Cannabis being used to improve skin care

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stumbled on this and thought it a bit strange. it was in a cosmetics trade journal web site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human cannabis could improve skin care

By Guy Montague-Jones

08-Jul-2008 - New research into the skincare role of cannabis-like substances suggests the belief that marijuana cleans the body and mind may be more than just a pipe dream.

Taking a leaf out of the Rastafarian book, scientists have suggested that cannabis-like substances may hold the key to healthy skin.

Researchers from Hungry, Germany and the UK say the human body produces compounds that resemble the active ingreident in marijuana, THC.

Body produces cannabinoids for protection

Not only are they similar but they also play an important role in the maintenance of good looking skin.

"Just as THC is believed to protect the marijuana plant from pathogens, our own cannabinoids may be necessary for us to maintain healthy skin," said researcher Gerald Weissmann.

The study into the properties of "endocannabinoids" will be published in the October issue of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASB) journal.

Endocannabinoids regulate lipid production

The team of scientists said "endocannabinoids" are important in regulating lipid production and may therefore be useful in the management of problems such as acne and dry skin that are associated with sebaceous gland dysfunction.

They hailed the paper as the first evidence that human sebocytes use an endogenous cannabinoid signaling system for the control of lipid production and death.

"Our preclinical data encourage one to explore whether endocannabinoid system-acting agents can be exploited in the management of common skin disorders," said Tamás Biró, a senior scientist involved in the research. "It is also suggested that these agents can be efficiently applied locally to the skin in the form of a cream."

Cannabis has already made its mark in the cosmetics industry especially as the natural and organic markets light up.

Oil derived from the hemp plant is increasingly being used for its moisturizing properties in creams, cosmetics and deodorants.

Big natural players such as Burt's Bees in the US and Neal's Yard Remedies in the UK have both launched products containing hemp seed oil over the past year.

Well...it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. I will sacrifice myself and let you girls know how good THC is for the skin.
biggrin.gif

hahahaha

that's interesting. there's even hemp flour (nope, i haven't smoke ! lol) that makes your cakes go green, but doesn't contain all the nasty effects of cannabis
smokin.gif

those products are pretty rare to find here.

LOL Is that why my skin isn't breaking out anymore?

I know hemp oil is great for you though, I have body butters, hair products, and thats their main ingrediant, and they are awesome.

very interesting article. thanks darla! i know that hemp products have been popular for some time. i used to carry a line of hemp products for men. it actually did very well.

So........ smoking marijuana is good for your skin?

aha. that's so weird....

Originally Posted by b3rly /img/forum/go_quote.gif So........ smoking marijuana is good for your skin?aha. that's so weird....

i dunno about that. i always heard smoke of any kind is damaging to skin because the particles block pores. It's just the active ingredient that may be helpful. Remains to be seen.

Hahaha. Come to think of it I did have great skin in college!! At least I think I did.. From what I can remember!!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif i dunno about that. i always heard smoke of any kind is damaging to skin because the particles block pores. It's just the active ingredient that may be helpful. Remains to be seen. yes i think it's the active ingredient, let's not forget smoking means also all the "non desirable" (because if you smoke i assume you're looking for them) effects.

lol this isn't new, it has great affects applied TOPICALLY, doesn't do the same if you are taking it internally
wink.gif

Originally Posted by sooperficial /img/forum/go_quote.gif I welcome all the effects
biggrin.gif
LOL you make me crack up!!

Originally Posted by sooperficial /img/forum/go_quote.gif I welcome all the effects
biggrin.gif
methinks you like this thread a lot

LOL what an interesting read! I recently read an article about how a woman who literally is prescribed a dosage of marijuana because it is the only thing that calms her lol.

It is possible, i don't remember how it works, but if i understand it correctly it can act the same way morphine does in our body.

Latest posts

Back