San Diego or San Francisco

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

Reaction score
Okay ladies, here's the deal. DH and I are thinking about going to SD or SF. I do not know much about either.
kopfkratz.gif
I live in Texas. We want to do a long weekend. We'd want the hotel to be NICE and really would want the hotel to be in an area where there's lots to see and do --mostly within walking distance. Tell me what you know and like (or dislike) about the cities and also hotels. I know this is asking a lot but if you live there or have been there then I know you have valuable info for me!
rockwoot.gif

Thank you chickens so much!
laughing.gif

Jen

honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

in SD, there's the pacific beach area and the gaslamp district. both have tons of shops and restaurants and bars and such.

in SF, you can stay near the wharf and a whole heaping ton of stuff is within walking distance. chinatown is a half mile away and north beach is pretty close. you could also stay near union square and hit all the shops in the area. anywhere else is a quick cab ride away.

I agree with Ticki! Both cities are great, especially for easy access in terms of transportation. Walking friendly or at least public transportation.

What kind of activities do you and your husband enjoy?

And how much are you looking to spend on the hotel?

I am in LOVE with SF! I love the way the city feels, if that makes any sense. If you have never tried Dim Sum, it is a MUST if you go to SF. The Mark hotel is GORGEOUS! It's in Nob Hill, close to Chinatown and great shopping and restaurants. The cable cars go right down that street.

SD is so fun too! the hotel i stayed at was right across the street from a mall! (I think it was called fashion Island or something) and the hotel was also right by a metro station. The metro can take you to old town, gas light, dwntyown, pretty much everywhere!

If it were my choice, I would pick SF in a heartbeat!

Good luck deciding! You have a tough choice to make!

I agree. I'm from the Bay Area and love the site seeing there - many things to do, especially around the Fisherman Wharf and Golden Gate park areas. LOVE it there.

But San Diego has to be my favorite So-Cal destination. I dunno much about there though. I like the beach-vibe and Old Town is really cool.

I guess it depends if you wanna spend your time relaxing and in the sun - SD. Or if you like doing a lot more activities - SF?

If you stay in Frisco, around Powell/Market they have many nice hotels and it's surrounded by a lot of stores. I mean, A LOT. And Chinatown and Italy town is close by. You can take a trolley there... take you as far as the Fisherman's Wharf and it takes you back too. I love doing that when I'm shopping there... great way to spend the day, imo.

Great surf and fish tacos in SD! It will probably be warmer (just my guess) and the water will certainly be warmer.

ive gone to both, and i prefered san fran.

but i was also there with my best friend matt and i was in san diego with my dad (so i couldnt do a whole lot).

I go to school in San Fran and absolutely love it there. The weather is beginning to look gorgeous this time around. Not too hot but not too cold either. Bf and I just went sightseeing yesterday! We did some shopping in Union Square, walked up to China town for some browsing, and caught a cable car to the wharf and back. Its amazing. And there are so many things to do and see! =] I'm an upbeat kinda not relaxing type of gal, so I like the must get up and do things activities.

I would do San Fransisco. I lived near San Diego, I didn't really sight see, but I think San Fran would be more exciting.

My fave hotels in SF: The Mandarin, DEFINITELY the Clift, the Fairmont, Parc 55, Hotel Vitale, Adagio

Thanks for all the awesome info!!! I think we may do SD soon and the next go around do SF! I want to do both!

TGIF and Happy Weekend!
rockwoot.gif

Since I live in the Bay Area, I would do SD too! I love San Diego- don't know what hotels you've been looking at but my faves are hotels with with rooftop bars.. Solamar, The Omni, The Gaslamp Marriott, The Ivy, The W of course, and my newest favorite SD hotel SO GORGEOUS- Tower 23!!!!

Also like The Keating and Sofia.

and if you are a traditionalist, the Del Coronado!!!

just be aware that the late afternoons/early evenings can get pretty chilly when the marine layer blows in. don't get caught unawares thinking that it's always hot down there.

I've been to both and i'd go back to San Francisco in a heartbeat.... Lots and lots of things to do and places to see... imho

I left my heart in San Francisco...

I have lived in the Bay Area for most of my life and recently moved. Now I am trying to relocate back to it. I adore SF. So much to do and explore. Each area you go to has a different feel to it. Awesome shopping and amazing food.

I like SD too and one of the things they have doing for them that SF doesn't is the warm beaches.

I, like many women here am a local Bay Area girl, and would totally recommend San Francisco. There is a lot of sightseeing to do around the city, lots of historic places to visit, tons of shopping, and there are a few good hotels that are walking distance to many shops, restaurants etc. Like the St. Francis (I think? it's right next to union square) and I know the Four Seasons is right on Market St.. a few blocks down from Westfield.

I've been to San Diego twice, and I am going again in a couple weeks, but I must say that there isn't MUCH to do there compared to San Francisco. But it is very relaxing, especially La Jolla. The only thing I think that would be exciting is the gas lamp district, which is only popular at night, but during the day it's kinda dead!

In both cities, the weather is moderate.

If you go to SF, I would have to agree with CellyCell and visit Chinatown and North Beach (aka Little Italy), you can also catch a Muni right up to Coit tower on North Beach!

it all depends on what you two like to do, relax by the beach and have fun in the sun? San Diego!

OR

Exciting activities, sightseeing, TONS AND TONS of shopping, and events? San Francisco!!

Either choice, HAVE FUN!!!

Latest posts

Back