Mineral eyeliners

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many mineral users use mineral shadows/liners (loose) for their eyeliners. Quite honestly I don't because of the mess or spillage onto my undereye area or cheekbone - but I always vow I'm going to everytime I run out of a MAC fluidline or one dries out. If you do use the loose powders do you use a fixative like Milan's or Pure Luxe's gel drops or something else like water, Visine, smashbox's, or BE's?

i've tried using mica pigments as an eyeliner. i use a damp brush with my glycerine mixing medium and make sure there are no loose pigments that can fall before i apply. effect is pretty good with udpp but i guess mac f/l or other gel liners are still more long-lasting.

NYlartin...

we meet again. I use cory's eye primer,, not bad. sometimes I mix with alittle bit of water...it does not drop on my cheeks or just below the eyes.

hope this helps.

emma

I always use a damp brush for eyeliner. So far so good but the color is not that intense so I might try one of those mixing medium, see if that makes a difference.

I use loose eyeshadows as liners. I think the key is to finding a company that makes a very fine milled powder. I find powders that are 'chunky' or have bigger particles or granules fall off my brush easier. If the powder is more like a fine dust, they cling onto my brush and stick to my skin much better.

I have recently sampled Fyrinnae's eyeshadow "Snow Leapord". This stuff is very finely milled into a smooth powder. No chunks, big granules or particles. It adheres to my skin and stays on without falling off onto my cheeks.

Cory's eyeshadows are the same way. They're awesome. Very finely milled and goes on like velvet. She uses the least amount of ingredients in her shadows.

I also purchased a couple eyeshadows from The She Space. The colors are beautiful BUT....the powder is chunky with large glitter particles. I hate it! I have massive fall out when I apply these shadows. I should have sampled first but these colors where for a fund raiser for a very ill little boy and I wanted to contribute. I won't order from this company again due to the chunky consistancy of the shadows.

^wow thanks for that mini-review. now i am kinda regretting ordering from TSS. i ordered over a week ago and the samples still have not been shipped. the colors were all very pretty and int'l. shipping is cheap. customer service leaves something to be desired, though.

Like some of the others, I always use a damp brush and I get really good long-lasting results and no spillage. I like Alima liners.

Im using with water.. because my eyes is soooo sensitive and Im wearing hard eye contancs.. its a night mare..

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm wondering how many mineral users use mineral shadows/liners (loose) for their eyeliners. Quite honestly I don't because of the mess or spillage onto my undereye area or cheekbone - but I always vow I'm going to everytime I run out of a MAC fluidline or one dries out. If you do use the loose powders do you use a fixative like Milan's or Pure Luxe's gel drops or something else like water, Visine, smashbox's, or BE's? I love LaurEss Gem Liners since they are specifically made to be used as a wet eye liner.

Just going to throw out a suggestion here.....does anyone use mineral eye pencils? I've had really good luck with them. I can use loose liners using the wet method on my top lid, but can't on the lower lash line. No matter what, it runs or smears and makes it look like I have really dark eye circles. And I tried everything..... Pure Luxe liner gel, Cory's clear cream liner mixed with loose powder, eye primer.....everthing, but no luck.

Then I tried mineral eye pencils. I still like the chemical/preservative free quality of good MMU, but I was pretty desprate to find something that worked. I found that Coastal Scents has natural mineral eye pencils in over a dozen shades, and they don't have any of the chemicals or preservatives like tradional eye liners that so bad for sensitive eyes.

I have about 7 colors, and they work great. No running or smearing, no mess like loose liners, they stay put all day long, even through a gym session. And it makes me feel better that they're mineral based, with no parabens or artifical crap in them.

i use a damp eyeliner brush (w/ mixing medium)

the colour comes out very pretty.

i use e/s as eyeliner, not eyeliner powder

Originally Posted by egyptomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif Just going to throw out a suggestion here.....does anyone use mineral eye pencils? I've had really good luck with them. I can use loose liners using the wet method on my top lid, but can't on the lower lash line. No matter what, it runs or smears and makes it look like I have really dark eye circles. And I tried everything..... Pure Luxe liner gel, Cory's clear cream liner mixed with loose powder, eye primer.....everthing, but no luck.
Then I tried mineral eye pencils. I still like the chemical/preservative free quality of good MMU, but I was pretty desprate to find something that worked. I found that Coastal Scents has natural mineral eye pencils in over a dozen shades, and they don't have any of the chemicals or preservatives like tradional eye liners that so bad for sensitive eyes.

I have about 7 colors, and they work great. No running or smearing, no mess like loose liners, they stay put all day long, even through a gym session. And it makes me feel better that they're mineral based, with no parabens or artifical crap in them.

HI eygpt,,,

thanks for the infor. I am a die hard fan for pencil and liquid eyeliners. I will keep them in mind when I order the next time. I got to clear my bills for all my current orders. No spendin free for now. hahaha..

I shld say i have tried Fyrinnae liquid eye liner..(lovers quarrel). The colour not bad but the brush is abit hard and its bit diff to draw the line. it does not flow that well.

Emma

Hi NYL

I use PureLuxe's gel medium and it's really good for adhering the minerals all day but so is Visine. I use mineral powders for liners at times but more often I use fluidlines. I do love your info Lauri Lu on not using chunky type minerals= thank you

and thank you too Egypt for the rec on mineral liner pencils

Originally Posted by emmy2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif NYlartin...
we meet again. I use cory's eye primer,, not bad. sometimes I mix with alittle bit of water...it does not drop on my cheeks or just below the eyes.

hope this helps.

emma

Hi Emma, thanks I haven't tried Cory's eye primer - I don't think I have anyway. I'll have to check.
Excellent tips Laurie Lu. Thank you.

thanks Yuki, 4everrose, Egypt, simi, jooksta, and kitchy.

Kithcy I saw the tute on how to make your own glycerine medium and thought about making it but haven't. this is a good reason to do it.

Thanks Cookie. Could you buy me some Gel medium from Pure Luxe for your Birthday please?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I put a heavy coat of powder or foundation under my eyes before applying messy eye colors. Than when I am done I use a fluffy brush to remove the powder and any stray color comes with it with out leaving color behind.

I love the mineral eyeliners, the ones I use are Bare Minerals, I apply them with water and they last all day and im satisfied.
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by mgmsrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif I put a heavy coat of powder or foundation under my eyes before applying messy eye colors. Than when I am done I use a fluffy brush to remove the powder and any stray color comes with it with out leaving color behind. Great idea. I'm so lazy but definitely going to up my techniques now that I'm wearing makeup again. Thanks for the idea

Originally Posted by cynpat2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love the mineral eyeliners, the ones I use are Bare Minerals, I apply them with water and they last all day and im satisfied.
rockwoot.gif
BE's liners are great. I really love Coffee Bean, Green Tea, and Sex Kitten as liners. Onyx is great too.

I think the brush is really important for good MMU liner application. I like using a small but rather dense brush for the mineral liners even if using fixative. I love Sonia Kashuk 05 or mini chisel from Lumiere. I also pat on rather than try to do a fluid line. Also, you can use Fluidlines and then pat some mineral liner on top. Especially great for really colored ones. Got tip of using black with bright liners from our friend- G.

Originally Posted by newyorlatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great idea. I'm so lazy but definitely going to up my techniques now that I'm wearing makeup again. Thanks for the idea Your welcome, hope it helps it only adds about 5 seconds to the makeup routine.

I haven't even bothered to try mineral eye shadow as a liner since i don't even like mineral eye shadows. I have yet to come across one that has really good staying power.

Back