Ugly Mineral Sites...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the some SUPER UGLY mineral sites out there? That TOTALLY turns me off as a potential customer. Are any of them good?

Maybe I'm just all about the looks, but I want to buy makeup from a site that is pretty or simple. Hm. Just my thoughts!
glasses.gif

A lot of the time these companies are very small, often ran by even just one person. They may have amazing mmu, but just don't have the best web designing skills, or the money to put a web designer on the payroll, or whatever the reason might be. Like taylormademinerals, I LOVE their pigments, but their website is very blah. I wouldn't turn your back on a company b/c of the site.

yeah i understand where ur comin from.

lureminerals in particular is pretty ugly looking.

they deff. need an update.

but i ordered from them and i was very happy!

What I can't stand is when you cannot tell the true shades of things from their pictures. Some of the websites look lovley, but the shade pics are terrible, so I'd never buy from them.

Some of the more average looking websites have pics of the actual product - I much prefer that, so you know what you're buying.

Ideally, a lovely website with accurate color depictions would be ideal hey.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jfaith444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it just me, or are the some SUPER UGLY mineral sites out there? That TOTALLY turns me off as a potential customer. Are any of them good? Maybe I'm just all about the looks, but I want to buy makeup from a site that is pretty or simple. Hm. Just my thoughts!
glasses.gif

what uglly sites do you know? we can do somthing for them.. maybe we can tell them to update the site and this will bring a lot of salles for them.. correct??

Generally, sites that are difficult to navigate, have inadequate product descriptions and poor color representation are a deterrent for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jfaith444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is it just me, or are the some SUPER UGLY mineral sites out there? That TOTALLY turns me off as a potential customer. Are any of them good? Maybe I'm just all about the looks, but I want to buy makeup from a site that is pretty or simple. Hm. Just my thoughts!
glasses.gif

iagree.gif
amen to that!! some of these sites are so bad that i'll surf like only two or three webpages and i'll give up! yeah, call me into looks too, but the nice sites are the ones that eventually earns my money.
laughing.gif

My biggest gripe is that many MMU companies product swatches look terrible on their websites. I've seen pictures of mineral products on Makeup Alley and Yahoo taken by forum members with their own digital cameras that look 100% better and more accurate than what's shown on the companies websites.

Honestly I've been referring to these digital pictures posted on forums by members instead of the swatches on the MMU sites.

yeah..i also hate some sites that have so many links that it takes me a long time before i can view the products they sell..:/

Although the actual product should be more important than just the look of the site (you know, 'Don't juge a book by it's cover'), most of us are very visual (that's why we're into makeup in the first place) and like to look at attractive things (mountain views, sunsets,pretty skin, flawless makeup applications, great websites, etc.). I enjoy not only how mineral makeup performs, but the whole experience -- In addition to a great product I like easily navigating an attractive site and purchasing from home, then receiving items that are packaged in an attractive way. I think many of us can admit we love the anticipation and excitement of receiving a little pretty present in the mail after you've had a long hard day.

A well designed site is also a calling card for the company. If you dont care about how it looks then should we trust your quality in other areas? And it takes money to make money. A site too difficult to navigate or lousy shopping cart is still going to not make money. I dont think there is a good excuse for this as you can always find a design school offer it as a project for them to come up with a site, have photography students shoot the photos or look at other small business sites and contact the webmaster.

There was a period of time where I did a lot of shopping online for just about everything, and I was in this phase when as soon as the page loaded if it looked like crap i would just hit the back button and go NEXT, i think if someone has a poor design that does reflect in their business...but then again I have never really ordered from those sites so I really wouldn't know.

I also don't like the whole color swatch thing, if they look really bad online I mean I can't help but not even try to find something that matches.

Im so glad to know that Im not the only one who feels this way!

I do have to say... if a makeup site is just ugly and hard to navigate, they lose sales for sure!

A badly designed site can turn me off ordering. But one of my fave sites used to be awful. It was recommended to me and I was told that it was worth it.

I am not sure I like the sites that have a bunch of pictures with attractive girls with flawless skin. Can you really tell me they are wearing the product being sold? (On very few sites, they are.) Or are they stock photos completely unrelated to the company posting them? I'd rather have a site that is easy to navigate, has information on the product itself with pics and swatches, and none of the fluff. Also, clear and detailed shipping and return information as well as easily accessible ingredient listings is essential. A smart looking format is nice but not as important to me.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif My biggest gripe is that many MMU companies product swatches look terrible on their websites. I've seen pictures of mineral products on Makeup Alley and Yahoo taken by forum members with their own digital cameras that look 100% better and more accurate than what's shown on the companies websites.
Honestly I've been referring to these digital pictures posted on forums by members instead of the swatches on the MMU sites.

i always try to find personal swatches myself as well, because a lot of the picture on MMU sites are deceiving. which forums (except for this one) do you go onto to find other swatches? a lot of times, i can't find any for the product i'm testing. (i usually google swatch of _____ color)

I think that goes in general for any online shopping, like someone mentioned.

Judging a book by it's cover, seriously. And some are fug.

Someone else also mentioned that it all comes down from word of mouth and an actual pictures of the products that lure us in. I agree, I always look at swatches and reviews from other members from all over to get an actual visualization on something I'm purchasing. Because the actual company's pictures of their products are crap and totally different - even for MAC. I hate how their pictures are never same than the actual product in person, so I rely on swatches to get an idea.

Originally Posted by laurreenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif which forums (except for this one) do you go onto to find other swatches? I do photo searches on Makeupalley - Street Smart Beauty - Homepage and check out the photo section at the Yahoo EDM Group.
I've also found personal blogs from ladies who enjoy makeup and keep a photo diary of the products they've used and tested.

I usually used the worded description for a idea about the colors more than the color itself because allour computers are different and half the time the color isnt true to what you get. I love wordy descriptions as well more info the better, some sites need to remember this, some have no description just the color, I wont order~~

Back