Save or Splurge on Blush?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
0806_beauty_price_7.jpg

Spend or Save? Spend.

The pigments in blush are very similar to those in eye shadow — the less expensive the product, the more likely it is that the pigments have been diluted with talc and other powder ingredients or are not milled as smoothly. "Inexpensive blushes might leave streaks, and they rarely give you a silky feel," says San Francisco makeup artist Hillary Clark. If you want to add color and dimension to your face, it's worth the money to buy a blush that stays on. And you shouldn't have to swipe your cheek 18 times to get the color you want.

Recommended Product

Nars Blush ($25, NARS Cosmetics) is loaded with pigments that are finely milled.

The Exception

"Inexpensive cream blushes tend to have more lasting color than powders in the same price range," says makeup artist Tina Turnbow. Because you dab them on the apples of the cheeks (rather than brushing them across the entire cheekbones), you can get a rich shade.

source

Just curious -- your post mentioned cream blushes.

Is a cream blush supposed to be applied before or after foundation? Or, is it to be worn without foundation?

Seems like when you put it on after foundation, it messes up your look when you rub it in.

ITA -- it's better to spend on a good blush. I've tried some terrible blushes that ended up in the trash because they were so cheap and of poor quality.

I am always mixed when it comes to lippies and eyeshadows... but when it comes to face products ie. foundations, powders, and blushes, I am an extreme splurger.

IMO there is no need to splurge on blush. Nowadays there are brands like NYX and Jane who make excellently pigmented blushes, I own a few blushes by both brands and I use them equally often as I use my MAC blushes.

I say SAVE! I use blushes that are a $1, but they look great because they are the correct color for me, and I splurged on great brushes to apply them with instead.

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif IMO there is no need to splurge on blush. Nowadays there are brands like NYX and Jane who make excellently pigmented blushes, I own a few blushes by both brands and I use them equally often as I use my MAC blushes. I am inclined to agree, though my opinion may be taken with a grain of salt since I haven't tried spendy blushes. I have some mineral blushes and you need so little of them since they are so pigmented. I can't imagine spending $28 for one Nars blush when I could get several mineral blushes.

yeah. the more expensive the blush obviously the better it is for a longer lasting look. but some of the cheaper ones like bourjois or maybelline's range can give you a realli nice dewey glow which i love at the moment.

I love nars blush so I say splurge. I dont own a ton of blushes though.I'm not a big blush girl .

spend ! as long as i haven't found my perfect blush, i will continue to search for it and spend my money if i have to.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have some mineral blushes and you need so little of them since they are so pigmented. I can't imagine spending $28 for one Nars blush when I could get several mineral blushes. I make my own mineral blushes so I say save. To make them last all day, I use a skunk brush to apply it damp (with a water+glycerin spritz).
smile.gif

Splurge!! Blush lasts FOREVER which is why i spend more, i rarely have to buy it. I love my NARS Orgasm blush!

I both save and splurge. lol. I love my CoverGirl and Jane blushes, but I also love my NARS and MAC. I think there are quality blushes at all price points, you just have to know where to look!

I've heard some professional makeup artists use La Femme blushes on some of the stars, and they're cheap!

Splurge, my holy grail blusher is a ysl blusher combination in i forget which number, i believe it was 28 pounds- about 56 dollars.. it's amazing..i adore it.

I have a rimmel blush for about 4 pounds which i also like, but ysl is the winner for me!

I dont even really buy blush. I have 2 msfs & a pressed powder, but other then that I use eyeshadows.

I love EDM blushes which are pretty cheap. I LOVE LOVE LOVE every one I've tried. I never used to wear blush until I discovered EDM, and now I own six different colors and can't wait to buy more.

Back