Electrolysis system for hair removal

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does it really work? I have heard that there is no permanent method of removing facial hair but the manufacturers of electrolysis system claim that it does work. Has anyone tried it? I would really like to know! It's called E-pen electrolysis system and I found it at this store: Sharper Image

Thanks!

Electrolysis has worked for me. I inherited a free kit 8 or 9 years ago from a friend who found it too troublesome and painful. (I don't remember the brand or model name.) I used it unskillfully and it hurt like crazy, but it worked. I only did the front of my calves where the hair was thickest and darkest, and it became the sparsest part of my legs. I have pale skin and black hair, and before I did the electrolysis I could never get a clean-looking shave no matter what. Now I can shave only every other day.

If you've never had electrolysis before, I'd recommend trying a short session from a professional before getting a home kit, so you have some experience. I got part of an armpit done about a month ago at a salon which was having a discount for new customers (1,000 yen for a 10 minute treatment, or about 6 or 7 euros) and it was a revelation to learn how the pros do it. It still hurt, but nowhere near as much as when I did it myself with no experience. Apparently I didn't need to have been so aggressive about it.

OH!! I didn't know that it hurt! I have experience of going through laser hair removal which also hurts like anything but I thought since electrolysis treats hairs one by one it wouldn't be painful. Thanks for your reply!

I just have one more question: laser doesn't work on fine hair (like the ones on face), is the same for electrolysis system as well? Because I need the system for facial hair only.

I didn't even try the electrolysis on fine hairs, actually. It seemed too difficult to be worth the trouble.

The problem is that in order for it to be effective, you have to slide the wire into the skin right next to the hair, so that the wire is very close to the root. (The wire is very thin so inserting it doesn't really feel like anything. It's the electrical charge that's painful.) Otherwise the electrical charge won't kill the root. When you're working with thick hairs, it's easy to see the direction of growth so you can insert the wire correctly. I don't know if you'd be able to place the wire in the right place if you were trying to remove fine hair.

I've had a laser hair removal treatment too, in the same spot (armpits) as my professional electrolysis trial. Laser was more painful for each "zap", but it was really fast so I didn't think it was that unpleasant. Electrolysis hurts less with each individual "zap", but it takes so much longer. After 10 minutes of constant electrolysis zapping, I decided that laser was less painful overall.

Hmmm thanks for this information. It was really helpful. I will now try to locate some professional in electrolysis because laser hasn't proved to be very effective for me.

I've always wondered how the home versions worked vs professional models too.. From friends I have chatted with.. Laser or electricity.. They both hurt!!

From what I understand from the crossdressing sites, home electrolysis doen't work on men very well. If I ever get any real play around money, I may try laser on my back and face.

Laser IS very much effective for thick, coarse hairs. If you have thick hair on back then you must go for laser treatment. Since laser is a more complicated procedure I wouldn't go for home treatment, however, electrolysis is a much simpler process and can be carried out over days. That's why I'm considering buying a home electrolysis system.

Back