My hair disaster & recovery.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so, i decided to try the at-home highlites. i bought a kit from nice'n'easy (the cap & hook kind). well, i followed all the directions, left the colour on for 45 minutes, and WHOA! when i rinsed it out, i had yellow blonde hair all over my head!!!!
bigeyes2.gif
it freaked me out bad. i was almost in tears!! it probably wouldn't have been so bad but considering i've never used anything at home, i was a bit in shock.

after a speedy trip to the closest drugstore, i got a dye kit from garnier fructis that was a dark brown to attempt to get back to my normal color, & the end result was just gorgeous! i ended up with this pretty ash blonde, looks very natural, & i'm happy with it.
biggrin.gif

i just don't know what ****ed up my highlights. the color should NOT have been that light. the kit was for medium blonde-medium brown hair. and i had light brown hair before. i'm never trustin' nice'n'easy again tho! nice'n'easy my ass! i wish i had taken a pic of the horrid but i didn't. here's some pics of the final result. the flash interferes but you can still see.

Highlighting kits are essentially bleaching kits. By leaving it on that long, you got to the lightest level that bleach would take you.

well, it didn't exactly say how long to leave it on. it just said 'do not exceed 90 minutes'. but thanks aprill, i guess next time i know.
smile.gif

the key is to do the strand test. and if you dont have the patience for that, check the color every few minutes.

its cause they use bleach. which is very had to controll and needs to be watched carefully (im a believer bleach should only be done in a saloon) cause even if you have done the same exact application 1 thousand times it will react diffrently with every ones hair.

Love the color! I won't use those hilighting caps anymore because of a horrible orange and splotchy disaster that happened in high school. If you're ever tempted to try the at home hilighting kits again, check out the Loreal Colour Experte kind with the "comb through" wands. I love that brand, it's so easy to use, because you can select each strand you want to lighten.

That sucks, but at least you didn't have to have horrible hair for too long.

And that color is beautiful! I love it.

Originally Posted by Maysie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Love the color! I won't use those hilighting caps anymore because of a horrible orange and splotchy disaster that happened in high school. If you're ever tempted to try the at home hilighting kits again, check out the Loreal Colour Experte kind with the "comb through" wands. I love that brand, it's so easy to use, because you can select each strand you want to lighten. yeah next time i definately will get that kind. i guess the wands are better cuz they're easier to apply.

thanks for all the compliments everybody!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mrs.jones1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Highlighting kits are essentially bleaching kits. By leaving it on that long, you got to the lightest level that bleach would take you. exactly....i've heard poor reviews about nice n easy anyway lol

The guy who use to do my hair did the most beautiful highlight job with an old school cap. I have dark brown hair and he put golden blonde highlights in my hair (I wasn't going for anything natural looking at the time) and he left the bleach in my hair for about 30 minutes and that was also under a dryer. Maybe it had to do with how dark your hair is? Glad you were able to fix your color...it could have been a lot worse!

Back