Vegetarians?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After recently reading a book called skinny *****, i have decided to live the meat free life! Its actually been 1 month today since i last had meat of any kind! I was just wondering if we have any other vegetarians on the site and what are your favorite foods or recipes?!

Mediterranean food has some great stuff; stuffed grape leaves, tabouli, falafel, hummus, yummm.

^ Those are great suggestions! I'm a vegetarian too. I think there are also lots of Italian/Mexican options. I can't cook, & if my parents aren't making anything vegetarian, I just have veggie or peanut butter/jelly or honey sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, milk/cereal, ect.

At restaurants I love veggie omeletes!! Or stuffed hashbrowns yum!

I'm not a complete vegetarian. I do eat chicken, not regularly, but I do. I stay away from beef cause it just sickens me sometimes. The smell will disgust me. Some of my favorite foods are pizza!!! I ate pizza all summer. I eat a lot of cereal and apples. I like cucumbers in a salad w/ parmesan sprinkled on top. My dad makes the best noodles/rice/veggies. It tastes amazing, we do put shrimp on it, but I will still eat shrimp, just not regularly. The one thing I do make an exception for (somtimes) is bologna. I get the one w/ chicken/pork.

I am a vegetarian also. I try to eat vegan food most of the time but I am not always successful.

I was raised vegetarian.. NEVER had meat in my entire life. If I want to have a soup, I make sure it doesnt have any chicken broth or beef stock.. honest. MANY people in India are like me.

Most restaurants will make the non-vegetarian dishes w/o the meat if you ask them. I honestly dont know what it is like to have eaten meat and then give it up.. I never have, so its never been a problem for me. The biggest challenge for me has been keeping my haemoglobin count up to normal levels. I have a HUGE problem with this. Make sure you eat PLENTY of veggies with a high iron content (spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli..). There are many Indian recipes too that are nutritious and easy to make. One all time fav is just boiled veggies.. carrots, peas, cauliflower, bell peppers.. boil them well and then sprinkle salt & pepper over the veggies, dash of lemon juice. Try veggie wraps.. I spread sour cream, salsa on the wrap and then stuff it with veggies, sprinkle cheese and roll. Have you looked for vegetarian recipes online ? It might seem hard to be vegetarian, but trust me, it is not. Try the veggie sausages and stuff (the frozen ones you can get in Safeway, Albertson's..). Cook them just the way you would cook meat. The soy in them is healthy and I have been told you cant tell the difference between the real meat sausages/burgers etc and the soy ones.

I've not eaten meat for 10 years and been vegan for about 2. My favourite foods are tortillas with salsa and fake cheese (cheezly), guacamole, tortilla pizzas, falafels, hummus, scrambled tofu, stir-fry with rice or noodles and tofu, sweet potatoes.

There's a nice pita crisp recipe from Gordon Ramsay which is to get some pita bread, cut them into inch squares, brush a little olive oil on them, sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt and italian herbs and grill until brown. Eat with hummus. I'm rubbish at cooking so it's a nice easy recipe.

I have a bunch of vegan cookbooks but I'm not a very good cook so I tend to just pick the easiest from each.

do you have the veganomicon ? i was thinking about buying it (or getting it offered for my birthday
wink.gif
).

i'm vegetarian, i try to eat vegan when i can. sometimes i still have to eat meat, sadly, i still live with my parents which are meat eaters and don't really understand my food choices. what's for sure is my mom can't make me eat red meat, ugh, it's too much trouble for my sensitive stomach.

i like indian food, it's easy enough to cook a daal, and it's so tasty, yum !

i swear by soy products, soy milk, creme fraiche and yogurts, tofu.

if you're a chocolate addict, try mixing in a food processor silken tofu and melted chocolate (about 50/50 in terms of quantities). it makes a great chocolate mousse, and it's easier than the recipe with egg whites(yuck, hate eggs).

i am also addicted to quinoa, it's easy to cook and versatile.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif do you have the veganomicon ? i was thinking about buying it (or getting it offered for my birthday
wink.gif
). No I don't have that one yet. I do have "Vegan With a Vengeance" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" by the same author which are both pretty good. Although the cupcakes one just makes me drool over the pictures. I think I will add Veganomicon to my birthday wishlist too
smile.gif

Originally Posted by anna1850 /img/forum/go_quote.gif No I don't have that one yet. I do have "Vegan With a Vengeance" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" by the same author which are both pretty good. Although the cupcakes one just makes me drool over the pictures. I think I will add Veganomicon to my birthday wishlist too
smile.gif
cool, thanks for the recs, i'm drooling over "vegan cupcakes take over the world " too.

I am vegetarian. I have been one off and on for years but went back to being a no meat eater last year. It has been six months since I ate meat and now it is apart of my life and I can't even imagine eating meat again. I do not eat any meat or seafood and I eat a very limited amount of dairy. I always go to vegetariantimes.com for my recipes.

Not a vegetarian, but do try to limit what I eat. Basically just chicken and seafood, and try to go a few days a week without meat. Mainly for health reasons.

And it seems like being vegetarian is getting easier these days, lot of options out there in restaurants and stores.

I've been a vegan for awhile.

You should check out the following websites for some recipes and tips:

Vegetarian Times

The PPK

Vegweb

Congrats on your decision to save your health!

I was a vegetarian for 10 years... for the most part. I still ate fish every once and awhile. Then a year and a half ago my new BF was eating a steak... and it just smelt so good...I just had a little bite and that was the end of it! LOL I keep meaning to go back (lol I was thinner), but it's just not happening. But i don’t eat a lot of meat, maybe 4 times a week at the most. And it does make life easier for us (we live together now) since i don’t have to cook two separate dinners. And he LOVES my BBQed tofu burritos!!!

The reason I stopped in the first place was because I just couldn’t stomach the fact that I was eating something that used to be alive and doing living animal stuff, something about having to chew on it…it just really bothered me…I donno. Sometimes I still get creeped out when I'm in the meat department in the market. LOL

sheep.gif

lol, me too ! a few days ago i watched a video on foie gras, the pics showing you the true reality while the voice (ironic tone) was telling you all the great things about the animals and how well they're treated. yuck !! never again !

Back