What would you do in my spot? Indie Film

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I heard back about an indi film I wanted to work on. But the budget won't cover the cost of the MUA just the cost of makeup. Its shooting over the course of a few days 9am-7pm. And they need full body FX so i would need to start around 6 or 7.... and no pay....all day...

A job like this I would ask for about $200-$250 a day if not more(dpending on makeup and what not).

I don't know what I should do. I kindda want to go for it. SFX work is my passon and something I would love to end up doing in the long run (though i want to work in horror and this is a desies movie), I also dont get the oppertunity to do this much anymore (since i moved)...but a girls gotta pay rent and eat and the bills! and i also have another job to work around...gah...so I'm stressing over here.... what would you guys do????
kopfkratz.gif

Actually, according to the union, you should be getting 300 to 550 a day for special FX make-up. I would push it on the producer to cover your supply costs at least. The number one rule for working in film is never use your own money. Even if this isn't a paying gig, you should still be getting compensated for mileage as well, indie or not. You might want to consider taking another film I'm sorry to say.

Oh really?

I knew there was a Union for MUA's but I never found anything for joing it. I used to do films back when I lived in NYC. All the things I ever found were always in like Cali. If you have any links I would love to see them!

Im still concidering weather or not I want to do the film... She IS coving makup, but said nothing about gas...

If u really wann do this, I think u should go for it cuz it would be a nice thing to add to ur portfolio!!

Originally Posted by Angels_Decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh really?I knew there was a Union for MUA's but I never found anything for joing it. I used to do films back when I lived in NYC. All the things I ever found were always in like Cali. If you have any links I would love to see them!

Im still concidering weather or not I want to do the film... She IS coving makup, but said nothing about gas...

Good! She's covering your make-up costs! YES, you should insist on compensation for mileage. Here is a link for union rates:
Day Rate Survey

If you are in L.A. I strongly urge you to get your union hours in sooner or later. You will get health insurance and whatnot, however I don't recommend you join too early in your career, as you want to make sure its worth it with the dues and all. I plan on joining the art department union eventually but I will always insist on mileage compensation if the gig doesn't pay. YOU shouldn't have to pay to work for THEM. At least thats how I see it. Message me if you have anymore questions
smile.gif

Hi,

I've been faced with this once or twice. The thing that would tick me off the most is other departments would be paid, but not Makeup or Hair. A lot of times, they wouldn't even offer up a kit fee, yet they would demand that you do an excellent job.

My advice would be to take it as long as

1) it does not interfere with your job

2) does not extend beyond 5 or 6 days

3) the project would be a good addition to your portfolio

4) they cover your kit fees (I don't mean $25 - $50). Make sure you include everything (wipes, swabs, blood (various types you'll need to use like thick blood, fresh scab, light and dark blood, etc...) brush cleaner, etc...

Not griping...just sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Leza1121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,
I've been faced with this once or twice. The thing that would tick me off the most is other departments would be paid, but not Makeup or Hair. A lot of times, they wouldn't even offer up a kit fee, yet they would demand that you do an excellent job.

My advice would be to take it as long as

1) it does not interfere with your job

2) does not extend beyond 5 or 6 days

3) the project would be a good addition to your portfolio

4) they cover your kit fees (I don't mean $25 - $50). Make sure you include everything (wipes, swabs, blood (various types you'll need to use like thick blood, fresh scab, light and dark blood, etc...) brush cleaner, etc...

thumbsup2.gif

Nobody wants to pay anybody in film, don't feel so bad
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Leza1121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi,

thumbsup2.gif

I know other departments are being paid, and that makes it pretty annoying. "Like is my work not worth your money? Cause your work sure as hell aint worth my time then!" But it dosnt really work like that all the ime lol. And like I said it would be a fun project. Though I emailed her with a few questions and STILL havent heard back yet...
Living in NYC I did the makeup for a Suacide Girls test shoot. $350 was what I was told I was being paid in out exchaned emails. And when i got there the girl tolm me she hod gotton confused and she ment she was paying the phtographer $350, it was soo lame.
tocktock.gif
I stayed and did the work anyway so atlest i have prints for my book. *sigh*

i was just in the same boat! i used half of my money and half of their money. once they saw my work and a sheet of cost i incurred to make their film look ok they paid for alot more stuff, especially when the actors got involved
wink.gif

you must go for it ...........try pushing up ur prie .....but u can`t do that .....then do not leave the opportunity.it`s only going to help u in a lot of ways .........no harm at all.just do it.

I'd do it if it didn't interfere with my other work, and if they paid for materials. Tough call though.

Back