My mmu samples smell like a 40-year-old ash tray.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a ton of samples from both EDM and Monave, excited to reap the benefits of a more natural mmu alternative......only to find that they all SMELL. I do not mean a fragrance, or a neutral odor, but a CLOYING, almost cigarette-like stench with notes of rotting corpse. It was stronger than my perfume, and smelled straight out of the sample jar -- not merely on me.

Also, the powder rubbed off on everything, even once it was blended on my face with a proper kabuki brush and was finished with their equivalent of "mineral veil". It got all over my telephone, and my hand, when I merely leaned on it.

I had the same problem with both brands, when applied wet/dry, with multiple types of quality brushes/sponges, and in multiple finish options.

Has anyone else had these problems?

well, mine don't smell (at least not from EM - haven't tried Monave) - the only one I've had that had a smell like cigarettes was Cory, and even then it was only the finishing powders. I do have the problem with the makeup transferring though. I notice it badly on my cell phone and the phone at work (gross) I just tried BE for the first time last week, and the MA at the BE boutique told me that their mineral veil is supposed to keep the makup "transfer resistant" and so that it lasts all day. I didn't buy the BE products yet, though I'm considering it, so I am not sure if theirs is any better, or not. Some of the different brands just don't last on me at all throughout the day - so if theirs will, then I'll buy it.

I've never noticed an awful smell with any brand of minerals I've tried, only a slightly powdery, slightly perfumed smell actually. Perhaps you're using way too much? I don't know...

EDM doesn't seem to last as long as other brands do on me, and it seems I'm not alone on that, so that I can empathise with..however,my mineral experience has been a pleasure so far, I really enjoy wearing it after years of hardly wearing makeup.I now wear makeup every single day and enjoy all the aspects of minerals apart from occasional spillages!

Minerals have their own smell, easily associated to stone to anyone who ever has been near stone drilling - and that smell has some smoke notes on it. But the smell is not strong, probably many users don't even get it. Silk has it's own odour, too, it's hard to describe because I don't know any smell like it. I don't find it pleasant or disgusting, it is quite neutral aroma.

But if your minerals have strong odour, it is probable that there is something wrong with them. Check if you can find where the smell comes from and return the products. Allthough mineral powders are unorganic and do not harvest bacteria, some organic substances are used in mineral makeup, too (silk, starches from different sources, some oils). And if some moisture gets into product it can be spoiled.

I never actually smelled anything nasty off my edm but then again, i never actually never smelled it. I haven't noticed anything strong enough to get my attention

I've noticed that smell with Cory minerals but never with any other brands.

I've never had any MMU transfer anything else though. (Well, except for BE, which was my first attempt at using MMU. BE made my face look like an oil slick and I itched and I could never find a match. But I digress...)

I am now using foundation from Sunkissed Cosmetics and Lure Beauty and neither of those transfer (Cory's either). In fact, I need to use a toner after my cleanser or else the makeup doesn't come off completely!

You're smelling the 'earthy' smell of minerals. Just proof they are natural and not covered up with unnatural synthetic perfumes.

EDM has the least amount of staying power on me. You really need to buff minerals into your skin to get them to 'meld' and become 'one' with your skin. The buffing creates friction which creates warmth. The warmth is what makes the minerals seep into your skin and create a long lasting finish.

That's weird! I've tried quite a few brands including EDM and Monave and never noticed anything. The staying power is good on me but my skin is quite oily and I think minerals 'stick' to it. In any case, this kind of makeup is better both for you and the environment and I think you should shop around to find a brand with a smell you like but not go back to chemical-ladden products. I'm sure you will find something you like with good staying-power.

I have a hypersensitive sense of smell, and I have never smelled an overwhelming scent of any sort when using MMU, including EDM and Cory. Yes, it smells vaguely of minerals (like smelling granite or rust or potting soil), but those are pleasant smells and VERY subtle - not anything that would be notices, and certainly not over perfume.

Maybe you're over-acclimated to perfume? I don't ever use any, because most give me migraines. But I can see how if you're used to perfumed/fragranced makeup and skincare products, you might notice when something *doesn't* have a fragrance covering it up.

I've had several MMU brands that "smell," the worst being Cory. But Dreamworld, The She Space, Elagant Minerals, Buff'd...all had a detectable smell. I think it is just the smell of the minerals. If you've ever noticed, regular rocks smell too! (don't ask me why I was smelling rocks though! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and that's all MMU really is anyway.

However, of them all Cory was the worst (and perhaps not just natural organic mineral smell). With the others, it was just the MMU itself that smelled. But with Cory it was the packaging and everything. I could smell it before I even opened the mailing envelope. I really do think that minerals have a natural smell and *usually* that's probably all you are smelling, but with Cory I think perhaps it is more than that.

If a product is being made in a place where there are "oders" it seems reasonable that they may absorb the smell. Like going into a smoke filled bar...you stink afterwards. I don't think it affects the MMU in anyway but I suppose its a matter of personal taste.

As far as color tansfer, it could be a few things.....What are you using under your MMU? Sometimes if you're moisturizer is too greasy or not completly absorbed into the skin, it can cause the MMU to rub off.

From what I've found, if my MMU tansfers, its usually becasue I'm putting too much on, or not setting the foundation.

Have you tried misting your face with a hydosol to "set" the MMU after you're done buffing? Or even just water in a spry bottle or a non-alcohol toner would work. I find the hydrosol really helps "set" the MMU.

Anyway, HTH!
smile.gif

I find that my mineral foundation transfers when I don't buff enough.

With respect to the odour, I honestly don't smell anything from my EDM, or any other brand.

in the first time the minerals can be very frustrating.

the mess and the using.. but!

when you will be with experiance Im sure you going to love it.

its take me a few months to use this makeup.

I use dry or wet or together and its great!

I have both lots of products from EM (as I have never tried Monave) and yes mineral makeup does have a slight smell to it, being that it is from all natural ingredients that are processed into loose powder form. I find that its slight smell is only prevalent when I have my nose up close to it or when dusting it on. However, once the product is on my face after a few minutes there is really no noticeable smell. So, I must say that I have never joticed any of the EM products smelling like cigarette stench or rotting corpses. Therefore, I am definitely sorry that it smelled that way to you.

Also, a problem that a number of people have with mineral makeup is it not being transfer resistant. I will tell you that I prefer using mineral makeup that has kaolin and/or silica in it the most, as it allows mineral powders to wear and not transfer the way that they promoted not to do so. Importantly, kaolin is known as being a superior oil absorber. And, silica gives a product better staying power and smoothing qualities to it as well.

Also, something that is very necessary when it comes to wearing mineral makeup is always wearing a makeup primer first. As, it gives your mineral makeup an ultimately smoother, more even base with which to go on to (versus just using a moisturizer only).

The key products that I use that really offer all day wear are:

1. Gel-based moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel)

2. Makeup primer-Has silica in it (Fyrinnae Rice Powder Primer)

3. Mineral Foundation-Has kaolin and silica in it (Fyrinnae's Superpower Foundation)

4. Finishing powder-Has Kaolin in it (Fyrinnae's Oil Control Powder)

I like wearing EM Intensive Foundation, but it is a foundation that even with their finishing dust applied over it is not really longlasting and it will transfer as well. So, that is why I have to do touchups throughout the day of the Finishing Dust over it, just to keep down oiliness and keep it looking fresh. However, I must add that I only use EM foundation and Finishing Dust on my face only when I am not going to be outside for long, or if I have a few quick errands to run only. As, its long-wear or transfer-resistant capabilities definitely aren't either products strongest points.

Mineral makeup certainly aren't all created equal so. I would certainly suggest sampling other mineral makeup lines and see how they smell as well as perform on your face two.

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a hypersensitive sense of smell, and I have never smelled an overwhelming scent of any sort when using MMU, including EDM and Cory. Yes, it smells vaguely of minerals (like smelling granite or rust or potting soil), but those are pleasant smells and VERY subtle - not anything that would be notices, and certainly not over perfume.
Maybe you're over-acclimated to perfume? I don't ever use any, because most give me migraines. But I can see how if you're used to perfumed/fragranced makeup and skincare products, you might notice when something *doesn't* have a fragrance covering it up.

No, not really, I don't wear perfume on a day-to-day basis (and when I do, it's something light -- I've got allergies/asthma), and face make-up even less. I don't even own a traditional foundation.
I guess I just have a sensitive nose.

I used to use a mineral line from Wei East, which didn't transfer, and didn't have a horrid smell, but the coverage and colors weren't so great. They were all yellow-based, and my skin is that pink-based porcelain shade. I really liked Monave's formula and coverage...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Reservechic /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have both lots of products from EM (as I have never tried Monave) and yes mineral makeup does have a slight smell to it, being that it is from all natural ingredients that are processed into loose powder form. I find that its slight smell is only prevalent when I have my nose up close to it or when dusting it on. However, once the product is on my face after a few minutes there is really no noticeable smell. So, I must say that I have never joticed any of the EM products smelling like cigarette stench or rotting corpses. Therefore, I am definitely sorry that it smelled that way to you.
Also, a problem that a number of people have with mineral makeup is it not being transfer resistant. I will tell you that I prefer using mineral makeup that has kaolin and/or silica in it the most, as it allows mineral powders to wear and not transfer the way that they promoted not to do so. Importantly, kaolin is known as being a superior oil absorber. And, silica gives a product better staying power and smoothing qualities to it as well.

Also, something that is very necessary when it comes to wearing mineral makeup is always wearing a makeup primer first. As, it gives your mineral makeup an ultimately smoother, more even base with which to go on to (versus just using a moisturizer only).

The key products that I use that really offer all day wear are:

1. Gel-based moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel)

2. Makeup primer-Has silica in it (Fyrinnae Rice Powder Primer)

3. Mineral Foundation-Has kaolin and silica in it (Fyrinnae's Superpower Foundation)

4. Finishing powder-Has Kaolin in it (Fyrinnae's Oil Control Powder)

I like wearing EM Intensive Foundation, but it is a foundation that even with their finishing dust applied over it is not really longlasting and it will transfer as well. So, that is why I have to do touchups throughout the day of the Finishing Dust over it, just to keep down oiliness and keep it looking fresh. However, I must add that I only use EM foundation and Finishing Dust on my face only when I am not going to be outside for long, or if I have a few quick errands to run only. As, its long-wear or transfer-resistant capabilities definitely aren't either products strongest points.

Mineral makeup certainly aren't all created equal so. I would certainly suggest sampling other mineral makeup lines and see how they smell as well as perform on your face two.

Thank you for all of the suggestions -- I will give the gel-based moisturizer, and kaolin/silica-based primers a try, and report back.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by yooniecorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif a CLOYING, almost cigarette-like stench with notes of rotting corpse. HAHAHAHHA! I love this and your title! Cracked me UP!!!
rotfl.gif

I noticed a smell with mineral foundations and finishing powders that have silk powder in them - Lumiere's and Oceanmist's - but that is the smell of Silk powder -doesn't smell so great to me.

Never had that problem with Cory's, EDM, or Monave though.

Seriously I have never smelled my MM,,nvr tot off..now that u gals have mentioned abt it...will try it...guess i wont hate it though...well the smell doesnt bother much though.

But its true abt the foundies not staying on my face...i had the same prob with Monave, Sheer Miracle,,,they dun seem to stay on my face even after misting my face. I dun think I have applied too much foundie too. I hve stained my clothes and even my fingers wen i just scratch the sweat on my face which cause me to itch..even my riding gloves are stained too.

Cory, lumiere, signature minerals have good staying power..they dun get on my clothes or hands...based on my experience.

Emma

I've tried a bazillion different brands, and though they may stay on my face all day (I wear Purely Cosmetics) and not rub off on my clothes, I've never found a single brand that doesn't come off on my cell phone. I think it might have something to do with the smooth, non-porus surfaces.

Cell phones are staticky, too - they pick up even the finest of lint. I'm constantly wiping mine off. I don't see why MMU would be any different - the static can easily pull particles away from your face and onto the phone with contact!

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cell phones are staticky, too - they pick up even the finest of lint. I'm constantly wiping mine off. I don't see why MMU would be any different - the static can easily pull particles away from your face and onto the phone with contact! hi there.. I didnt try this brand yet.. but I think I will.. just a question please.. this is not Monave reseller?

and did you try the under eyes cream?

thank you so much

Latest posts

Back