Internetchick's no buy

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
I am going for three months of no makeup purchases. I won't need foundation or mascara in that time. I can't seem to leave the store without buying something. Literally. I talked to my husband and told him that I need him to either go with me, or go to the store without me. I am OK at home, but as soon as I get to the store I check the clearance, see what's on sale, etc. It's always the good deals that get me. Today I went to K Mart for a few things we needed, and bought two e.l.f. empty compacts($1 each), Milani luminous(30% off), a L'Oréal mascara that was on clearance for $3, and an Image Essentials natural hair angled blush brush that came with a free natural hair small crease brush($3.99 for both and I really needed it!
biggrin.gif
). And earlier today? We happened to be by the Dollar Tree by my husband's grandpa's house, and the kids wanted to spend their money. So yeah, I walked out with 4 Cover Girl liquid eyes shadows. You can see I need to stop right? I don't think it is a serious problem, but it is a problem. I think after 3 months I should be back to my normal spending habits. I just need to quit cold turkey.

You can do it. I'm the same way, i'll go on a no buy but its so hard to resist stuff thats on sale.

Thanks you two! 3 months seems like an eternity. Hopefully the kids being on summer vacation will keep me busy. I gave away all my makeup coupons. They are going to expire before my no buy ends, and I'll feel pressure to use them otherwise.

Good luck!!

I see from your ticker that you already started the no-buy! Don't worry, 3 months will pass by quickly.

I do the same thing! I justify it because it's on sale or clearance. I was looking at my stash and I realized that by buying say, 10 $3 lipsticks or whatever, that just get mixed in and never used, I could've bought two MAC items that I would use all the time! So I'm not really saving any money in the long run!

You can do it. Maybe try to avoid the make-up aisle when you're shopping too, that's what I do when I don't want to buy stuff.

I should avoid it, but I can't LOL! Not at this point anyway.

So, confession time: Like I said in the Orange l/s thread I did cheat on my no buy to get some lipstick to take care of my ugly azz dark circles, but I found better results with some mineral blush so I took it back. No harm, no foul right?
biggrin.gif

lol, internetchick, you make me laugh a lot because even though you're on a buy, you go to check out a lot of things! I can tell from all those threads! But you have great self-control for not buying any of those things you checked out (except for the orange lipstick! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

laughing.gif
I know! I should stop looking. I need someone to go with me so they can slap my hands and say "witch you don't need that!"

I think part of my compulsive buying is that I have really gotten into makeup again this time around, but I don't have much of anything. I would get into it before and give up after awhile, but this time I have found this forum and tons of YouTube videos and now I feel like I can actually learn how to do it well.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
laughing.gif
I know! I should stop looking. I need someone to go with me so they can slap my hands and say "witch you don't need that!"
I think part of my compulsive buying is that I have really gotten into makeup again this time around, but I don't have much of anything. I would get into it before and give up after awhile, but this time I have found this forum and tons of YouTube videos and now I feel like I can actually learn how to do it well.

I hear ya kiddo... I've been buying a bunch of stuff, not so much cuz I need it. But cuz I wonder how it'll work, if it'll work blah blah blah...
I need to stop!

Maybe we should make a buddy system, lol!

Report every other day or week, our cravings and how we're dealing with it.

No lie, when I joined this site a whole ago I was like that too.

I looked at stashes and essentials and was like, hmmm I dont have enough. So everytime I went to the mall, i spent. I went to Walgreens, it was the worst cause I spent $100.00 at a time, and could go in there and get lost and make rounds on drugstores for hours at a time because I was amazed that stuff was cheap and pretty.

Then i went from one small box, to a small traincase, to a big traincase, to stacks of drawers full of drugstore and other brands. I got dizzy, and now, I have reduced.

So i totally understand where you are coming from, I am not on a no buy, but i havent bought much because there's a box in the bathroom, a very evil box and its full of unwanted stuff so......i promise youll get there

I have been using my time to get to know what I already have. I have discovered that my NYC highlighter that I was thinking about throwing out is a great base to make my shadows pop. I have been reviewing products I have, and I finally got around to trying my free sample of Glass Bottom Boat eye shadow.

Urge to buy falling ...

But not gone.
wink.gif

I am finding that now when I look at stuff, I tend to think I already have something like that or I don't think I would even use that very much. I have been thinking a lot about what I already have, so that I can come up with a list of things I really want to round out my collection(Not all at once after my no buy
biggrin.gif
). So far:

MAC 187

MAC shadow brushes(I have not seen these in person yet, so I will wait until I do to pick specific brushes)

Thin eye liner brush

More Jane Gel Liner(I want the other three colors)

HiP Liner in Teal

HiP Jelly Balms(saw only 2 I wanted)

UDPP

Mascara Primer(probably MAC prep + prime)

False lashes and Duo glue

Some more NYX glosses(seriously LOVE those)

And, I think I want to try Revlon ColorStay foundation. It seems to have a good following, and as much as I am loving my NYX foundation I hate that I have to order it online. Besides, ColorStay I can buy on a BOGO sale. I am waiting until I use up my NYX, which will be quite some time. I only need very little of it.

So that is my no buy ramblings thus far. lol

I hate to rain on your parade, lol
biggrin.gif

The drugstore that starts with a C and ends with a S is having BOGO on Revlon stuff
biggrin.gif

I am the worst no buyer ever!! I went to the MAC counter ...

and I got one of the new mineralized blushes and some mascara primer. And I would feel bad about it if my cheeks didn't looks so glowy and fabulous. So I made it what, 3 weeks? I also signed up for a free makeover on Friday, since they are having an event and it would be free. I might cancel, because it will be hard to walk out with nothing.

So there you have it. I am a weak woman.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am the worst no buyer ever!! I went to the MAC counter ...
and I got one of the new mineralized blushes and some mascara primer. And I would feel bad about it if my cheeks didn't looks so glowy and fabulous. So I made it what, 3 weeks? I also signed up for a free makeover on Friday, since they are having an event and it would be free. I might cancel, because it will be hard to walk out with nothing.

So there you have it. I am a weak woman.

Well, at least you tried right? Which blush did you get? I can't wait to see them in person!

They are so pretty in person! I got Dainty.

I think I am going to keep my no buy up, but maybe switch to limited. If anything, my spending has cut way back. I wasn't cutting into our bills or savings with my spending, but I did think I was buying too much. I might just do a stick to what I need or really really love buy.
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Back