Quitting MMU

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess I have to give up on MMU. After trying multiple samples, I feel that MMU is probably not for me
bawling.gif
EDM, lauress, meow, fyrinnae all just clog my pores. Since MMU are supposed to be for acne prone skin, being gentle & pure & all, I was surprised that not one of them worked for me. The only thing that did not cause a breakout was BE but then I hated the shine.

Now my question is what product can I use? I have tried mac, stila, cargo all with poor results..causing breakup or insufficient coverage. Any recommendations on a makeup that I can be sure will not cause breakout? Cost isn't a factor for anymore I guess as I have to wear some makeup because of the serious flaws on my face. Hope someone can help me out here.

Hi savy...

pls dun be discouraged. I was on the verge of giving up too but when I just gave myself a chance to try my last bit of samples from Dreamworld and fyrinnae. I changed my mind totally. Dreamworld, i found a match and it made my face so lovable..creamy and nice. Fyrinnae too made me a happy person. I did break out alot before but now its just minimal and I do watch out for those ingredients that break me out. Sure it was a long process and I was angry and fedup but than I found my fav one in both D and F. Have you tried Cory's, its good on my face and no breakouts but than I cld not get a colour match. I have bod samples from Barekiss minerals and I just love their MM. Its so finely milled and has a nice texture on my face. I also bod the miracle soap from them, it was suppose to be good for skin prob like eczema, acne and psiorasis and its so far good for me and now i use it on my face for clearing the breakouts and some small acnes. seeing good results but just that it can be very drying even though I have got oily skin. I just increase on my moisturiser. Hope you give it another chance though.

Good luck and be not discouraged, I am sure you can find one that you will really fall in love.

Emma

I feel for you, I would be beside myself if I couldn't wear makeup (I also need considerable "concealing"). You need to become a detective of sorts, analyzing the ingredients in the foundations that give you problems and compare them to the ingredients in foundations you can tolerate. Concentrate on the first 3 ingredients listed as they will be in the highest concentration.

From what I've read, titanium dioxide and zinc oxide do not clog pores, but mica can. According to their sites, EDM and Meow's primary ingredient is Mica, Lauress mica is the 2nd ingredient. You mention BE didn't break you out, mica is much further down the ingredient list than the other foundations you mentioned.

Maybe this is something to try - a mica free foundation, or a foundation where mica is at the end of the ingredient list. Foundations will little or no mica are not easy to find but they're out there. I personally have to avoid high concentrations of mica because it causes eyelid dermatitis and gives me an itchy face
frown.gif
. Please don't give up, you'll find the culprit eventually.

Do you use a primer? Primers really seem to help keep stuff from clogging my pores, and it made my MMU look nicer and stay longer.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you use a primer? Primers really seem to help keep stuff from clogging my pores, and it made my MMU look nicer and stay longer. what primer do you use?
don't quitt yet.. please. give it more try..

I didn't fall in love in the first applying. I gave it time to know more and more brands and I spend a lot of monery .. but finaly I know what is my HG.

and like Internetchick, try a primer...

Every form of TiO2 breaks me out - so that crosses most of the MMU out.
scared.gif

Until a I make my own foundation, I'm using just eyeshadows.

Originally Posted by simisimi100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif what primer do you use?
don't quitt yet.. please. give it more try..

I didn't fall in love in the first applying. I gave it time to know more and more brands and I spend a lot of monery .. but finaly I know what is my HG.

and like Internetchick, try a primer...

Monistat Chafing Relief Gel

I break out from foundations that have high concentrations of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They're more opaque and occlusive which clogs my pores. I have no problems with mica.

Thanks all for your replies!! Emma, periwinkle...I have tried cory's once in the past but then I was already having some breakouts from stress & it made it worse. I am sure I still have it somewhere around & will give it another shot.

Simi, internetchick....I do use the rice powder primer from fyrinnae. I have tried BE & monistat cafing gel, but I feel like it makes my face sticky.

I do have some prominent scars & nevi on my face after my pregnancy which look awful without a pretty heavy coverage. The only MMU that gave a great match for my skin & coverage was EDM but since the past week I have noticed my skin feels like sandpaper.

EDM totally messed up my face. Took a long time for the bumps to go away. I can only wear their Original Glo foundation formula. The other 3 were horrible. I just wish I could find the same olive shade that EDM makes in another company's MMU.

I have found that MMU is harder to wash off then normal makeup. It could be that the MMU is causing breakouts because you are not removing it thoroughly and then dirt is getting trapped in your pores causing the breakouts rather then a particular formulation or ingredient. What sort of skin care regimen are you using?

Originally Posted by makeupbabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif What sort of skin care regimen are you using? I use OCM & skinvac cloth to wash off my makeup & then use a toner & oil free moisturiser @ night. I use a neutrogena oil free cleanser in the morning & toner, moisturiser. I am very religious about keeping my face clean as I have acne prone skin. I exfoliate every other day.

Buffing mineral make up a lot can cause the particles to get into your pores, making them harder to wash off. That causes breakouts. So you have to exfoliate often to keep your pores clear. Also, if you use a brand that contains nano particles or micronized particles, they could be causing the breakouts. You should definitely try different formulations (there are many) such as ones without mica and whatnot. Hope that helps a bit!

Oil Cleansing Method(OCM) often starts out great but eventually clogs up the pores causing acne. OCM gave me cystic acne that took two months to clear up.

Hi savy,,,

how are you doing?? Hope all is well for you. How is the MM coming out for you..any changes that you have seen?

Emma

I suggest using BE with an anti-shine silk based product if you liked it.

If you really do want to quit MMU, I'd head on over to Dior. I have had acne prone skin and pretty much avoided using any sort of powder or foundation, but when I had to, dior always looks good in pictures and smoothes out my skin. I think its $40 but they give you a fair amount.

Don't give up yet..I almost did this too coz I breakout and itch with almost all the MMU brand I've tried...I just gave Lauress in Minimalist formulation a last try since this only has 4 or 5 ingredients and according to the site, they made it in "equal" parts to prevent any reaction...i hope i got it right hehe...anyways...aside from Lauress Minimalist, I suggest you contact Ellie of Dreamworld cosmetics...she can formulate a foundation for you..you two can work things out until both of you knows what's causing you the acne so that she can make a foundation to fit your skin and need...good luck!

oh and please don't forget that brushes can also cause bumps...that happened to me too when I still use "cheap" brushes (brushes that are scratchy)..and also if you don't wash your brushes every week...they can cause you pimples coz bacteria can accumulate on the bristles..there's also this chance that your skin don't like the made of your brush...there are some that can't use natural hair bristles and some synthetics...

please do give a feed back...Good luck!
smile.gif

P.S. but if you still decide to give up on MMU, i want to suggest Blemish Balm creams (from Korea like BRTC and Missha brands)...they don't clog pores (they are given by dermas to clients after treatment and the reason why Koreans have great skin), lightens up scars and gives you coverage and protection (spf) at the same time..it's like a skin care and makeup in one! plus there a lot of formulations in the market now that can address your problems like sunscreen, anti aging, etc...just do a research on the net on what brands have good feedback and you can avail
smile.gif

Hey Crystal, I just bought this bb cream from missha. I have used it for just 2 days & let's see how it goes.

Also regarding mmu, I had to stop for now as I started getting bumps around my eyes, on my nose & cheeks even from the bare minerals. I was using their concealer, bare radiance & blush. No foundation. Was just trying to conceal problem areas for now but seems to have backfired. I guess my skin is reacting weirdly to mmu...never had such a reaction with BE.

As for regular makeup, I just found this revlon custom creations & it is working gr8 so far. I was really surprised as I just bought it as I badly needed a foundation for a meeting & it felt gr8[tho' I probably need a little more coverage] But no breakouts so far. thank god!! But am really struggling with contouring my face with all this weird bumps on my face, specially undereye where the concealer was used. So right now it's just revlon foundation with some translucent powder & the blemish balm. I don't want to try too much now as I need to get my skin to some state of health. Thanks everyone for your advise & support!!

Back