Carnie Wilson regains the weight

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SewAmazing

I am seeing a lot of my friends who have had bypass, regaining their weight. I feel especially bad for Carnie, because she had her surgery live on the internet, and became the poster girl for bypass surgery. Hopefully, she's on the comback trail...

I think the common misconception with the surgery is that it is a sure fix, when it is absolutely not.

The problem on bypass surgery is that it changes the body, not the mind - the person still feels the need to eat the full of fat things...

Like that, a person can eat sliced bread with butter dissolved on the milk, cake, melted chocolate, condensed milk , mashed potatoes, all those kinds of liquid/semi solid fattening food while on bypass surgery. Eating all day small quantities of it does the same damage as eating a full meal at once.

So, in order to bypass surgery to really become a solution, the person has to be followed with doctors and psychologists, otherwise the tendency is to gain weight again

I saw a quick glimpse of her on TV the other day....I thought she looked pretty heavy.

She was on Oprah (pretty sure it was Oprah..) saying how after she had the bypass surgery she turned her addiction to alcohol, and became an alcoholic. It was ruining her marraige etc. So I guess to try to curb the alcoholism she switched back to being addicted to food. If that is possible. I don't know how bad her alcoholism was. That's sad.

I thought she had a child recently - maybe it's just extra weight from the pregnancy.

Originally Posted by Lia /img/forum/go_quote.gif Like that, a person can eat sliced bread with butter dissolved on the milk, cake, melted chocolate, condensed milk , mashed potatoes, all those kinds of liquid/semi solid fattening food while on bypass surgery. Eating all day small quantities of it does the same damage as eating a full meal at once. I know you are a doctor (if I recall correctly?) but the above is actually false.
Are there some patients who can eat as you described? Of course. There's an exception to every rule. We foodies call it "eating around your pouch".

However, the very nature of gastric bypass creates a totally new physiological profile and something called "dumping syndrome", which I am sure you are familiar with.

Dumping syndrome is a result of bypassing the intestine (contrary to many peoples' belief, no portion of the intestine is removed- hence the name "bypass"). It seems that the more distal a bypass is, the more dumping a person seems to have. I had 150 cm. bypassed which is a fair amount-- not too distal. Dumping syndrome is actually an insulin reaction as the food isn't digested as it normally is in the stomach. The food hits that portion of the intestine and, insulin is released. Depending on what one eats depends on what amount of insulin is released. Overweight individuals have already made their pancreas hyper-sensitive in releasing insulin. Any small amount of sugar consumed prior to surgery makes the pancreas dump copious amounts of insulin. Insulin flows into the system causing a hypoglycemic reaction (low blood sugars, sweats, shaking, etc. etc) Also contrary to many peoples' belief, hypoglycemia IS NOT the opposite of hyPERglycemia (diabetes). It is actually a precursor to diabetes.

Since the overweight person's body is so adept at pouring insulin into the system, that is exacerbated further with the surgery and eating even small amounts of sugars, refined sugars, simple carbohydrates and many times milk can cause the pancreas to release even MORE insulin than before the surgery. What results is called "dumping syndrome" and is the worst side effect of the surgery. You shake, you vomit, your blood sugars drop, you can get diarrhea, lightheaded, pass out, etc. That's the whole point, however-- forced behavior modification. The idea is that with enough negative side effects from a certain food or group of foods, one will stop consuming them altogether or will cut them drastically. (You know, if a baby touches something hot, they'll soon discover what "hot" is and they don't want a part of that negative outcome so they'll refrain from touching hot things again.)

That's not the only principle of gastric bypass-- with the intestine bypassed, it creates a significant amount of malabsorption- of good stuff and bad stuff. The malabsorption is great for the bad stuff as one doesn't absorb so many calories, fats, etc. It's bad as far as vitamins go because you don't absorb as many vitamins and nutrients from what you consume and many times vitamin supplementation is necessary for the rest of your life.

I am editing because I forgot to add one of the most important facets of the surgery: restriction. In gastric bypass, the stomach is resected and made smaller. Many people think they remove part of your stomach-- nothing is removed in a bypass. The stomach is cut into two parts-- one small "pouch" and the other side is completely separated and attached to a different part of the intestine. It's not stomach stapling although staples are used along with stitches merely for holding the stomach together. No the staples don't dissolve. Yes, sometimes they can cause a minor problem. Another thing-- a person CAN stretch their pouch out although, once again contrary to popular belief, one cannot stretch it back out to the same size as before as the stomach has been completely physically altered and cut down and there's not enough tissue/muscle there to stretch back out.

As with any "addiction", one can easily switch their DOC (drug of choice). Many times a pill popper will become an alcoholic. Yes, they no longer pop pills but now they consume alcohol to excess. The same is with obesity-- "solve" the symptom of the obesity and many times one substitutes their DOC for something else-- many times, alcohol. So yes, one must be vigilant when having gastric bypass and understand that it is MERELY A TOOL to meet one's goals-- it is NOT the answer to everything. And, as with any tool, if it's not used properly, it will become old and rusty and will soon no longer work.

Warmly,

Brandi

I'm no doctor - just a student - i know a bit but not much.

I hope that she gets her figure back because I know she worked hard on it. People often mistake weight loss surgery as a cure rather than a tool to help you lose weight. You still have to deal with the issue that made you gain all that weight.

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hope that she gets her figure back because I know she worked hard on it. People often mistake weight loss surgery as a cure rather than a tool to help you lose weight. You still have to deal with the issue that made you gain all that weight. Totally agree! It's like an alcoholic. You can keep away from the bottle, but you have to work on the issues of why you drank.
I think Carnie did have a baby....?? That's the last I had heard.

I hope she gets back on track.
smile.gif

i feel for her because i know she worked so hard. the truth of the matter is if you have weight issues it's a constant struggle to stay in check. i'm praying for her!

Originally Posted by beaglette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know you are a doctor (if I recall correctly?) but the above is actually false.
Are there some patients who can eat as you described? Of course. There's an exception to every rule. We foodies call it "eating around your pouch".

However, the very nature of gastric bypass creates a totally new physiological profile and something called "dumping syndrome", which I am sure you are familiar with.

Dumping syndrome is a result of bypassing the intestine (contrary to many peoples' belief, no portion of the intestine is removed- hence the name "bypass"). It seems that the more distal a bypass is, the more dumping a person seems to have. I had 150 cm. bypassed which is a fair amount-- not too distal. Dumping syndrome is actually an insulin reaction as the food isn't digested as it normally is in the stomach. The food hits that portion of the intestine and, insulin is released. Depending on what one eats depends on what amount of insulin is released. Overweight individuals have already made their pancreas hyper-sensitive in releasing insulin. Any small amount of sugar consumed prior to surgery makes the pancreas dump copious amounts of insulin. Insulin flows into the system causing a hypoglycemic reaction (low blood sugars, sweats, shaking, etc. etc) Also contrary to many peoples' belief, hypoglycemia IS NOT the opposite of hyPERglycemia (diabetes). It is actually a precursor to diabetes.

Since the overweight person's body is so adept at pouring insulin into the system, that is exacerbated further with the surgery and eating even small amounts of sugars, refined sugars, simple carbohydrates and many times milk can cause the pancreas to release even MORE insulin than before the surgery. What results is called "dumping syndrome" and is the worst side effect of the surgery. You shake, you vomit, your blood sugars drop, you can get diarrhea, lightheaded, pass out, etc. That's the whole point, however-- forced behavior modification. The idea is that with enough negative side effects from a certain food or group of foods, one will stop consuming them altogether or will cut them drastically. (You know, if a baby touches something hot, they'll soon discover what "hot" is and they don't want a part of that negative outcome so they'll refrain from touching hot things again.)

That's not the only principle of gastric bypass-- with the intestine bypassed, it creates a significant amount of malabsorption- of good stuff and bad stuff. The malabsorption is great for the bad stuff as one doesn't absorb so many calories, fats, etc. It's bad as far as vitamins go because you don't absorb as many vitamins and nutrients from what you consume and many times vitamin supplementation is necessary for the rest of your life.

I am editing because I forgot to add one of the most important facets of the surgery: restriction. In gastric bypass, the stomach is resected and made smaller. Many people think they remove part of your stomach-- nothing is removed in a bypass. The stomach is cut into two parts-- one small "pouch" and the other side is completely separated and attached to a different part of the intestine. It's not stomach stapling although staples are used along with stitches merely for holding the stomach together. No the staples don't dissolve. Yes, sometimes they can cause a minor problem. Another thing-- a person CAN stretch their pouch out although, once again contrary to popular belief, one cannot stretch it back out to the same size as before as the stomach has been completely physically altered and cut down and there's not enough tissue/muscle there to stretch back out.

As with any "addiction", one can easily switch their DOC (drug of choice). Many times a pill popper will become an alcoholic. Yes, they no longer pop pills but now they consume alcohol to excess. The same is with obesity-- "solve" the symptom of the obesity and many times one substitutes their DOC for something else-- many times, alcohol. So yes, one must be vigilant when having gastric bypass and understand that it is MERELY A TOOL to meet one's goals-- it is NOT the answer to everything. And, as with any tool, if it's not used properly, it will become old and rusty and will soon no longer work.

Warmly,

Brandi

Great post.
I thought so too - I don't know much about GP but I know enough where they can't take in a lot of sugar and such because of the side effects...

And she had a kid years back and gained the weight - but it seemed like she couldn't take it off since then.

Wow..she lost a good bit on Celebrity Fit Club too.I also heard that Kelly gained a lot of hers back too...(season 4)

Awww That's too bad.... Loosing weight is one thing but keeping it off is the hardest part for sure..... Can't flop back into your old eating habits.....

I agree with what everyone has had to say...from the shows on tlc that I watch, I have gathered that yes, you can't stretch it back to the original size, but nevertheless, it can and does stretch somewhat if the person is not careful and overeats more than their "pouch" can fit...

wow....i remember on fit club she actually put the work in to lose the weight....hopefully that same motivation will help her get through this too

Carnie is working to take this weight gain off, but I think it's important to remember how heavy she was before she had the bypass. She was over 300 pounds, could barely walk, and couldn't even use a toilet without the seat cracking underneath her. What Carnie has now is fluctuating weight issues, like most women. Even with this recent gain she's WAY better off than she was before the surgery.

I do have an aunt who had GB and gained nearly all her weight back. She didn't really exercise to lose the weight and eventually she was back to snacking all the time, and all the weight came back. The surgery isn't a cure-all, and beyond that first few months where the stomach just can't hold much food at all, it doesn't make things easier. My aunt will be having knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks because her knees have given out from carrying all the weight all these years.

(BTW, Celebrity Fit Club? Kelly LeBrock said it's pretty much a crock. The diet they gave her on that program was basically liquid and she regained the weight fast.)

That's so annoying. Just eat right and exercise, how hard is that? Lazy as*!

Back