Growing Out Your Hair Support Thread (don't forget pics!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a short asymetrical pob since January and I've decided to let my hair grow out. I haven't had in cut in about six weeks and it's been growing pretty well. I'm taking "Hair, Skin, and Nails" Vitamins and Fish-Oil suppliments, conditioning it well, and protecting against heat damage and so far I've gotten about an inch and a half of growth.

Right now, it's in a decidely funky stage but I've been wearing a head band and "pouffing" the hair around it. So far, this looks alright and I'm hoping within another month or so the bottom will be long enough for me to clip back into an updo.

How have ya'll dealt with grow-outs before? Any tips, advice, or rants?

OMG pob grow outs are the WORST!

mine is finally down to my shoulders but it's taken a long time.

I'm also growing out my fringe (bangs) so I feel your pain!

I want to get down to just above elbow length!

My hair is pretty long, but I'm waiting for it to grow 5 more inches! I want really long hair. I'm not taking anything or doing anything though. Any other suggestions? I've heard good things about prenatal vitamins.

ooh, yes, they'd be good I reckon.

I'm not taking anything either, just waiting, lol.

My hair is still fairly long, but I'm currently trying to grow out layers... *groan* It's so painful, I just want my hair all the same length again. The layers start at the bottom on my chin and then go from there. My hairs length is about..mid back length. The last time I had it cut, which was about..3 weeks ago? The hairdresser went a bit scissor happy, so I've just got to persist with trims til I get there...this could be a long wait
frown.gif

I'm growing out my hair too. I couldn't bare taking care of my longer hair when I got it cut - but now I noticed how it suited me a lot more. I want it the same length as Rosers, right above my elbow. Straightening that will be a massive pain - but I learned about thinning, so it might take some of the work out of it. I'm also curious to how it'll look curly at that length.

I wanna cut some blunt bangs, but I dunno - I'm scared. I just don't know how to style my bangs (or hair) at all. My hair is evil... I'm sure of this.

My hair has grown out about almost 2 inches since I've last cut/colored it in late April. I should start taking my vitamins again... sigh*

my hair was just above my shoulders a couple of months ago, and now it's at my collarbone. i used to have pretty long hair, just above my elbow. i miss my long hair sooo much
frown.gif
i hope it'll be that length again by the end of the summer. i've been taking prenatal vitamins (not for my hair, but because doctor recommended it for me as i'm a "growing young woman") and they've made my nails super strong and my hair is growing really fast, and my hair grows like grass without them. prenatal vitamins are gooood stuff.

Ohhh blunt bangs.... I'm trying to grow out some of my bangs.

They were too wide - I want more narrow, wispy ones now.

I've been growing them out since last fall - verrrry painful.

I have to pin the longer bangs back, or they look like crap!

Celly, before you make my mistake - have a stylist do the bangs. Start wispy before commiting to blunt bangs.

what I did was pin up short hairs in bobby pins and keep it in a updo

took some patience and good shampoo and my hair is finially just below my breast ,my goal is half ways down my stomach

good luck!

Yea I'm in the process of growing out my hair as well. My hair goes to my bra strap so its kinda long but I want it longer than that. I do my own trimming. I condition it well and make sure I do a hot oil treatment every week. I also let my hair air dry instead of blow dryin it. The only heat I use on my hair is a straightener on my bangs but thats because if I dont they are all frizzy and curly and I dont want that. I also use a leave in conditioner so that it'll help. My only prob I have with the growing out my hair is that my hair is frizzy. Nothing I do seems to help but I'm just learning to deal with it. I find if I take a shower at night and let my hair air dry and sleep on it then its smooth with just a lil a mount of frizz. It takes time and patience with growing hair out so good luck and let us know how its going.

My hair was quite heavily layered. Its was a mistake, it took me forever to grow it out so the hair doesn't stick out at the layered parts. Took me 8 months!

i'm growing my hair out as well. it's about 2-3 inches past my shoulders right now. i could probably use some evening up, but i'm not touching it for anything more than a trim until i get to bra strap length. luckly i never cut in bangs or layers, but i did start it from a teeny, weeny afro length and i still have a bit of color on the ends. i do take gnc hair, skin and nail formula, but i only take one a day versus the two a day that is recommended. my goal in to get to mid back level. i think i can, i think i can, i think i can! lol~

count me in! I had it cut into a bob almost 2 yrs ago and have been trying to get it long again ever since..its a little passed my shoulders now....

well, my story is while i was in chemo, it was falling out :-( so much it left a big bald spot, i had a short haircut anyway but it was still my hair!! (i used to wear it in a faux hawk :)) Well anyway, i made the painful desision to shave it all off..it was the hardest thing to do lol, i never realize how much my hair actually meant to me, after all the years of abusing it and dying it I had reallly taken it for granted, and Poof! it was gone! at first i was crying my eyes out, my hubby made jokes about how my head look like his (he's a marine mind you) i wanted to punch his lights out, but it was really cool how he was trying to get me to laugh. Its been about 2 months since i've made this life changing altercation to my head and i co uldn't be happier, i never knew my hair was curly!! boy was i suprised! I have a small mini fro with some thin areas but under the direction of a beautician i have been using dr. miracles gro balm and it has really worked wonders. My hubby is constantly saying your hair is getting soo big! now i'm really excited for it to grow out and can't wait to see the progress it has in about a year, i'm seriously thinking about getting dreds now, i've always wanted to so i guess now is my chance!!

^Dr. Miracles products are amazing!

I'm currently growing mine out. It's pretty annoying because the back grows way faster than the front, so I have to be careful or I'll end up with a semi-mullet. I'm aiming for shoulder length before the baby gets here.

I am growing my hair too but its natural. so far I have an inch of relaxed hair and 4-5 inches of natural hair. I dont use any heat on my hair and i always wear my hair in protective styles (braids or scarves). I am pretty excited cus when i last took my braids down, my back hair was pretty long ...so YAY!!!..I will let you guys know when i cut off my relaxed ends. I mainly use coconut oil (some times dabur coconut oil), silk protein, carrot oil, henna and egg (about to switch it with mayonnaise). !!!!

Vitamins, Lecithin, B complex will help it grow faster and healthier.

Massaging your scalp also really does help - the blood flow increase.

I'm also growing my hair long again. I have had it short for so long and now I am ready to a change. Thankfully, it grows fast. I just got bangs cut as well so it'll be ineteresting to see how it looks long with bangs as I've never had it that style before.

honestly, when i was taking vitamins, i didnt notice muchh growth...only in my skin and nails but not my hair.

I feel really sorry for the people who have to wait ages for their hair to grow out. My friend got her hair cut into a bob last year and it hasn't grown since then and she hates it.

I have the opposite problem. My hair grows too fast. I'll have it cut and within a week it looks scruffy again. The only bit of my hair that doesn't grow is my fringe (bangs) which is SO annoying because when I had it cut I didn't get it cut in a style just your average blunt side fringe and now I regret not getting it cut like a proper side swept fringe but I have waited for over half a year for it to grow and it's only JUST got past my eyebrow *sigh* so it's at that awkward length where you need to cut it if you want to be able to wear it down and still see but you can't cut it 'cos then you'll never grow it out. I just thank god for hair grips lol

Latest posts

Back