., didn’t sue. Instead, Carole Hochman Design Group, the Johnson vendor that actually created the pattern, took Forever 21 to court.

In a bid to curtail copycats, Representative William Delahunt introduced the Design Piracy Prohibition Act in 2007. As president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, Diane von Furstenberg is a key proponent of the legislation. Oddly enough, though, she’s also one of the few claimants to have settled with Forever 21, under undisclosed terms in September.
3459.jpg
3459.jpg
Forever 21 copies a Marc Jacobs handbag
forevertop.jpg
forevertop.jpg
Forever 21 copies a Kate Moss Top Shop creation

source

source

I read that on Radar. Pretty interesting... but meh, competitors need to lower their damn prices on the real to appeal more to the masses.

But Forever seriously needs to stop jacking up the prices. It's getting ridiculous with all their different companies.

I fixed the pictures

But this goes into the great debate of would you rather have something authentic or would you rather have a dupe? Now as far as clothes go, I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. They are providing a cheap alternative to younger people to wear what they cant afford, and it is really pointless to these companies to make a big deal of it. Yes, the real thing has better fabric quality, and that is about it.

i don't see anything wrong with it. there are a lot of people who can't afford expensive name-brand clothes & stores like this give everybody an opportunity to be fashionable. there's no harm in duplicating other brands' clothing, a lot of lines do it. like all of these fake LV pocketbooks i see everywhere. i don't think it causes the high-end stores to really lose business because some people want the real thing, and they're willing to pay the price.

there isn't any forever 21's around me tho- it sucks!
frown.gif

I don't see anything wrong with it either because they're not trying to pass off their apparel as the original. On the contrary, I think it generates even more interest and desire for the original creations. In the same way, all the counterfeit Rolexes and LV's just make people more determined to eventually buy the real thing.
smile.gif

And it sucks that we can't get Forever 21 Down Under!
frown.gif
frown.gif

I think Forever 21 is great! I always look for clothes in similar patterns or styles to the designers that I like, and Forever 21 is one of my go-to stores!

It DOES seem like they've been raising their prices, though...

Ditto on raising their prices, I went the other day to purchase a shirt, it was over $20!! I was WTH!

Oh well, I personally hope they keep doing what they do. They have cute stuff at good prices. And I seriously doubt I'd ever be able to afford the brands they're "copying" so it's nice to have an alternative for people on my type of budget. And the big companies are probably not losing any money anyway, because the rich people they cater to are still going to buy their stuff, they aren't going to switch over to F21. And the less-rich people wouldn't buy their stuff anyway, if F21 or any other brand didn't copy them.

I just love their tops and accessories!its really really pretty! I have their huge collections of earrings where I can never find it anywhere else in my place.

Well, the CEO is asian...so what did u expect? ofc they're going to make fake knock offs! lol, I keed I keed
biggrin.gif

But yea, my 1st retail job yrs ago was at Forever 21. They seemed to clean up a bit better as the F21 stores here were horrendous! The managers weren't doing their jobs and employees were quitting left and right. The changing rooms were strewn with clothes and nobody was maintaining their zone. It looked like a storm ransacked the store. I definitely noticed the prices are higher. I wonder if their employee discount are better, cuz when I used to work there our discount was only 10%! lol, cheapos! As for quality wise, a lot of their stuff is polyester, rayon and what not. Its rare to see 100% cotton, but if it's something REALLY nice I'd buy it. Most of their stuff don't fit me anyway. Not every American here has a body like an Asian ...even tho I'm an ABC (american born chinese) They need to free more room in the bust and waist area...like SERIOUSLY. lol, but I do admit I used to buy a crap load of their bags and accessories (since they're cute) and those tees with random sayings
biggrin.gif

I dont see anything wrong with it.... the prices are mor affordable to people... I like to get trendy outfits there that I know I will only like for a season so then I dont waste as much $ ....

It's funny...I've bought so many things from there that I love and have later found to be knock-offs. It's nice that they're copying higher end brands, though. I remember three years ago they were copying guess and babyphat and such and because those brands are so mainstream it was obvious to everyone that you were wearing a cheap knockoff.

I like a lot of the clothes that Forever 21 has, but their return policy is crap. I have not bought from them in so long because of that.

Wonder how big a staff of lawyers they have keeping the name brands from sueing their a$$'s into recievership? Lol. Funny how the inovavtive creative people end up poor while those that make cheap copies make billions?

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wonder how big a staff of lawyers they have keeping the name brands from sueing their a$$'s into recievership? Lol. Funny how the inovavtive creative people end up poor while those that make cheap copies make billions? Somehow I doubt the designers are poor.
wink.gif

People have been copying designer and celebrity style for eons, lol!

Especially wedding gowns- remember when Diana married Charles??

Designers all over the world were watching the live feed (I was too and I was just a tot, ha ha!!) to see her as soon as she stepped out of her carriage to sketch her gown and reproduce it to sell as a lower priced copy.

It's been done before that event but I think that was one of the biggest events for fashion since simultaneous world wide tv feeds were available.

It's just the way it is. The original designers can make bazillions of dollars on their originals and the knock off designers can make thousands off the copies and then have to replace them because they are poorly made.

I was so excited when F21 first showed up (that I drove all the way around the Puget Sound to the only store at the time, lol!) but after a while, I was annoyed at the cheapy stitching and see through flimsy fabrics.

Still might wander in every now and then though.

an interesting article. I think I agree with Celly, designers should make their things more affordable. Regardless of how much better the fabric or workmanship may be, I wouldn't put it at over 100 times better, and that is how much more you're paying for the designer piece.

I say good on them for providing an alternative for people with less money. I choose stuff because I like it, not because it's 'designer' so yeah, F21 seems like a good idea to me.

Back