Getting J.Lynne foundation to work for me

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this question directed at a specific member in another thread, and then realized that other people may have some suggestions or be after similar information, so I'm posting a new thread.

I have dry and somewhat sensitive skin, and I love J.Lynne's products. I tried Lumiere's FF formula, and my dry skin loved it initially, but I think it clogged my pores somewhat. I got some J.Lynne samples and love the coverage, but alas, I sometimes get some flaky patches--not terrible, and probably not noticeable to anyone but me, but it bothers me nonetheless. Her product is the only one that doesn't break my skin out with acceptable coverage that I've tried, that has my shade, and I love her company--so I'd like to get her foundation to work for me if I can.

I think it honestly has to do with my moisturizer. I've tried oils, and they didn't seem to do much for me--I tried grapeseed, jojoba, and even EVOO and that didn't give my skin enough moisture. I finally recently switched to shea butter, and that seems to have markedly improved my face--but i'm wondering if there's something I'm doing that's making my skin so flaky? I was on accutane for 6 months 2 years ago, and my skins never been the same since. I exfoliate gently with a washcloth everyday, and then I use a more traditional scrub once or twice a week. I use a natural soap at night. My skin feels slightly tight after I use it, but I always moisturize, and I only use it once a day. It's the only natural product that's made my acne significantly better, so I'd rather not part with it.

Any suggestions? TIA for all the help!

Here is my routine and this works for me.

** I wash at night with Aveeno Moisturizing Oatmeal Facial bar.

** Currently I'm testing out some Emu Oil and I'm applying that after washing my face before I hop into bed. (Prior, I was using Jojoba Oil.)

** In the morning I use no soap or anything at all on my face. I just wash with warm tap water using my bare hands and blot dry with a soft towel.

I apply my makeup as usual. No oils under my makeup or anything else. I don't use any oil absorbing products under my makeup either.

** About once a week I manually exfoliate with a microfiber washcloth. This gets any flakey dry skin off my face. I believe this is the key to preventing the flakies. Get them off before they get out of control.

I find her foundation less drying than EDM's matte formula but slightly more drying than their Original Glo formula. Sort of in between the two. But her stuff lasts all day and remains looking matte, which is what I want.

I think perhaps you could try exfoliating only once or twice a week and not use soap everday? I use oil (jojoba or apricot kernel) to remove my makeup, and wipe off with a luke warm washcloth (water and ACV mixture).

I have normal-dry skin with the occasional acne. I find that water-ACV mixture on my face as it is not drying and leaves my skin very supple. Water alone makes my skin feel very tight, and it feels even tighter if I use soap. I remove my makeup early in the evening and spend the rest of the evening with emu oil on my face. I also use Desitin (diaper rash cream!) on my acne and that works really well.

Also, try drinking more water. Personally, I find it a struggle to make myself drink more water and I am a little skeptical about how beneficial it really is to the skin but isn't just about everybody saying drinking more water is good for you?

You could try using a primer. I know of a lot of people who use the Monistat anti chafing powder gel as primer, but there are plenty of companies who sell primer like this too. (people just use the Monistat because it's similar ingredients at a cheaper price.)

I have heard that JLynne is "geared" more toward people with oily skin, so I hope you can get it to work for you. I have dryish skin myself, and I think the mmu is making it drier. I have been trying to use the mmus that have moisturizing ingredients like Vit E or squalene added to them; not sure if it's making a difference or not. The ones with silk powder don't seem to moisturize my skin at all.

Silk powder is an oil absorber and inhibits oil production. Zinc oxide and Titanium Dioxide can be drying as well in higher concentrations. Foundations that list TD and ZO first are usually more drying than foundations that list Mica first in the ingredients.

Yes. On the Delphi Mineral Makeup forum, their homepage has a link to a massive list of ingredients for all the MMU companies. I'm not sure if you can view this list without first registering and joining their group. But here's the link just in case with all the companies ingredients:

Mineral Powder Foundation Ingredients List

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. My face w/ foundation is looking much better today already, so hopefully the dreaded flakes will be gone entirely soon.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Silk powder is an oil absorber and inhibits oil production. Zinc oxide and Titanium Dioxide can be drying as well in higher concentrations. Foundations that list TD and ZO first are usually more drying than foundations that list Mica first in the ingredients. I didn't know that about silk powder. I'd read that it controls oil but also takes moisture in from the air when your skin needs moisture (kind of like a balancer.) I think Silk Naturals is where I got my info about silk powder. Silk powder doesn't bother my skin - I just don't find it adding moisture I guess.Zinc and titanium definitely cause dryness. I can't wear any foundation that has too high of concentration of zinc oxide - my skin just tolerates it very badly (it causes burning, cystic acne, extreme dryness, etc etc). Titanium isn't as bad as zinc to me, but it will still get there with the dryness. ITA with you about foundations containing mica first being less drying. I used to have no problems with EM foundation (which has mica first) but now I even find that drying. I am really trying to seek out the mmus that are geared more towards drier sensitive skin (I avoid anything with kaolin clay, etc) - some have added Vit E or squalene and I'm trying to see if that helps too. I can wear Silk Naturals products pretty well - they don't seem to dry my skin more anyway.

I've checked out the J. Lynne site. Does anyone know where on her site she lists the sizes of products? All it says is "full size". TIA.

If you scroll down below the colors she lists the sizes.

Foundation/Primer/Finishing Powder:

Full Size: 30 grams net vol (10 grams net wt) sifter jar

Sample Size: 1/2 tsp. in a 5 gram jar

Glow Powder:

Full Size: 20 grams net vol (4-5 grams net wt) sifter jar

Sample Size: 1/8 tsp. in a 5 gram jar

Blushes:

Full Size: 10 grams net vol (2-3 grams net wt) sifter jar

Sample Size: 1/8 tsp. in a 5 gram jar

Eye Shadows:

Full Size: 10 grams net vol (2-3 grams net wt) sifter jar

Sample Size: 1/16 tsp. in a 5 gram jar