What do you do...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
to stop you from buying makeup? I've always been an impulse buyer. If I really want something, it stays on my mind until I finally just buy it. This is bad when you're on a no buy. I'm terrible with money (hence me needing to pay off my credit card), but I'm responsible when it comes to paying my debts. I think when I get married, I'll just let my husband have total control of the money and give me a monthly allowance.
tongue.gif
Anyways, my debt isn't much. I owe on one credit card and I have a small student loan. I really want to at least get this credit card paid off. This has been difficult for me because I've just recently become addicted to makeup, and I want everything.

I've been coming on here and reading reviews and information on upcoming products. I've been watching youtube videos on products. I go to sites like Sephora to see what they have. This does not help at all. I'm thinking that it'll probably be a good idea for me to stop going and looking at things that tempt me. However, I really also like to read and watch videos on how to do certain things that I don't know about (which is a lot), since I just started and all. Anyways, what do you guys do to avoid temptation?

I am not the one to ask LOL! I just bought some stuff at MAC on Friday, and I am on a no buy.
biggrin.gif
I do find it helps to go with someone who knows you shouldn't spend. Also, it's kind of fun to think of new combos for what you already have. The more I keep using what I have, the less I feel like I need anything else.

Yeah, everyone thinks I'm crazy for buying so much makeup. Especially my bf. We play a video game called Super Smash Brothers for the Wii (I'm a geek that loves makeup), and you can have text comments come up to taunt the other players. One of his taunts is "Quit buying makeups!". I thought it was cute, but it was very true. I think I just need to learn some self control. I really like reading MuT and watching my youtube videos, so I'm not going to stop. The sooner I get this credit card paid off, the sooner I get to make guilt free makeup purchases.
smile.gif

Soon, well soon meaning after Christmas, I will be on a no-buy.

My best bet is to just stay away from all those denizens of sin, aka Sephora, Ulta, Nordstroms Beauty Counters, any drugstore, all Targets.... so basically, I have to just stay away from all stores

lol.

Here is what I have done recently to stop myself:

A. make a budget. Previously I'd just spend until there was no money left. This sucks if you are paid monthly like I am.

B. Anything you can pay in advance as soon as you get paid - do so. So, if you know you always go out to dinner on a saturday, put aside X amount for each week and keep it in an envelope until it's time to spend it. I do this with bus tickets, phone credit, my starbucks card and long-standing weekly 'dates' with my friends.

C. Only keep notes in your wallet. You will be less likely to spend them! If you do spend, remove any coins from your wallet and put them in a bucket, piggy bank or whatever when you get home. They will soon add up to a couple of hundred dollars!

D. Give yourself a goal. Mine is - I want to go overseas next year for my internship. It will be 3-4 months of unpaid, full time employment. I need savings to do this, therefore, I must make some before then! LOL.

E. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by my friends who are VERY savings conscious. They've really helped me and I realise I was ashamed of what I'd achieved. One friend has been working full time for 4 years and has $40 000. Meanwhile, I've been working part time/casually for even LONGER and I have NO savings from my work! I was really ashamed when I learnt that and it encourages to keep me on track. If she can do so well, so can I - she's an amazing inspiration.

D. This same friend said her rule is to spend half, save half. Obviously, some of the time I've been working I might only be earning $100 a week! (stupid casual employment!) but when you're working full time, or even part-time several days a week like I am now - it's possible to only spend half of your wage.

So there you go! Rosie's savings tips
biggrin.gif
I hope these help - people save in lots of different ways but these are what I've found to work best for me. Good luck with your savings!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely need to start saving money. First thing first, getting this card paid off then start saving. No more online window shopping either for me.
tongue.gif

Everyone gave great tips!

I would also add: Try to rediscover your current makeup stash! Try using things you loved before but have forgotten about. When you see a new collection, try to find dupes within your stash.

And post in this forum for support!

Good luck!

i give my self an allowance from work of about 25 dollars a week.

this is for anything outside my normal budgeted food, toilitries and such.

so if i want/ think i need something more than 25 i have to wait several weeks to get it till my allowance slowly adds up to that ammount

Hi all

I am also impulse buyer; I am crazy for cloths and makeup. I can not wait if I really liked item, and I go on buying and it all disturb my budget.  Thanks for all your tips.

I liked the tip is “spend half, save halfâ€. Really it can work for me. It really needed for me.  I can try to apply it.

I am buy some makeup oftenly. some times i make huge shopping that is bad and wastage of money and time.

Originally Posted by ninalovesmakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to stop you from buying makeup? I've always been an impulse buyer. If I really want something, it stays on my mind until I finally just buy it. This is bad when you're on a no buy. I'm terrible with money (hence me needing to pay off my credit card), but I'm responsible when it comes to paying my debts. I think when I get married, I'll just let my husband have total control of the money and give me a monthly allowance.
tongue.gif
Anyways, my debt isn't much. I owe on one credit card and I have a small student loan. I really want to at least get this credit card paid off. This has been difficult for me because I've just recently become addicted to makeup, and I want everything.

I've been coming on here and reading reviews and information on upcoming products. I've been watching youtube videos on products. I go to sites like Sephora to see what they have. This does not help at all. I'm thinking that it'll probably be a good idea for me to stop going and looking at things that tempt me. However, I really also like to read and watch videos on how to do certain things that I don't know about (which is a lot), since I just started and all. Anyways, what do you guys do to avoid temptation?
Hi ninalovesmakeup! I also have the same views but I have the knowledge about "fragranceparadise" which assistsDiscount Perfumes, Mens Perfumes, Buy perfume online, Fragrance online,Womens Perfumes, Celebrity Perfume, Buy Cheap Perfumes Online. I think that is the best way.

Go through my stash, and check FOTD board(s) to find looks that use the product, and try to mimic it. Concentrate on clothes or shoes. Instead of visiting Sephora.com, temptalia, and such, I look at the catalogues from my favourite stores. When I see all the pretty clothes, my attention is at least, temporarily diverted. The fact that some brands sell/display makeup collections (UO, H&M) is not much help...

I think of how much it would take to afford something more. Like, lipstick from Lancome is $27. Four of those is well over $100 with taxes. The $50 I spend at a drugstore tacks onto that, and then the face products I'm buying, etc, until that could've been a month's rent.

At my current job, I get paid cash, so I take an allowance out and put the rest in the bank. In the summer, when I work 4-6 days a week, I never use my bank card. And avoid credit. That's for spending in general- just avoidavoidavoid credit.

I find its the "deal" that kills me and lately I have wanted to save for some trips to so  I have the bank automatically withdraw x amount and put it in a savings account so I don't even know I had it in the first place, it's working thus far :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back