***The Official NHL Playoff 2008 Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, the NHL Playoffs are just about to begin.

Here are the eight team in the Eastern Conference - that's the good conference BYW.

Philadelphia Flyers vs Washington Capitals

Pittsburg Penguins vs Ottawa Senators

New Jersey Devils vs New York Rangers

Montreal Candadiens vs Boston Bruins

Montreal came in first in the Eastern Conference BTW

And just in case anyone cares about the Western Conference:

Detroit Red Wings vs Nashville Predators

Calgary Flames vs San Jose Sharks

Minnesota Wild vs Colorado Avalanche

Anaheim Ducks vc Dallas Stars

And Detroit was 1st in points in the -snore- Western Conference

My prediction is that an Eastern Conference team will win. Sorry Sidney but it's not your year yet. I'm going for the Canadiens.

And please someone clean Avery's clock!!!

2 days early hahah!!!!

Ill be cheering for Ottawa, and a little for Dallas(2 islanders, how can i not hahah). I change my mind pretty quickly though hahahh

Thanks Marisol

Saja

I didn't realize that that teams would be decided on Sunday.

Plus I'm starting to feel some withdrawl - must...find... hockey...fix.

Ottawa is not gonna last this time - They desperately need Alfredsson. However will Emery get to the games on time - being pulled over all the time with that eye catching Hummer...

Well I'm a little concerned about my Pens playing the Sens... Haven't fair too good aginst them lately! So well see!!! Hopefuly Sid and Malkin can kick ass and take names!!!

Truth be know I've been a Red Wings fan since way way way back... The Olympia Arena days... Does Gordy Howe still play for them?? Hahahaha

Originally Posted by Saja /img/forum/go_quote.gif 2 days early hahah!!!!Ill be cheering for Ottawa, and a little for Dallas(2 islanders, how can i not hahah). I change my mind pretty quickly though hahahh

Ohhh I forgot to mention........
BOO HISSsssssssssssss

And Dallas?? Ice hockey shouldn't be allowed where ice doesn't form naturally!!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ohhh I forgot to mention........
BOO HISSsssssssssssss

And Dallas?? Ice hockey shouldn't be allowed where ice doesn't form naturally!!
biggrin.gif

Well Id love to see Sid win, but I feel the need to cheer for a Canadian team hahaha. And you are right about the no ice, but im sure i wont have to cheer for them for long hahah!

hey i guess i will root for the Capitals. That Ovetchkin guy is pretty good.

Do you know if anyone has a pool like we had for NCAA basketball?

I was watching the commentators the other day and they were thinking the way they have teams get into the hockey playoffs is all wrong! what he thought was that a certain number should be guaranteed but maybe a couple of other ones would be by invitation. So if your team started poorly but did well toward the ends they would be in vs. a situation where a team trails off and has injuries etc. and obviously aren't doing anything in the playoffs. I somehow think they got too many teams in the playoffs. maybe this is an idea?

Darla, were these commentatories non Canadians by chance?

Seriously, each team plays 82 games. Every team has ups and dows. Every team has injuries. Every team has the same salary cap. yuda yuda yuda.

It's equal across the board. And it gives every team the same opportunity to reach the play offs.

This is how it unfolds:

Each division has 8 teams that make the playoffs. So 16 in total.

The 16 become 8. The 8 become 4, and the 4 become 2.

And finally a Canadian team from the eastern division wins!!!

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Darla, were these commentatories non Canadians by chance?Seriously, each team plays 82 games. Every team has ups and dows. Every team has injuries. Every team has the same salary cap. yuda yuda yuda.

It's equal across the board. And it gives every team the same opportunity to reach the play offs.

This is how it unfolds:

Each division has 8 teams that make the playoffs. So 16 in total.

The 16 become 8. The 8 become 4, and the 4 become 2.

And finally a Canadian team from the eastern division wins!!!

it probably was a US commentator. i take it you don't like the idea?

Honestly, since the Sabres didn't make the playoffs I haven't been paying too much attention.

Darla, I like the game the way it is. I'm more concerned with no touch icing - maybe that should be changed.

Karren, Pitts played really poorly against Phil on Sunday, the game that determines which team they play against in the play offs.

I wonder if they "threw" the game to play with an easier Ott?

i detected a little testiness there. I was just passing on what the commentor suggested. why did you think he was from US? ( you know me stirring the pot. no i have no reason to change things regarding who is in.)

I do think the playoffs is too long, but it is not just hockey, i think the same thing is true for baseball, basketball, and even football.

I never asked if the commentator was from the US, I said non Canadian.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm prejudice against the US.

I'm just pulling your leg Darla.

I watch TSN all the time - kind of like Canada's ESPN.

The commentators are all really fanatical, but very knowledgeable.

However, some of what they say is editorial. It's just their opinion. Doesn't mean it has been well thought out or is based on any facts.

Some of them want to see more teams in Canada, pulled from the US. Columbia is a good example, Florida is another.

Southwestern Ontario and Winnepeg would kill for a team.

Las Vega would love to have a team.

The league is not that large. But it is important that all the seats are filled for every game.

The NHL is going to expand into Europe. There will be about 8 teams to start with. May take a few years to get going.

Right now, some of the NHL exhibition games are being held in European cities to entice fans.

There is a new Russian league starting next year. The starting salaries will be about 1/2 of what a player in the NHL would receive. Ovechkin and Malkin would definetly play in North America. But some of the other average European players might prefer to play closer to home.

The NHL playoffs used to be shorter in duration. Now, every round is the best out of seven.

Not all hockey fans think the playoffs are too short.

Personally, I'd love to see them go on longer.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I never asked if the commentator was from the US, I said non Canadian.I don't want anyone thinking I'm prejudice against the US.

I'm just pulling your leg Darla.

I watch TSN all the time - kind of like Canada's ESPN.

The commentators are all really fanatical, but very knowledgeable.

However, some of what they say is editorial. It's just their opinion. Doesn't mean it has been well thought out or is based on any facts.

Some of them want to see more teams in Canada, pulled from the US. Columbia is a good example, Florida is another.

Southwestern Ontario and Winnepeg would kill for a team.

Las Vega would love to have a team.

The league is not that large. But it is important that all the seats are filled for every game.

The NHL is going to expand into Europe. There will be about 8 teams to start with. May take a few years to get going.

Right now, some of the NHL exhibition games are being held in European cities to entice fans.

There is a new Russian league starting next year. The starting salaries will be about 1/2 of what a player in the NHL would receive. Ovechkin and Malkin would definetly play in North America. But some of the other average European players might prefer to play closer to home.

The NHL playoffs used to be shorter in duration. Now, every round is the best out of seven.

Not all hockey fans think the playoffs are too short.

Personally, I'd love to see them go on longer.

i can tell you how it all started. there was a special report on the Caps and this was before they won their last 2 and i think it might not have even been certain they were going to get in (but i may be wrong about that) well anyway thats when he goes into this thing about how the selection process is screwed up and Ovechkin is the savior of the league (true no?) and that half the playoff spots should be by invitation.
I had been under the impression that hockey was hurting in the US because of the year they took off. and of course the bad boy all star teams playing in the olympics doesn't help either. But i know there are a lot of die hard fans out there.

Kathy, I wish that the Sabres had made the playoffs. IMO Philadelphia should not have made it. I Hope Washington kicks their butts. With Briere injured, I don't think Philly stands a chance anyways.

Darla, it wasn't decided until Saturday or Sunday if Washington would get in.

Maybe the commentator is anti Canadian. I dare say that Sidney Crosby is the future of hockey. So is LeCavalier, Nash, Doews, St.Loius, Price, Perry, and on and on. There are a few really good American players right now - Kane, Kelso, Jackson just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ovechkin is a great player. He is a great leader of the Washington Capitals and he is fabulous with his fans. But the reality is if he wants to be the best, the Capitals have to be a better team.

I don't get this invitation? Who is going to invite who? Does NBA have this invitation to determine playoffs? What about the NBA or the NFL?

See what I mean, it doesn't mean anything.

It's possible the hocky strike has hurt attendance. But not in the Candian or Eastern division. I'm not sure about the western division.

IMO, hockey will always have difficulty selling in warmer cities or cities that are not traditionally hockey towns.

And that's why a team will be in one city 10+ years and relocate to another.

Pittsburg - that has one of the best teams this year - was very close to losing the penguins.

I don't get the bad boy all star teams comment.

The US Olympic basketball team is jam packed with NBA stars.

Since my home team didn't quite make it to the playoffs, I'm gonna have to go with the Canadian teams. GO HABS AND SENS! Boo Calgary...it's against my religion to cheer for them lol

i think it was like 2 olympics going back that the NHL shut down play so players could play for their national teams. The US team which hadn't done anything much in the Olympics since their 1980 Miracle on Ice put together an US born All star NHL team and they just bombed in the Olympics didn't win any medals despite that level of talent.

the big news in the US was after they lost their last game the team destroyed their hotel rooms before leaving. thats what i was referring to. I think since then there were other teams made up of NHL players but you can be sure they were on their best behaviour. But yeah i don't like the superstar basketball teams either.

Cheerbear, can I guess that your team is Edmonton?

I know what you are talking about Darla. When the winter Olympics are on, all the Swedes, Fins, Russians, Americans, Canadians, Czecks and other nationalities are gone from the NHL for 2 weeks.

The NHL teams would have to dip into the farm teams just to get a couple of lines. And the attendance for the NHL games would be so poor that it would not be worth playing.

The NHL is a business just like anything else.

The US destroying the hotel rooms occured in Japan. That left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

In Vancouver 2010, the US team might do well. There are a lot of good young US players right now in the NHL.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cheerbear, can I guess that your team is Edmonton?
I know what you are talking about Darla. When the winter Olympics are on, all the Swedes, Fins, Russians, Americans, Canadians, Czecks and other nationalities are gone from the NHL for 2 weeks.

The NHL teams would have to dip into the farm teams just to get a couple of lines. And the attendance for the NHL games would be so poor that it would not be worth playing.

The NHL is a business just like anything else.

The US destroying the hotel rooms occured in Japan. That left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

In Vancouver 2010, the US team might do well. There are a lot of good young US players right now in the NHL.

Haha, good guess
wink.gif
Asides from the two Eastern Canadian teams in the playoffs, do you have a home team that you regularly cheer for?

Latest posts

Back