Calling all makeup artists

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so no one answered my last question..so I will change it up a bit

what led you to this awesome career...and what suggestions can you provide for an esteemed artist...do you suggest any types of formal education to improve techniques...I practice practice practice on willing faces who are happy but I want to know more and do more....

I appreciate all those who share their knowledge on this forum.

I have to say that I first got the "Bug" after getting the Kevyn Aucoin book Making Faces. I instantly started playing with color and trying to duplicate every look. I went to Beauty School and got my Esthetician license. Although, you don't need a license, in my state anyway, to do makeup. I did learn a lot about skin care though. I don't know much about makeup schools, but they are out there. And I plan on continuing my education, especially when it comes to airbrushing and theater makeup. I do suggest trying to get a "retail job" at a makeup counter. You get endless time with makeup and some counters even provide training on technique and color theory, MAC is the best for that and a dream job, I learned the most working for them. You are doing the best thing, PRACTICE...different looks, even those that seem out there. And don't forget to take pictures of the faces you do! Good Luck!!

^great advice! practice! practice! on whowever will let you! another tip is to volunteer your services to film, theater, and photography students! usually they have projects that require makeup artists, so, and that would be a great way to get yourself out there (and make sure you photograph everything.. build yourself a portfolio!),. hth! good luck!

Yes, pratice is key. I am an ameteur make up artist, I have a full time job as a sales rep and then do make-up on the side for pageants, pictures, proms, individuals, etc.. I have had no formal training, but everyone was always asking me to do their makeup, so I just kind of fell into it. I live in Alabama, where the demand for pros is not very high, so in order to really get into it as a career i would have to relocate, and I am not ready for all that! I am thinking about getting my cosmotology license though. Hair is not my strongest point, but I think being a colorist would be cool.

What everybody else has said is great advice also I suggest in Making bussiness cards & pass em out to everybody & to friends & family & have them pass em out to people as well !!! its worked for me & a potfolio is a must because people want to see what you can do & what your capable of!! Plus there are plenty websites around such as Modelcoast.com & Modelmayhem.com that help you to meet Models & photographers in your area ready to do photoshoots & help build your portfolios1!!!!11

Check out the Crystal Wright website, she has a great book that helped me a lot. All the info you could need when starting out

Doesn't really matter what you do in life.... Practice Practice Practice is highly recommended... IMHO...

Back