6 Secret Super Foods

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They’re not faster than a speeding bullet, or able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but these Super Foods pack a healthy punch. In fact, their nutritional values are so high, experts say they can protect you against illness, lower your cholesterol, and improve your overall look and wellness. Often hidden in the shadow of more popular antioxidants (blueberries anyone?) these six stellar stars deserve their own hero’s welcome.

Goji Berries
The little goji is chocked full of big benefits. Depending on who you ask, they enhance your sex life, improve circulation, protect your liver, improve your eyesight and help you live a long life. They may look questionable at first, but give them a try. They’re definitely worth it.

Soy
The joy of soy is you can get it in multiple forms --- from the soybean (aka edamame), to soy milk and the tofu often offered in stir fries and curries. With its high amounts of protein, calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, it’s no wonder it can lower cholesterol, promote healthy bones, prevent cancer, and reduce symptoms of menopause.

Pumpkin
Surprisingly, this seemingly simple squash is packed with alpha and beta-carotene, vitamins C and E, potassium, zinc and magnesium. Pumpkin’s been rumored to lower cholesterol, improve your mood, and help protect against cancer – among other things.

Walnuts
Walnuts are rich in the B and E vitamins and are a great source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids – shown to reduce cholesterol. But that’s not all. These heart-healthy nuggets are also high in fiber so they help you feel full.

Salmon
What does this fleshy fish bring to the table? A whole lot of skin-smoothing Omega 3 fatty acids – powerful anti-inflammatory agents that lower your bad cholesterol and increase your good cholesterol. Salmon is also rich in protein as well as the antioxidant co-enzyme Q-10.
green_tea_superfood.JPG

Green Tea
Though sipping a freshly-brewed cup of green tea is relaxing, its antioxidant punch is something to really get excited about. Known mostly for its reputed cancer-fighting powers, this tea may also help lower cholesterol.
Source

Originally Posted by Lia /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for sharing, but where's the chocolate ? LOL LMAO!I´m glad I at least like 2 of the above mentioned: walnuts and salmon

I like walnuts with chocolate, LOL. But i love fish too. I never ate soy neither goji berries , dislike green tea...

LMAO !! they forgot the chocolate, big mistake !!

i love nuts of all kinds, i love love love pumpkin, i literally can gorge myself of it and never have enough (seriously addicted). i like salmon, it's probably my favorite fish if i have to eat one. green tea is a friend. i never ate goji berries.

i will also add acerola, it's a little cherry that contains lots and lots of vitamin C, and between my low iron levels and my hypothyroidism, i really need a good kick to start the day and not go back to bed. this really helps me.

after boiled soy, make juice with blend. this soy milk is good for diet and making muscles.

GO GOJI BERRIES!!!!!

these are currently all the rage amongst my fad-enthralled foodie friends, hahaha

at Whole foods by them for an outrageous sum of cash (i think it was $15/pound?)... in china town, buy them for pennies on the dollar ($3.99/pound)

theres also some very tasty goji berry choco bars on the market as well...

Acerola juice is yummy, but the fruit is too sour for my likings.

there are others that are super foods (but don't sound as nice as the berries and nuts and salmon):

Wheatgrass

Barley grass

Spirulina

Aloe vera

Borage

Cacao *Here you go, CHOCOHOLICS!!*

Chocolate itself actually comes from the beautiful bean of the Theobroma Cacao Tree whose name literally translates into 'Food of the Gods'. Pure, unadulterated and raw, this bean is loaded with active antioxidants, live enzymes, and a plethora of phyto-nutrients.

A study published in the Lancet Medical Journal (Antioxidants, Lancet 1996; 348:834) found the cacao beans to be one of the richest sources of anti-oxidants, easily digestible for human metabolism.

(remember this is about the raw cacao, not the refined stuff that is sold in the candy aisle, lol!)

Blue green algae

Mmmmm.. Algae.... Got that growing in my pond! We should stop throwing it in the compost and start drinking it. (kidding. Gross)

I have been thinking of getting the blue green algae at the health store, though.

MMMMMM some of my favorite foods made it to that list. The only one that I haven't tried is the berries.

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif there are others that are super foods (but don't sound as nice as the berries and nuts and salmon):
Wheatgrass

Barley grass

Spirulina

Aloe vera

Borage

Cacao *Here you go, CHOCOHOLICS!!*

Chocolate itself actually comes from the beautiful bean of the Theobroma Cacao Tree whose name literally translates into 'Food of the Gods'. Pure, unadulterated and raw, this bean is loaded with active antioxidants, live enzymes, and a plethora of phyto-nutrients.

A study published in the Lancet Medical Journal (Antioxidants, Lancet 1996; 348:834) found the cacao beans to be one of the richest sources of anti-oxidants, easily digestible for human metabolism.

(remember this is about the raw cacao, not the refined stuff that is sold in the candy aisle, lol!)

Blue green algae

Mmmmm.. Algae.... Got that growing in my pond! We should stop throwing it in the compost and start drinking it. (kidding. Gross)

I have been thinking of getting the blue green algae at the health store, though.

thanks for mentioning spirulina !! it really is a superfood. i discovered it when my endocrinologist was prescribing me a lot of supplements, all of them found in spirulina. it contains vitamins and minerals. i take it for my B12 needs and iron. it's a weed, so little piece of advice : take it in caps !!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by hatenjeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif i love acai berries arent they superfoods? =( I don't know for sure (and i'm from the land where açaí comes from, LOL). I know it can be quite fattening if eaten the way we do here (made into a thick paste, cold and with tons of sugar)

Sweet i eat all that suff! Sept for the Goji berries... I think i herd about them being healthy befor... but i have no clue were to get them.

Back