Hosting Exchange Student - any tips or advice?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice or tips on hosting an exchange student. The gal we "may" be hosting is from Germany. She is a semester student - so she would be here mid-August through approx 1st week in January 2009.

We find out if we are approved in about a week, but so far it looks very promising. Did the app, background check and the interview - and all good so far.

We know all the rules and regs, and understand it will not be all peaches and cream. None the less, we are very excited to experience this and welcome her to our home and country.

Anyone host an exchange student with any advice or tips?

Oh my gosh!! She lives!! LOL We missed you! My family had an exchange student from Croatia when I was in Junior High, so I was too young to really understand the process, but it was so much fun and we still keep in touch with her! I'd say just allow her to have her space and answer any questions she has so she doesn't get overwhelmed and help her to feel like she's home and a part of your family. If she is involved with a certain religion, allow her to go and maybe go with her on occasion. Our exchange student was catholic and we're Mormon, so we would go to Mass with her and she would come to our services too!

Great advice April. We "kinda" had an exchange student. Our youngest son's best friend, a girl, was having problems at home and spent her senior year with us. We treated her like she was one of the family, but also gave her some space and it worked very well. Miss Pout is from Germany, when you find out if you have been accepted, PM her and see what advice she can offer. I am sure you will have a great time!

Hey! Well I was an exchange student for 6 months during my junior year. I loved it, my family was the best

Hmmm what kind of advice could I give?

I don´t know how old she is and all, and I know there are rules and regs with the exchange program. But, keep in mind some things are way more liberal in Germany. Legal drinking age is 16, driving age is 18. So if she was a partygirl back home she might feel very restricted in the US. That´s how I felt to be honest. That´s why I´m glad my family was so nice, I even got to party a bit with my older hostsister (she was 25)

Also it´s very possible she´s not used to all the junk food. All the girls I knew who went to the US as exchange students gained quite a few pounds. Not sure if high school cafeteria food is junk everywhere, but in my high school it was. So you might wanna keep an eye on her eating habits, she will be thankful for it later lol

It´s hard to give much advice, not knowing what kind of person she is or how strict of a host parent you will be.

I´m just glad my host family let me go on dates, didn´t force me to go to church or anything, and were a mix of friends and parents for me.

I´ve heard bad things about host parents who didn´t show their exchange students anything, left them alone at the house babysitting their kids all the time. Or they were really strict and didn´t let them do anything.

this is an interesting thread. while i have neither been an exchange student nor hosted an exchange student, but i had known a few. i got the impression that most people that do that end up being most outgoing. i gues you have to be. The difference between how permissive society is definitely comes up. the last one i know well was from Brazil. he thought the US was too "stuck up"

the advices given are great. allow her to have some space. i also agree about the junk food thing.

Yeah, definately don't force church on them! I hope what I posted didn't imply that. We allowed her to go to hers and went with her sometimes and she came with us because she wanted to see what it was like. Also, what Andi said about the eating habits is a good point. Our exchange student probably put on 40lbs or more while she was with us. Oops!!

Originally Posted by AprilRayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, definately don't force church on them! I hope what I posted didn't imply that. We allowed her to go to hers and went with her sometimes and she came with us because she wanted to see what it was like. Also, what Andi said about the eating habits is a good point. Our exchange student probably put on 40lbs or more while she was with us. Oops!! wow. I gained 6kg in 6 months (that´s about 10 lbs I think?), but I loved it cause I had no curves prior to that. And I have a super fast metabolism, otherwise I would have probaly gained more than that.
I wasn´t implying that at all, April.

I was raised Catholic, but never liked going to church (if you have ever been to a Catholic church service in Europe, you´ll know why. It´s boring, and the priests speak a lot of latin), and am actually an atheist. So when my hostparents asked me to go to church with them I was like "yuck", but was too shy to say no, so I went. It was actually a pleasant change, I couldn´t believe how different it was. I mean the church was WARM, the seating comfortable, and there was enough lamps there haha. And the pastor had a microphone! All of these things are non existant in most churches in my country. And non of that stupid stand up-then drop down on your knees-then sit-then stand up again.
laughing.gif

Now I understand why religion is more "popular" in the US, which I think was very important to learn and see.

Overall it´s all about getting new experiences, encourage your exchange student to try new things. That´s what this is all about, to learn more about a different culture, and learn that the US is not near as bad as a lot of Europeans like to think
eusa_whistle.gif

That is some great advice. I know we had an exchange student when I was in High school and it was the best time.

dont molest her.

ha. but im pretty serious. most likely you wouldnt. but we had an exchange student from korea at our school. she was staying with a preacher or pastor or something...yup, & he thought he could molest her & get away with it. they found out & took her away from him & our school...she was so sweet. now she'll have to go back to korea & tell her family that american men cant help but touch you.

Back