Count Me In

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am joining you no-buyers!

here is the thing: I am thinking of doing my internship overseas. It would be unpaid, and around 4 months long. Because it would be full time work I wouldn't be able to earn a living, which means living off my savings.

Which means having savings to live off. So here are my no-buy conditions:

NO new things unless replacing something necessary, used up or broken, with an exception over the period I'm in melbourne next month (2 days).

I can also use the gift vouchers I've received for my birthday.

Any other rules you guys think I should add? maybe it would be easier to have a goal of money to save toward? or is it better to do a particular length: like 6 months or whatever?

I think setting up a strict budget would be good and allow only a certain amount be spent on eating out. entertainment..etc...also setting up a savings goal is great! Just adding up your expenditures for the last month I bet you will be shocked at money you just waste....

save as much money as you can, but definitely keep something for entertainment etc, no need to become a hermit
smile.gif

Good luck! I agree with the advice to set a budget. Sometimes it's easier to not spend at times when you know how much you can spend for certain things.

You know what, my skank (
biggrin.gif
)... I dunno if you guys have saving accounts there, but I'd just put about majority of my money there (besides money to pay bills with). I just don't believe in no-buys. Haha. It's too hard to shake off.

I dunno how much you earn, but about... $50 a month or less to spend on whatever you want. If you're saving up, make sure not to spend much on clothes/shoes either, woman! And limit how much ya spend on outings. Outings is what kills my budgets.

Keep a list of what you spend for a few weeks, then you can see where your money is going, and that will show you where you can save. Also, every night, empty all the change out of your purse. The coins will add up quickly, and if you have to break a note you're less likely to spend.

Good luck!

I find it easier with something to aim towards. I was just doing mine for as long as possible but now I've given myself 3 months for the first target.

Good luck, I think you've set yourself up pretty well. The only thing i would add is don't set yourself up for temptation. Don't go to the department stores and say you're just gonna look. You know you won't lol.

A, that is sooo true... I have one shoe voucher so I only go into that particular shoe store. I won't be window shopping any time soon
biggrin.gif

lol.

I guess it's not so bad right now since I just got given a whole lot of really nice birthday presents!

Ok, is it alright to buy replacements for things even if you can do without? I have perfume that I have run out of but I have other perfumes I could use..

what do you reckon the rules should be there? I'm sensing I'll find loopholes in this whole no buy deal. HELP this is where I need the support!

I have a huge list of 'need' items which I probably don't really 'need' at all! how do I resist temptation?!

here's how i draw the line : perfume-go to sephora and ask for a sample (and play with a few "future haul" items
brsh.gif
-very important, touch, play, sample and write the references of your "future haul" items, lol).

moisturizer-can your face go outside and resist a whole day without moisturizer ? no, so you can replace.

lol. Mags you're too smart
biggrin.gif

I went straight to the bus stop today! it's so hard, because to get there I have to walk through lots of arcades and shops - especially in winter when it's cold outside! but today I went outside and didn't stop
biggrin.gif
so far this week I haven't bought anything other than with gift vouchers I had
yey.gif

When I'm saving money and limiting my spending, I only keep cash with me unless I'm fueling my car. I hate hate hate a thousand times hate using cash, so it is definitely an emergency only option for me.

I don't know if most people prefer one over the other, but that could help you cut back on spending.

Good luck!

thanks! I've been pretty good, I haven't really bought anything unnecessary yet! yay! almost a full month!

Latest posts

Back