Okay, help a girl out here... Please?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always hated having ANY stubble on my legs, so I basically shave daily. However, I've also noticed if I skip a day or two without shaving, my legs start to itch like crazy. At the same time, it seems I'm giving myself a sense of razor burn given my skin is still extremely dry right now.

So, I'm debating on trying out Nair or Veet on my legs. Unfortunately, I seem to have VERY coarse hair, and the one time I tried Nair in the past, it didn't work for crap. I'm not even sure if it's worth trying or not, but I reckon I should at least try it once or twice.

Therefore, I have questions for those of you who have used such products:

(1) Which formula/brand is the best in your opinion, especially for stubborn, coarse hair?

(2) How long does it truly last? And with continued use, do the results last longer?

(3) Is there any other helpful info you might have for me?

Stay away from the Nair. It has NOT improved over time!

I had tried it years ago, the smell was terrible and like you said, it worked like crap.......skip ahead a few years, and like you I wanted to try again, it still smells just as bad, and doesn't really do anything. It works for very fine thin hair, but it takes longer then it says on the package......and you need to be very careful when taking it off not to rub, or else it burns something fierce! On top of that, some people get a reaction to it.

I've never tried Veet, so I can't help you there, but if you do try it, let us know how it works for ya!

Nair isn´t available over here, Veet is-so that´s what I tried. I think I tried like 3 different formulas. All of them did NOT remove all of the hair on my legs (and I have thin, blonde body hair), I´d say it removed half of it. It did leave my legs feeling silky, but a weird kind of sticky-silky. And I didn´t like the smell

Now one of the formulas was a bikini line product. It burnt like hell and when I washed it off my skin was bright red, in desperation I applied the Aftercare product it came with and it just made it worse.

I remember using Nair in the US once (a couple years back) and it worked pretty well and removed all my hair..I´ll have to get that stuff during my next trip.

But if you have coarse hair it might not work as well. I hope you still give it a try and report back to us!!!

i agree with andi. nair/veet (i've used both) skip patches of hair (even if the product is on it) and your legs will come out patchy. sometimes my legs get really itchy and feel like their stinging after i've used it. have you considered electrolysis?

Originally Posted by laurreenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif i agree with andi. nair/veet (i've used both) skip patches of hair (even if the product is on it) and your legs will come out patchy. sometimes my legs get really itchy and feel like their stinging after i've used it. have you considered electrolysis? No, but I'm pretty sure it's out of my budget range though. I'll have to look into the costs and whatnot.

As I was reading this, I thought - this is me-all of it. I gave up shaving a long time ago because of it. I used Nair in the past and it was terrible- burned my skin and did not work. I now use Veet- the sensitive skin formula. It DOES work for me- really well. I do have to leave it on for the maximum time allowed though, which is 10 minutes. To me it is worth it though. I have to use it about once a week to keep my legs as smooth as I want them. I am not very picky though and I admit that by the time the week comes, they do have a little stubble. I do notice that when I use it regularly the effect lasts at least a few days longer. I really do recommend you at least give this stuff a try- it may work for you as well.

Originally Posted by jessiej78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif As I was reading this, I thought - this is me-all of it. I gave up shaving a long time ago because of it. I used Nair in the past and it was terrible- burned my skin and did not work. I now use Veet- the sensitive skin formula. It DOES work for me- really well. I do have to leave it on for the maximum time allowed though, which is 10 minutes. To me it is worth it though. I have to use it about once a week to keep my legs as smooth as I want them. I am not very picky though and I admit that by the time the week comes, they do have a little stubble. I do notice that when I use it regularly the effect lasts at least a few days longer. I really do recommend you at least give this stuff a try- it may work for you as well. Thanks! Is it best to let the hairs be long as long as possible, or just use it whenever I get it (I think I last shaved two nights ago)?

I used Nair before and I got as rash all over my legs I am allergic to it

i do a fair bit of biking so when the weather gets nice, the hair comes off. i'm not so worried about daily smooth legs so i only do it once every couple weeks.

honestly, i've used the veet rasera before and it actually worked well. i have coarse hair and like jessiej78 said, i really had to leave it on for the max time for it to get those little buggers. what's nice is that it has this plastic scraper thingy that you use to clear off the cream and hair. works a lot better than just trying to rinse everything away. stubble comes back after a couple days so same as shaving i guess. when i shave, it itches like crazy. for me, the regrowth after using veet doesn't itch really. hope that helps and good luck!

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks! Is it best to let the hairs be long as long as possible, or just use it whenever I get it (I think I last shaved two nights ago)? You can use it whenever! That what I love about it. The bottle just says to have 24 hours between each use, I think.

shaving has always worked best for me. i like to use a tea tree and e moisture gel after shaving. i'll bet that something like aloe vera gel should help quite a bit. if you're still dry try adding a bit of olive or coconut oil to the gel.

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nair isn´t available over here, Veet is-so that´s what I tried. I think I tried like 3 different formulas. All of them did NOT remove all of the hair on my legs (and I have thin, blonde body hair), I´d say it removed half of it. It did leave my legs feeling silky, but a weird kind of sticky-silky. And I didn´t like the smellNow one of the formulas was a bikini line product. It burnt like hell and when I washed it off my skin was bright red, in desperation I applied the Aftercare product it came with and it just made it worse.

I remember using Nair in the US once (a couple years back) and it worked pretty well and removed all my hair..I´ll have to get that stuff during my next trip.

But if you have coarse hair it might not work as well. I hope you still give it a try and report back to us!!!

same comment here on Veet. i used the cream version, the mousse coming in a spray and the cold wax stuff. it stinks like crazy, and it removed only half of my hair (mine is dark brown not thick but not thin either). the wax was leaving my legs shiny but also sticky, i had to wash them after.
mom has Nair stuff (how funny, it's available in France). all i can say about it is it has the same stinky smell.

I use Nair and I find that it does smell a little bit but if you put a scented moisturiser on after you've used it the smell goes away. I have really sensitive skin so I can't use lot's of products but I've always been quite happy with Nair! I use the sensitive hair removal cream with camellia oil and ylang ylang and I gotta say there isn't a smell compared to Nair's other products and I only use it around every 4 days. Also hair removal proucts try and make you buy the product by displaying things like "Works in 3 Minutes!!" on the packaging which is always a lie. The time it usually takes to work is on the back in little letters where it says "Don't use beyond 10 minutes" so then you use it for 9 minutes.

When I first started wanting to use hair removal on my legs I started shaving but after cutting my leg open and leaving a small scar I decided to try more pain free alternatives
tongue.gif

I'm not gonna recommend wax, i do use a brand that is really good, but nair really sucks for coarse hair, same as veet, what i'd recommend, and it will prevent irritated skin, is epilady, the hair on my legs is very thick as well, nothing ever worked for fully getting rid of the hair, wax doesn't really help much, because you still have to pluck the remaining hairs out with tweezers after waxing, so i think getting an epilady machine is way much better in your case =)

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm not gonna recommend wax, i do use a brand that is really good, but nair really sucks for coarse hair, same as veet, what i'd recommend, and it will prevent irritated skin, is epilady, the hair on my legs is very thick as well, nothing ever worked for fully getting rid of the hair, wax doesn't really help much, because you still have to pluck the remaining hairs out with tweezers after waxing, so i think getting an epilady machine is way much better in your case =) Okay, epilators look painful LOL! You'll have to enlighten me and share with me all about Epilady!

I do, ahem, have coarse leg hair. I love the Nair that smells like cu***ber. It works like a charm for me, but YMMV. I leave it on for 10 minutes and that takes care of my leg hair. Be careful and do a test patch before leaving in on that long. Good luck! You could try this: Satinelle Ice Epilator click here for an advertisement: YouTube - Philishave Satinelle advert

I say use an Epilator as well, when I switched from shaving my legs to epilating them...Big difference, you don't have to do it everyday, it removes the hair from the root leaves your legs silky smooth, and you get used to the pain, it is well worth using it than shaving, trust me!!

Yeah, I just tried that Veet Rasera, and it blows. Didn't remove a single effin' hair, and I left it on the full 6 mins. I might have to look into an epilator.

Having your legs waxed by a pro is where it's at - the results last quite awhile too. I figured it was more cost effective than shaving as the razor blades I was using were very pricey (adds up if you shave every other day!). No shaving or nair for me.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, I just tried that Veet Rasera, and it blows. Didn't remove a single effin' hair, and I left it on the full 6 mins. I might have to look into an epilator. Is Veet Rasera the product with the plastic razor spatula thing? I tried that once and it sucked big time!

I've not used a hair remover cream for my legs, but every time I've used one either for facial use or on my arms, I get a nasty reaction
frown.gif

So now instead of waxing my arms, I now use an epilator and even though I've only used it the once, I can tell it's much better then waxing.

Back