I think I'm going to quit wearing mascara on a regular basis.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to have long, thick eyelashes. Not so much anymore. I was convinced for a while that my diet might be why I was losing lashes, but I've started eating better & my lashes still haven't grown back. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like mascara is every girl's must have, & most girls don't seem to have any problems.

I'm sorry to hear that.
frown.gif

I found a few articles about the probable causes of loss of eyelashes that I thought you may find helpful:

Madarosis - loss of eyelashes

Common Causes Of Eyelash Loss

Eyelashes Falling Out?

smile.gif

I have less eyelashes too. When I quit wearing mascara for a while they seem to grow back. I need something on my eyelashes, but don't want them to keep falling out.

I know I lose some lashes when I take my mascara off...

Maybe you could try using a lash tint instead of a mascara? That might be less damaging.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know I lose some lashes when I take my mascara off...
Maybe you could try using a lash tint instead of a mascara? That might be less damaging.

I think lash tinting is a great idea!!
It may not be wearing mascara that's the problem but how you remove it..

I found this out on - http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA361876

Q Eyelashes Falling Out? My eyelashes keep falling out. Is this normal? Why does this happen? Is there is anything I can do about it?

A Answer (Published 1/19/2006). Eyelashes fall out normally from time to time, just as hair elsewhere on the body does. But they can also fall out for other reasons. The medical name for this problem is madarosis, and some mechanical causes are pretty obvious - such as the way you remove eye makeup. Wiping your eyes too vigorously can pull out a few lashes: better to use an eye makeup remover that does the job without the need for rubbing. In addition, heavy mascara can actually weigh down delicate lashes and cause them to fall out, and the pressure of an eyelash curler can pull them out as well.

I use Neutrogena's oill-free eye makeup remover and non-waterproff mascara and it comes of so easy, no rubbing at all... I hardly ever lose an eyelash...

Same thing is happening to me. I used to have really thick lashes, and not so much any more. I'm not sure I could give up the mascara though.

I do

In fact if i stop wearing mascara for two weeks i see a growth difference

hope it will be the same for u

Tip if u must wear it once inna while Use Mary Kays eye makeup remover its comes off so easily and without eye sting

It could be the way you are taking off your mascara that is pulling them off.

It could also be the mascara your using. Ive found any mascara I use which dries stiff as a board on my lashes is a major pain and my eyelashes look worse and worse wearing it again and again.

Using a primer is a good idea too, but don't use one that dries crisp, because that would defeat the purpose. Use something that fortifies your lashes, like something from Neautrogena or Talika. The protective base helps your lashes stay healthy and makes your mascara look good.

At the moment I am using Chanel Inimitable and its the only mascara which makes my lashes look great, but it flakes and dries stiff and I lose eyelashes everytime I wear it, that never happened to me before. I rather wear a few individual falsies and look fabulous without mascara on days I want a day off from that black gunk, as my ex called it lol.

it might not be the mascara itself, but the way you remove it. like if you rub on your eyelids with a cloth to get it off, that might be weakening your eyelashes and making them fall off.

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I've been using Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara & Neutrogena Oil-Free eye makeup remover. Am I maybe using bad products? I also wear contacts, & my eyes get irritated sometimes. My eyelashes are naturally dark, so lash tints probably wouldn't be of benefit to me, right? And what's cake mascara? Thanks in advance!

have you tried too faced lash injection mascara??? when you put it on it makes your lashes longer and more fuller, plus when you take it off with a warm wash cloth the mascara comes off in tubes... i really like it..

Originally Posted by CoverGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for all the comments everyone! I've been using Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara & Neutrogena Oil-Free eye makeup remover. Am I maybe using bad products? I also wear contacts, & my eyes get irritated sometimes. My eyelashes are naturally dark, so lash tints probably wouldn't be of benefit to me, right? And what's cake mascara? Thanks in advance! Cake mascara is what they used to have before the liquid kind came out. Think blush pan, only with dark powder in it that's slightly sticky. You just use a mascara brush (provided), scrape some out, and put it onto your lashes - it's usually not as 'wow' as the liquid stuff, but it's still good. I like it, but I don't currently have any.
Check the ingredients, though - you don't want tar or fibreglass, though I think most cake mascaras are okay. Where to find it in the USA, I have no idea (I've been here less than a month). Internet searches are always good, though.

it could be the tar in the mascara that is is causing you to loose your eyelashes.

i know aveda makes a really good tar free mascara

I've had this problem before as well and I found it to be the result of take off my makeup too rough. now i just soak a cotton ball with some remover and gently press it on my eyes so it starts to break down the eye makeup you have on and mascara. just dab here and there til it comes of and be careful how you tug you skin around your eyes as well when you wash you face afterwards.

this is the whole reason why i start using clinique's lash power. before when i use regular mascaras some of my lashes will always come off no matter how gentle i try to remove my eye makeup. with lash power now i just have to soak my lashes with hot water in a cotton pad and it came right off.
smile.gif

Wow, all good tips guys...

I soak my lashes in olive oil and water before I try removing...

My lashes haven't fallen out or anything, they just look cock-eyed now, lol!

I use clinique eye mu remover, and for mascara most of the time i use clinique too. I also like lancome, and max factor volume couture. Have you ever thought about getting a mascara that's conditioning? Does the one you currently use make your lashes feel brittle?

Back