Pore clogging ingredients in mineral make up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
there are claims that both Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide (two common ingredients in mineral make up) can clog pores. while they offer UV protection and other benefits to the skin, it's said that they can clog pores due to being heavy metals. however, Zinc oxide is actually used in some acne treatments, so there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether it's good for the skin or not.

there's also research that suggests Mica can cause skin irritations and lead to pore clogging.

does anyone know for certain whether these ingredients- Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide, Mica- clogs pores or not? i'm really concerned about this issue since several mineral brands have caused small bumps to form on my cheeks.

From what I've read, micronized nanoparticles of these minerals can enter pores but the non-micronized cannot because they are too large. I certainly hope this is true...

Products that contain higher concentrations of Z.O and T.D break me out. I believe that it is because those two ingredients are heavy enough to block out UV rays, it's gonna be heavy in my pores.

Z.O is the main ingredient in baby diaper rash ointments to treat and 'prevent' diaper rash. So this ingredient creates a waterproof barrier to protect baby's skin from urine and poop. So I imagine it is going to be heavy on my skin as well.

I am really dont know about that. when I used in a reguler make up I broke out.. and now when I use in MMU foundation with a high Zinc and high TD I'v never break out.

You probably broke out from the chemical ingredients in regular makeup. You most likely can tolerate high concentrations of ZO and TD.

thanks for the replies. i have no idea how to tell which mineral brands have high concentrations of ZO and TD.. i read somewhere on this forum that the ingredients are sometimes listed in random order.

mineral make up is definitely healthier than traditional make up, that's for sure!

It is all about the particle size. Make sure that the company does not use micronized minerals and you should be okay. I know that EDM does because I broke out terribly with their foundation and it also seemed to be lighter in consistancy (smaller particles).

Originally Posted by HannahBananna /img/forum/go_quote.gif It is all about the particle size. Make sure that the company does not use micronized minerals and you should be okay. I know that EDM does because I broke out terribly with their foundation and it also seemed to be lighter in consistancy (smaller particles). Do you have proof they use micronized minerals?
According to the Delphi Forums Mineral Makeup Mania, EDM doesn't use micronized minerals:

Mineral Powder Foundation Ingredients List

Original Glo, Semi-Matte, Matte, and Intensive Coverage Foundation: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007). (No micronized ingredients used.)

(Carina)

Personally, i've been minimizing the use of MMU and my skin is much better also i feel than generally wearing makeup be it MMU or traditional interfere with the skin not being able to breathe properly. This is just my perspective though;o) I've decided to leave makeup for special occasions! Recently, i've just been spot concealing and out the door!

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you have proof they use micronized minerals?
According to the Delphi Forums Mineral Makeup Mania, EDM doesn't use micronized minerals:

Original Glo, Semi-Matte, Matte, and Intensive Coverage Foundation: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007). (No micronized ingredients used.)

(Carina)

No I don't it was just an assupmtion based on the texture and the fact that they use the same ingredinets as Joppa's Soft Coverage foudation and other companies that I've tried and I have had no problems. The texture is definatly lighter making me think that though they might not be micronized they are definatly using a smaller particle size than other companys.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Mineral Powder Foundation Ingredients List

(Carina)

i just had a look at this page. it doesn't say Joppa is non-micronized.. so it means the ingredients ARE micronized? in that case, Lily Lolo (my current favourite brand) also uses micronized ingredients
bawling.gif
i can't tell which product is causing the skin problems, because i'm always testing out new foundations and finishing powders. but i'm definitely sure EDM makes me break out because i used that for a long time before realising there were other mineral companies out there.
is there any chance this delphi forum information is wrong/incomplete?? i think i might email the people at Lily Lolo and ask.

Originally Posted by Emily86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i just had a look at this page. it doesn't say Joppa is non-micronized.. so it means the ingredients ARE micronized? in that case, Lily Lolo (my current favourite brand) also uses micronized ingredients
bawling.gif
i can't tell which product is causing the skin problems, because i'm always testing out new foundations and finishing powders. but i'm definitely sure EDM makes me break out because i used that for a long time before realising there were other mineral companies out there.
is there any chance this delphi forum information is wrong/incomplete?? i think i might email the people at Lily Lolo and ask.

Your best bet would be to email the companies directly. Also, there's a thread somewhere here where i had specified who used micronized and who didn't but for the life of me i cannot find it
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Emily86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif is there any chance this delphi forum information is wrong/incomplete?? i think i might email the people at Lily Lolo and ask. I believe this information is correct and up to date. Each company listed states the owner at the end. The Delphi Forum is very reliable as well.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif I believe this information is correct and up to date. Each company listed states the owner at the end. The Delphi Forum is very reliable as well. yes most of the companies have the owner's name at the end, but there's no name for Lily lolo. if you have a look, it just lists the ingredients. i'm definitely going to email them and ask.. i just can't believe that such a superior product doesn't have these health considerations.

Originally Posted by Emily86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i just had a look at this page. it doesn't say Joppa is non-micronized.. so it means the ingredients ARE micronized? in that case, Lily Lolo (my current favourite brand) also uses micronized ingredients
bawling.gif

Well It looks to me like the Delphi Forums are just cutting and pasting information off websites. I can saythat the Delphi Forums are wrong on the Joppa Info because the Owner of Joppa is not Joanne it's Amy (I've received an email from her) and also Joppa States on their website the following. "All of our product's are NANOPARTICLE AND MICRONIZED MINERAL FREE. We care about the safety of our customers and employees and strongly feel that it is not necessary to use minerals with such a small particle size. By using non-micronized powders we have achieved a product that offers better coverage and wear. Try it for yourself and See and Feel the difference in your skin!"

As I understand it, the Delphi forums get their ingredient info from wither the owners or the jars. If the company uses micronized or not can only be confirmed by the owners/formulators so if it says "no micronized" that means they got the info from the owner, if it doesn't say anything, it means they don't know.

At least that is what I recall reading on there at one time.

i just called Lily lolo's customer service and found out that none of the products use micronized ingredients. phew!!

Honestly I'm not sure I believe all the hype over nano particles and the health risks.

Latest posts

Back