Advice Needed - MMU Looks Dry/Cakey when complete

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should I be using....maybe squaline oil before applying? Or does anyone have some kind of 'after spray' that makes the skin look dewy or moist? I didn't really realize at first how dry I guess I looked because I was so excited to get it and use it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most people use an oil free moisturizer prior to applying their MMU. Just make sure you give the moisturizer at least 10 mins to soak completely in.

I've never tried squaline oil before. But commercial makeup removers contain oil to breakup and disolve makeup. I would imagine having a true oil under your MMU would cause it to eventually disolve the MMU on your face making it fade or separate.

I also exfoliate about twice a week. I use a microfiber washcloth to get all the dead flakies off my face. This provides a smooth fresh canvas for your MMU.

If you're using oil absorbing primer powders or even matte foundations, these can dry out your skin because they suck up moisture and oil to keep the shine away during the day. That was my problem.

i've had that problem too. i use a facial spray (any one will do, Aquafina, Evian, MAC) which i spray on after i buff on my foundation and before i use my setting powder. it just pats everything down on my face and eliminates that powdery look that sometimes accompanies MMU. i would suggest MAC's fix+, because not only did it make my face look dewy and eliminate powder, but it also helps keep the makeup on my face longer.

Although many spritz their faces, I just pat mine with a wet washcloth and it seems to work just as well. It helps to get rid of that cakey look. I've also found that it's better to use a light touch with the minerals and layer them lightly. I sometimes pat on a little moisturizer over the lines around my eyes after putting on the minerals and that helps, too.

Moisturise - oil is fine. I use rosehip seed oil and emu oil, and it's never wrecked my makeup. Plus eye cream, which I think I needed anyway.

And exfoliate, as someone else said.

Spray to set your makeup - distilled water works, or a hydrosol.

Thank you for your help. I am going to try water first and if I think I need more I'll get the mac or someone else's finishing spray. At least I know others have the same prob. Maybe I should also use a face primer. I LOVE the way minerals looks on me till I look close. Although, I thought the point of the minerals was NOT to use water. Yet, I've mixed my ES w/water with fantastic results. I also read tonight that I could get my MMU on my Kabuk and then spray it with water and apply. yikes! my expensive Kabuki loll

I shoulda asked if anyone uses minerals wet I s'pose

Thanks for the help guys

And - don't use too much MMU. I'm sure you're doing that, but you just start with a little & apply, and add on layer by layer until you achieve the look you're after. This stops it going on to thick and cakey.

Applying wet --- either spraying your brush lightly after it's loaded or spraying some water into a glass (I use a small Pyrex) dish then sprinkling in your loose powder and swirling your brush --- definitely helps get rid of the powdery look but I wonder if it begins to dry out over the course of the day. I have never bothered to look closely later in the day when using these methods.

I do know that a light application of clear emu oil under makeup has given me a more dewey, less powdery old lady look. The diminish clear emu oil from Lumiere is great, i have almost run out and they are not currently selling it anymore!!! It did not make me look oily. Initially I was afraid to put an oil directly under my makeup but this oil was not greasy at all, very light.

Also, PureLux's Cream Eraser applied after (yes after) you apply your foundation works too. You just need a very small amount lightly patted onto your skin after you are finished with foundation and blush.

moisturize first, then apply the mineral foundation and make sure you really buff, then use a setting spray (but before any mascara lol), i personally use one from La Roche Posay, but Evian, MAC fix+, whatever you like will do.

Yeah, I think I'm using too much and too many different things :-(

I think I'm finally getting it about the buffing and using very little. you think it would be commone sense
frown.gif

thanks

emu oil? I'll try it but I just figured that it would make my found cling to it and not buff well into my skin leaving me 'patchy'. And maybe wreck my $$$ Kabuki....but it would ideally be an answer. same with applying wet...figured it would wreck the brush. someone mentioned squaline as well but i think the emu would be easier to find. trying all the advice here cuz I want to get this down. I realllllly like MMU.

I think you can just try using a little bit of minerals first ( a few crumbs ) and layer it rather than using a lot at one go...some people also spray their brush with water/hydrosols...

If your makeup seems too cakey, first make sure you arent using too much (which is a common mistake)

Next... if its STILL too cakey, try mixing it with your daily moisturizer! It totally works, and goes on flawless. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by artressa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you for your help. I am going to try water first and if I think I need more I'll get the mac or someone else's finishing spray. At least I know others have the same prob. Maybe I should also use a face primer. I LOVE the way minerals looks on me till I look close. Although, I thought the point of the minerals was NOT to use water. Yet, I've mixed my ES w/water with fantastic results. I also read tonight that I could get my MMU on my Kabuk and then spray it with water and apply. yikes! my expensive Kabuki lollI shoulda asked if anyone uses minerals wet I s'pose

Thanks for the help guys

I get fantastic results when I apply my MMU foundation with a damp kabuki or even better with a damp flocked sponge. I use Lumiere, and I read on their forum tonight that someone there uses moisturizer mixed in the foundation and then applies with a flocked sponge. She said she took a small bowl, put a DROP of moisturizer in the bowl and then some foundaiton. Mixed it up and applied with a flocked sponge. She RAVES about it overthere. I am going to try it in the morning. I have really dry skin, and I think this might help keep the flakes. Cause even if I use a facial spray eventually the flakes come back later in the day...this way I bet it won't.HTH

Emu oil, hands down. Here's my routine:

1. Freshly cleaned face.

2. Copper serum.

3. Emu oil. Let set for 10 minutes. Rub into face. Let set for 5 minutes.

4. ROC Minesol Velvet Lotion SPF 40. Let set for 5 minutes.

5. Essence of Beauty Airbrush Primer.

6. Meow Cosmetics Pampered Puss Inquisitive Chausie Mineral Makeup.

7. Remainder of makeup.

8. Avene Thermal Spring Water misted on face.

Never looks chalkie. Always looks great!

If you do nothing else, emu oil, all the way.

Warmly,

Brandi

Originally Posted by artressa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you for your help. I am going to try water first and if I think I need more I'll get the mac or someone else's finishing spray. At least I know others have the same prob. Maybe I should also use a face primer. I LOVE the way minerals looks on me till I look close. Although, I thought the point of the minerals was NOT to use water. Yet, I've mixed my ES w/water with fantastic results. I also read tonight that I could get my MMU on my Kabuk and then spray it with water and apply. yikes! my expensive Kabuki lollI shoulda asked if anyone uses minerals wet I s'pose

Thanks for the help guys

The water will not harm a brush. You use water when you clean it I am sure. So it should be fine.

I read on a tip on this forum to warm up your brush(natural hair) when you apply your minerals. I have been doing that and it definitely gives me a smooth finish.

I have found that if I look dry and flaky to just wet my hands a bit with water and pat over face also helps. This has helped in a pinch as well like you get to work and look at face and go oh no~~

you might also be using the wrong formula. i switched to a different brand and i no longer have that problem.

Back