Katherine Heigl

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a hairstylist and was telling a client of mine who works for Clinique about this site. She first thought that katherine's makeup was amazing at the Grammys, (she always looks perfect though) and wondered how to achieve that look. Is it the shadow colors that are important or the almighty eye liner? It is definately 4o's inspired so my question is how would you do it?? please use specifics, brand, shadows and brushes!

I felt so bad that no one had responded that I spent fifteen minutes looking for a pic of her at the Grammys to no avail! I did find a great close up of her at the Oscars though, and for that she had a very 40's inspired look. Strong orange/red lips and a very very soft eye (which is really the way to go when balancing a strong lip). Looks like for that one they used a lot of bronzer on her face (again, good with the matte red lip), a vanilla coloured shadow all over the eye with a slightly deeper taupe shade accenting her crease (very subtle with a light shimmer, for non-red carpet days I would do the same with completely matte shadows), and either a black or deep grey navy (hard to tell in the shot I found) shadow or pencil smudged at the lash line (for the soft smudgy look it's best to avoid liquid liner although cream liner does do the trick) so that it is wider in the outside corner of the eye and very thin in the inside corner. It is also very important when balancing a strong lip that the eyebrows are defined as it prevents the eyes from washing out all together. Katherine's brows are perfect here, one shade darker than her blonde hair (one shade lighter for brunettes and deep redheads), neatly groomed (probably held in place with something like Laura Mercier's brow grooming gel or Clarins' Fix Mascara, my favorite two clear brow gels), and strong but still natural. To accomplish this, use either a brow powder (which will go on softer, less chance of mistakes) or a wide brow pencil held so that the pencil is leaning horizontally against the head as it is drawn on. Aiming your pencil straight at the head when doing brows will lead to a darker and more drawn on looking brow.

Here's a trick for the real girl looking to wear a red lip and not look or feel like a hooker. First off, pick an outfit in a neutral colour like black, grey or white which will wash out your face a bit. That way, the red lipstick can put the flush back into your skin without feeling overpowering. Start by wearing the red lips around the house until you feel comfortable with your reflection, as many of us are startled by the initial look of red and therefore feel "like hookers" or self-concious. Katherine pulls off wearing a red lip with a matching red dress, but on most of us, this can be a real challenge, not only to match the red exactly, but to feel comfortable in that much colour. Therefore, when wearing an orange red dress/top, try pairing a soft coral, gold or orange sheer lipgloss, my favorites of these are Cancun Coral by Laura Mercier, Clarins Colour Quench Lip Balm in 08, LORAC Celebrate Lip Polish and a great Smashbox lip/cheek tint whose name has worn off the bottle I've used it so much. By the way, I love to tint lips with the Smashbox, LORAC and Nars lip/cheek tints, allow them to completely dry and then apply a lipstick or gloss over them. That way, when you've worn off the gloss/lipstick you still have a healthy colour left behind. For a blue based red dress/top try a sheer rose colour, a nude or a soft wine, my favs being Clarins 07 Gloss Appeal and Instant Light Lip Perfector 01, again the lip tints, particularily LORAC's Luck, and instead of bronzing it up as you would with an orange/red, use a soft pink flush to the cheeks, like Benefits Benetint, the LORAC Luck tint, or Nars Orgasim.

The true secret of a red is that it is for us gals what a power tie is to the guys. It exudes confidence, and because of the 40's throw back feel, it reminds the older generations of the great strength, wit and work ethic of the women of that era who for the first time proved that they could do a man's job and do it well! Not to mention the fact that it screams, "look at my mouth! I'm saying important things and you better pay attention!" Thus my advise to my clients, when making a first impression or speaking in front of a large group, wear your red, or a softer shearer version of a red. Those you are speaking to will take you more seriously. Orangey reds for warm skin, blue reds for ruddy skin. Just remember that in this scenario a matte, conservative and non-patterned black or navy suit should be your attire, hair up and back to focus their attention on your face, and remember to smile, your teeth will look whiter when wearing a red!

Dude I can't find a picture of her at the Grammy's either....I found plenty of oscar/emmy pictures and premiere red carpet pictures, but no grammy's. Are you sure it was the Grammy's and not the Oscar's or something else that you saw her on?

sorry guys I did mean oscars and not grammys... thanks for looking up the pics on line and also what an amazing response!! thank you soo soo much!

I couldn't find a direct link but go to this page and scroll down to the fifth video. The makeup artist discusses the products and techniques she used for Katherine Heigl's Oscar makeup.

For the Oscars, she wore CHANEL's Aqualumiere Gloss in Party Red but those glosses won't be available in America until mid-June.

ETonline: Articles Tagged With Katherine-heigl

Originally Posted by Kookie-for-COCO /img/forum/go_quote.gif She would look beautiful with brown mud on her face.
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif

Latest posts

Back