No-Buy Check In for August

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it might be nice to have a once a month ish thread asking how everyone is going with their no-buys.

You could list any temptations that might be coming up next month, and also ask other members to pm you around these times if you're worried you'll break your no-buy!

SO. HOw is august shaping up for you guys?

it should be a good month for me actually, I should get my tax return money back, which means it's a great month for savings.

That's about it for me
smile.gif
your turn!

Hopefully my August will be a good month. I'm going to go looking for jobs hardcore on Monday. The faster my credit debt is paid off, the faster I can get off this no buy. In like the next couple of hours, I will hit 24 hours without buying makeup (sad I know). I think staying up late, and I "window" shop on online sites makes it really hard for me to just say no. However, I'm looking at things that I might want to try and thinking that I could probably find a good dupe of it in my collection, so I'm going to try and use up the stuff that I actually purchases. I'd like to say I've used up something!
tongue.gif

Im trying really hard but i keep buying small things here and there but im really slowing down! I keep my traincase open so i can see what i have and try to "shop" in my stash! I think August will be better.

I hope August will be better than July. I broke my no buy several times.
redface.gif
I am getting to a point where I am starting feel like my collection is enough, so I think it will be much easier. The only thing right now that I lack but really want is an eye shadow primer. If there is a BOGO I know I will cave and get De-Crease. Other than that, I should be able to resist.

well. i caved. i ordered hot contrast. first time since december. i also ordered...i'm not sure what blush and brush cleaner CAUSE I NEEDED IT and eyeliner CAUSE I NEEDED IT. other than that i've been doing fab. my motiviation is that i'm really NEVER going to use it all. and thats a waste of money. so yea. the first month was hard. but its easier. especially now that i have eye issues (its a long story!!) and wont be able to wear anything untill september at the earliest...

let's see, i was tempted by that Guerlain terracotta gloss (i wrote the actual references somewhere), because it's gorgeous, there's that shiny pink lipstick i spotted today at sephora, but i resisted
smile.gif

i broke my no buy just to get a new pumice stone at Muji. because really if you saw my feet, you would buy me one immediately !

I just broke my no buy by accident... I ordered some freebies online but you have to pay for shipping

I broke my limited-buy a while back, when I bought the HIP Jelly Balm, but then I realized I don't like it and I never touch it, so I haven't been tempted my drugstore MU since then!

I broke my no buy for the millionth time after I posted.
frown.gif
I've banned myself from going to any cosmetic shopping sites. I tried to ban myself from this site until my no buy was over, but I was thinking that this site doesn't tempt me that much. It's going and seeing products online and then just quickly purchasing them. It has been 12 hours and 40 minutes since I last bought something.
tongue.gif

LOL NinaLM, you are the worst!

I kind of spent more than I wanted to today - I was supposed to have a work course all day, and my boss would pay for lunch, but we finished early so I had to buy my own lunch, AND, I had to find something to do for the afternoon. But dinner, which I already budget for, was cheaper than expected, so I'm up. BUT, since this month (July) had more weeks than expected, I'm down on coffee money for this week.

wow it sounds so complex when I write it down.

My husband and I purchased a house, a bedroom suite, and a refrigerator this month so we're trying to cut down on unnecessary spending. It hasn't been too hard because we're hoping to buy some dining room furniture, living room furniture, and of course my vanity and it's always easier to save for things I want because I have a goal in mind.

I've only given in three times since May! I purchased some Bare Essentials to wear over my foundation because it looks SO much better than loose powder and really helps to control my oil; I purchased a twenty dollar electric nail file/buff/shine kit because I seriously needed a mani-pedi (with all the painting and unpacking I've been doing) but I got it for the cost of one professional pedicure and now my at-home mani-pedi will be much quicker and more professional looking; and, finally, I purchased twelve pairs of shoes, two lace camis, and a hoodie...they were having an amazing sale at work (50% off with 75% off that plus 20% off if you used your store credit card plus an extra 20% employee coupon plus my 20% off discount!!) and I purchased $1500 work of shoes for only $76!
smile.gif
So I don't feel bad at all.

There has been a lot of stuff that I've haven't bought (the Aureline Eight Blush palette in particular) but one of the NARS reps gave me a huge bundle of goodies in early June and my CHANEL gratis came in this month so it's been substantially easier.

I'll post pics of everything soon. I just need to find my camera battery first.
smile.gif

i think i did better in july than i thought i would. i haven't bought a pair of shoes in about 2-3 weeks. that's pretty good for me. i'm keeping hope alive for august. if i can get through from now to the 10th or so, i should be ok.

I am doing good, but that's because school is upon us. I have 3 kids plus my niece who is living with us, so it gets up there. $$$ We're just about done with clothes, but there is still school supplies to get.
frown.gif

I think I need to stop buying...sob...this forum does not tempt me but when I go to the MM website the temptation gets harder. I realllyyyyyyyyy need to stop, just today I ordered from EDM which I was trying for the last few times but it failed, today it went through. I told myself I gotta stop and clear my bills first. It seems hard but guess got to do it...saw this thread for the 1st time today and getting the encouragement from here hope it will see me through.

How is everyone doing with their no buys? I started over again for the millionth time today. It's going good. I actually don't have any urge to buy anything (right now). I went to visit a CCO today (bad for someone on a no buy). However, I didn't buy anything. Nothing really caught my eye. I also visited an online site and was planning to buy some NYX stuff but decided that I didn't need anything. I have A LOT of stuff that I've bought this past month, and I need to play with it and use some of it up. No more visiting makeup stores or sites for me. It's unnecessary temptation.
smile.gif

I broke down and bought the Jane gel eyeliner and my reasoning is because i finished my mac blacktrack fluidline so atleast I was replacing something. I also bought a Lancome gift set BUT it was a giftcard purchase. lol Anyway im trying to go on a no buy until my bday on Sept 7th!!

good going ladies! you can do it! I haven't bought makeup for ages! I'm proud of myself. In fact, no shoes, or clothes for at least a month...

No more blushers for me for at least the next two months..

just bought 9 blushers from sonic chic n i'm dead broke. (i have 80 blushers in total currently >.<)

I seriously think I have an addiction. I made it one whole day without buying anything, but then I bought something today. Makeup is a bad obsession to have. No matter how much you buy, there's always something to want. Anyways, I'm done for a long time now. I really really need to use up what I have. It's so hard to stop buying though, especially with MAC putting out a new collection every freaking week!
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Back