College vs paul mitchell

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so to make my long story short.. last year i was going for nursing and then i decided that it wasnt really what i wanted. a friend of mine was leaving college and going to paul mitchell (we were in A&P together) and then i started really considering going for cosmetology also. i went to aveda and paul mitchell, and if i decided to go for that i would pick paul mitchell bc i just loved the atmosphere so much more. but after a lot of thinking i decided to stay in school and go for surgical technology. now that this semester is almost over..the idea of going to paul mitchell keeps coming up and i am really excited about it bc i know i would really enjoy it. but i also really enjoy medical stuff. about a mth ago we got to spend the morning observing surgies and at first i loved it and that it was awesome, then it hit me out of no where and i felt like i was going to faint. so i dont know if i am just worried about not ever being able of getting used to surgery, or is cosmetology what i should be doing since it keeps coming back to me. my whole life i have always loved hair and makeup and i know i would love it, but i am just not sure if its the right choice. saturday i went to paul mitchell to visit my friend and get my haircut, and all the girls there were telling me how much fun it is, and how i should go there etc. so i guess to anyone who is a cosmetologist or considering it, was it worth it? also does anyone know which career would make more. not that money really matters alot, i just want to make sure i can live off the salary.

thanks in advance for any adivce
sheep.gif

Depending on where you live, and the individual circ-um-stances normally nurses make more money. Honestly, the only advice I have is to do what makes you happy. I know it sounds corny, but when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, that's the best option.

Do the nursing career! You will make more money and nursing is a solid, stable career with excellent benefits. There are many different of areas of nursing you could go into, not just surgery.

It all comes down to what's going make you happy. Sure, earning more money is a nice incentive to choose the nursing over cosmetology, but do you have a passion for it?

It kinda sounds to me that hair/beauty is your passion, you keep thinking about it, you keep tossing up on studying it, sounds to me like it's something you'd really like to do.

You CAN earn good money doing hair/beauty, it just takes time, once you start getting more confident, and you start getting regular clients and your business builds, the money starts rolling in, it just takes time.

My friend was in the mortgage industry for a really long time... she made a +$90k salary a year... but it was NEVER her passion... she just felt obligated to stay in it since she did well for herself. And when the market turned, she thought it was the perfect opportunity to follow her dreams- and she's at Paul Mitchell, the one out where we live. I've never seen her more happy. And she's not afraid of the money scale difference, hard work and skill will pay your bills in the end.

Back