"MMU Purist", or "Whatever Works"? Which are you?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your criteria for choosing a MMU brand? Are you a Purist, choosing only those companies that use straight-up minerals? Or do you just go for whatever works, and have no problem buying from companies that include things like dyes, oils, and preservatives? What *is* "Mineral Makeup" to YOU?

Well for me...one of the main reasons I buy mineral makep is because of the lack of chemicals in the products the fact that minerals out perform traditional makeup is just a bonus! I like to try to stay as organic as possible.

I like the fact that only minerals can last longer than normal foundations and they don't tend to feel yucky after a while, they don't annoy me or my skin to wear them. So, for me, I'm trying to stick with more natural face products, including moisturiser...was thinking of trying out emu oil or jojoba oil as a moisturiser, as I have fairly normal skin really.

I like the feeling on my skin when I applying my foundi..when I used before in traditional makeup.. I'v allway break out.. and now my skin is flawless!

I'm a purist myself and will only use MMU without dye/oil/chemicals/preservatives (no drugstore brands - I don't consider them true MMU!)

i'm more of a purist especially for foundation, because the normal makeup did nohing but dry my skin and cause breakouts. i'm less of a purist when it comes to eyeshadows and mascara.

For foundation I am a purist but for everything else, I don't even usually stick to MMU!

I only buy from mineral makeup brands that are composed of 100 percent minerals only. However, mineral makeup is not the only type of makeup that I wear on my face 100 percent of the time.

I buy whatever works. This is because I have broken out from real MMU brands that claim to only have the 4 or 5 basic ingredients. Just because it's suppose to be pure doesn't mean my skin will like it. I learned that a long time ago.

Originally Posted by horsienut /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm a purist myself and will only use MMU without dye/oil/chemicals/preservatives (no drugstore brands - I don't consider them true MMU!) Me too! (except for the oil part, as long as its an organic unrefined oil, I'm okay with that). It scary what goes into traditional cosmetics! Especially since the govt. doesn't regulate it or have standards as to what can go into it. Who knows what kind of toxic crap is in traditional cosmetics..... like lead in lipstick! Its awful! When I learned about what some of that stuff can do to you, I tossed it all. That was 2 years ago, and I'd rather wear no MU, than tradtional MU. Same goes for drugstore MMU.
I'm a purist when it comes to skincare too! No parabens, no petrolium based products, no SLS. Only certified organic for me! For that matter I'm a purist with household products, detergents....the works. And when I can, I try my best to eat organic. I guess better safe than sorry IMHO. :/

I'm pretty much "whatever works".

Most "pure" mineral makeups make my skin tight and itchy no matter what I do (regardless of moisturizers, primers, etc). But the ones that aren't straight-up minerals don't seem to do that as much. I'm still looking around to try to find a mmu that actually works for me.
smile.gif

I'm a modified purist? I started out only wanting the super basic - mica, zinc, titanium dioxide and nothing else. I've let myself graduate to allowing other naturally derived ingredients like jojoba oil, boron and silica. Still not gonna go as far as parabens, bismuth or other fillers that are harmful.

I'm pretty purist, too - if it has parabens, or any oils or vitamins that need preserving, or dyes....I'll pass.

After using small-company handcrafted MMU, I have a REALLY hard time seeing people talk about big-name makeup companies "MMU" in a positive light. Even Arbonne and Physicians Formula has parabens in it!

I have to temper my opinion, though - my makeup needs are extremely minimal compared to most people's. I don't need super coverage or long-lasting won't-budge foundation. So I try really hard not to judge! Probably not hard enough, though.....because dammit, Revlon & Maybelline "minerals" are just NOT MMU! LOL!

Hmm, well. I like the foundation that is "pure minerals" as in the ones that only have a few ingredients. But I'm happy for my eye shadows not to be. Fyrinnae's eye shadows are some of my favourites but they're not "pure" at all. Some of them have dyes.

Great question!

I've never thought of my makeup tastes in terms of being purists or not but having been posed the question I realize that I have become a purist for sure when it comes to mineral makeup foundation, blush, and finishing powders. I think this is largely due to the positive affects that it's had on my complexion and the great results aesthetically that I've had with pure mineral lines.

When it comes to the eyes well that's a matter of a different sort. I will use dyes, preservatives, and more "complex" formulas to get beautiful results from any number of companies.

It seems that my pure line is drawn with foundation, blush, and finishing powder.

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great question!I've never thought of my makeup tastes in terms of being purists or not but having been posed the question I realize that I have become a purist for sure when it comes to mineral makeup foundation, blush, and finishing powders. I think this is largely due to the positive affects that it's had on my complexion and the great results aesthetically that I've had with pure mineral lines.

When it comes to the eyes well that's a matter of a different sort. I will use dyes, preservatives, and more "complex" formulas to get beautiful results from any number of companies.

It seems that my pure line is drawn with foundation, blush, and finishing powder.

I agree with you, NYL. As far as foundation I am 100% purist but I am a little less picky once I have that layer on. My favorite pink blush color has carmine which isn't a mineral but it is the prettiest color that minerals alone can't seem to duplicate. I also love tarte gel blushes which definitely aren't purist. LOL. I am a purist when it comes to skincare too- no commercial brands of soap or moisturizer- now it's emu soap and emu oil. So I guess my first layers have to be purist but then colors I'm not so stringent about.

Whatever works for me! I really don't care about it being "all natural" and my skin isn't really sensitive to anything.

Latest posts

Back