Sign in to follow this  
Darla

Cannabis being used to improve skin care

I stumbled on this and thought it a bit strange. it was in a cosmetics trade journal web site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human cannabis could improve skin care

By Guy Montague-Jones

08-Jul-2008 - New research into the skincare role of cannabis-like substances suggests the belief that marijuana cleans the body and mind may be more than just a pipe dream.

Taking a leaf out of the Rastafarian book, scientists have suggested that cannabis-like substances may hold the key to healthy skin.

Researchers from Hungry, Germany and the UK say the human body produces compounds that resemble the active ingreident in marijuana, THC.

Body produces cannabinoids for protection

Not only are they similar but they also play an important role in the maintenance of good looking skin.

"Just as THC is believed to protect the marijuana plant from pathogens, our own cannabinoids may be necessary for us to maintain healthy skin," said researcher Gerald Weissmann.

The study into the properties of "endocannabinoids" will be published in the October issue of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASB) journal.

Endocannabinoids regulate lipid production

The team of scientists said "endocannabinoids" are important in regulating lipid production and may therefore be useful in the management of problems such as acne and dry skin that are associated with sebaceous gland dysfunction.

They hailed the paper as the first evidence that human sebocytes use an endogenous cannabinoid signaling system for the control of lipid production and death.

"Our preclinical data encourage one to explore whether endocannabinoid system-acting agents can be exploited in the management of common skin disorders," said Tamás Biró, a senior scientist involved in the research. "It is also suggested that these agents can be efficiently applied locally to the skin in the form of a cream."

Cannabis has already made its mark in the cosmetics industry especially as the natural and organic markets light up.

Oil derived from the hemp plant is increasingly being used for its moisturizing properties in creams, cosmetics and deodorants.

Big natural players such as Burt's Bees in the US and Neal's Yard Remedies in the UK have both launched products containing hemp seed oil over the past year.

Well...it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. I will sacrifice myself and let you girls know how good THC is for the skin. biggrin.gif

hahahaha

that's interesting. there's even hemp flour (nope, i haven't smoke ! lol) that makes your cakes go green, but doesn't contain all the nasty effects of cannabissmokin.gif

those products are pretty rare to find here.

LOL Is that why my skin isn't breaking out anymore?

I know hemp oil is great for you though, I have body butters, hair products, and thats their main ingrediant, and they are awesome.

very interesting article. thanks darla! i know that hemp products have been popular for some time. i used to carry a line of hemp products for men. it actually did very well.

Originally Posted by b3rly View Post
So........ smoking marijuana is good for your skin?

aha. that's so weird....

i dunno about that. i always heard smoke of any kind is damaging to skin because the particles block pores. It's just the active ingredient that may be helpful. Remains to be seen.

Hahaha. Come to think of it I did have great skin in college!! At least I think I did.. From what I can remember!! biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Darla_G View Post
i dunno about that. i always heard smoke of any kind is damaging to skin because the particles block pores. It's just the active ingredient that may be helpful. Remains to be seen.
yes i think it's the active ingredient, let's not forget smoking means also all the "non desirable" (because if you smoke i assume you're looking for them) effects.

lol this isn't new, it has great affects applied TOPICALLY, doesn't do the same if you are taking it internally wink.gif

Originally Posted by sooperficial View Post
I welcome all the effects biggrin.gif
methinks you like this thread a lot

LOL what an interesting read! I recently read an article about how a woman who literally is prescribed a dosage of marijuana because it is the only thing that calms her lol.

It is possible, i don't remember how it works, but if i understand it correctly it can act the same way morphine does in our body.

Don't even get me started on the medicinal usage of marijuana. As far as skin care goes, it helps with wrinkles! Because if you take a toke every now and then, you won't scowl your forehead because you'll be so relaxed! lol J/K rofl.gif

• Like 1

Originally Posted by sooperficial View Post
I welcome all the effects biggrin.gif

five.gif

I can tell ya smoking some gets rids of my aches and pains, and I haven't found a better painkiller if I have a toothache.

As an active ingrediant in creams and hair products, it has always given me great results, like I mentioned before.

But hanging out in a small smoky room or car, especially day after day, causes breakouts for me. Avoid that smile.gif

In fact avoid smoking if you can, nasty habit frown.gif Smoke does clog pores and causes your skin to lose elasticity (collagen) faster.

Whole world is talking about benefits of cannabis oil today, but I never knew it can be used in cosmetology. Just wondering how it can be applied at home? By adding few drops into the cream for example? Because this is an essential oil, not basic one, overdose can do harm to the skin.

Interesting. They have found that our bodies produce a substance similar to THC, especially during childbirth. Since marijuana can cause short-term memory loss, and during childbirth is when you'd want some of that.

I keep hemp oil for my dog's skin and sometimes I make myself a scrub out of it sugar or salt. Whatever I have on hand.