Sephora Beauty Book

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get it! we haven't gotten it in stores yet (at least my store hasn't), but i saw it at the book store and all it does is show you products from other brands. it's so stupid.

I bought it yesturday and I'm half way through it. I like it...there's a lot of information that I've already read in other books but there were a few good tips that I'd never heard of before. They do spend about 70% of the book focusing on product recommendations (from a variety of different brands) but that's to be expected in almost all makeup books and they do give tips and tricks about new and innovative ways to use the products so you might get something new out of an old favorite. Then they finish everything off with a Top 100 Products to Buy list. It's kind of like a cool Sephora catalouge with beautiful pictures and some pretty good makeup tricks.

i think i'm going to get it. i've read a preview of it and it seems interesting
smile.gif

i looked at it eariler this week in boarders.

it was like as everyone said, product recomendations for what to buy at sephora and tips that you would probably already know.

i will say there were a couple i didnt know, but i know them now since i sat down and read through the book in boarders.

honestly save your money, and buy another book or a mu item you really want.

I looked at it in Barnes and Noble and I didn't like it too much... basically like a make up catalog with products.

I just looked at this yesterday at Barnes & Noble and was seriously NOT impressed. It was very shallow- stuff like "for undereye circles, try Benefit's EyeBright". Well, no kidding. This is not new information. It was really, really shallow & didn't have "tips" like I thought it would. I'm glad I didn't buy it from the Sephora catalog, as I very nearly did. Honestly, I get more good info out of the catalog that I would out of this book. Very disappointing.

On a similar note, I found a new book there yesterday that I loved so much I actually bought it. It is called "Eye Candy" & is a whole book of different & very cool and unusual eye shadow ideas. Each one shows a photo, a drawn "map" of the eye & the colors used. It is really fun & gives me lots of new things to try. Just thought I'd share.

I see that there is different strokes for different folks..haha

I have the sephora book, and i really like it.. it does give tips from makeup artists, and show pictures of different products and what it does (stuff that sephora sales at their store..) there are sections.. like for fake eyelashes,dark circles under eyes, smokey eyes, cheeks, foundation and so on.. each section gives you tips, and products with pictures.. i really like it.. gives me some idea of a tip and a product i might want.. it is very good, cause i dont live by a sephora store or anything.. now on the eye candy book I didnt care for that one.. but as kristinawolf said she loved it.. so i guess it is just a persons prefrence.. give it a whirl.. if you end up not liking it, i am sure someone here would gladly take it off your hands.. but i do like it..

thanks

I got it and I really like it. I found some helpful tips so far and haven't looked through all of it yet
smile.gif

Hhhmmm....maybe I'll have to check it out in person. There seems to be a little split with whether it's any good or not. Then again, I'm a person who, right now, doesn't own a single beauty book. But...I was kind of looking for something more than product recs. I get plenty of that on MUT!! LOL!!

I saw this book yesterday at Border's. Good thing I didn't have the cash to buy it cause if so I probably would have bought it without even looking thru it.

Thing is, the reviews on Amazon were split pretty much down the middle. I am always skeptical of the 5 star ones, I figure it is probably people who are trying to unload their own copy. I know I have given good reviews to total junk I was trying to sell [nothing makeup related.] and the 5 star reviews just looked fake. [i can smell BS a mile away]

People talk about how they recommend this or that product but that is to be expected when a company does a "how-to" book.

Around here we have a store called "Half price books" that will eventually sell it for $8, I might pick up a copy then.

I gotta say tho, the photography and cover do look really impressive. I know I know, judge a book by the cover. I hate to say but I am a sucker for nice packaging.

Being a non-expert with makeup, I am sure I will learn a few things. Besides, I love Sephora makeup.

I would avoid beauty books that are released by makeup companies, makeup artists with makeup lines, or anyone that is being compensated for advertising products in their book. The authors are not honest and only interested in getting readers to buy their products.

I have read a few books, but I am not sure if I can make any recommendations. You can look through the collection of beauty books at your library before making a purchase.

I got it when I was first starting off with makeup and was clueless.

ch 1: What is Beauty? : mainly makeup line founders talking about that..

2: Faking It : bronzed all over skin, under-eye circles, plumped lips, cheekbones

3: Try This at Home: red lips, eyebrows, salon hair, smoky eyes, fake lashes,

4: Quick Fixes: concealer, hair products, foundation, mascara

5: Skin Smarts: skin, acne, sun care

6: Tools of Attraction: sephora brushes. this ch. was very helpful for me.

7: Meet the Masters: people behind the brands..

9: Product Shopping Guide: Sephora's 100 Must-Haves

10: The Future of Beauty: quotes...

smile.gif
I'd ony recommend it to a beginner.

Back