HELP! Need to decide on one of these brush sets by tomorrow!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Should I get the Trish McEvoy Brush Set:

_5630366.jpg

Which includes her Face Blending Brush, All Over Eye Brush, Tapered Blending Brush, Angled Eyelining Brush and Silver Covered Lip Brush.

For 58.00 USD

OR

This MAC Brush Set

_5654663.jpg

Which includes the brushes: 168 (large angled contour brush),187 (Duo Fibre Brush),212 (Flat Definer),219 (pencil brush) and 275 (Medium angled shading brush).

For 50.00 USD

I'm incredibly torn between both! I'm leaning towards MAC just because I know much more about their brushes from how popular it is in MU but I've heard that Trish McEvoy brushes are incredible as well! Does anyone know anymore about them?

That is a tough choice! I have no idea which one you should get. If it were me I would pick MAC, simply because I think I would use those shape of brushes more.

TRISH! TRISH! TRISH!

You will forever wonder what your life was like before owning her angled eye-lining brush! I can't live without mine!!! The all-over eye color brush and the blending brush are some of the best I have ever worked with - even better than MAC. And I have worked with those too.

The only one from the MAC set I really love is the 219 brush. But you can get that one for $23 bucks if you decide you like it. In my (very humble) opinion Trish McEvoy brushes are MUCH better quality, and they don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

I own 275 and that other skinny brush w/the white tip from MAC...not too fond of them.

The McEvoy ones have a good shape and look like they'd work better...but that's just what I think.

*edit* the skinny one w/the white tip is 219 LoL...everyone likes it I guess but I dunno if you were to buy a definer brush by MAC I'd go w/316 it works waaay better and you get better control.

I'm not sure about the quality of the Trish brushes. Are they as nice as the regular ones?

I really like the MAC 187 and 219, but when I saw this brush set at Nordstrom, I felt that the 187SE from this brush set sucked compared to the 187SE brushes from past collections. MAC SE brushes are not as great as their regular counterparts and they're not hand made.

they both look good. I would feel both of them and make my choice based on which ones felt better value. Does that make sense? sometimes pictures can be misleading about the quality of a brush
smile.gif

in terms of practicality (for me that is) i'd choose the MAC because it has both a blush brush (i can't do blush without an angled or duo fiber brush) AND a powder brush (the duo fiber is a multi-tasker. but I've heard that the SE edition of the MAC brushes aren't as soft and well-made as their full size counterparts.

So go for the Trish. the kit is slightly more expensive but you get get a set for the entire face and it's more likely to be higher quality than the MAC.

lol the ordering of them has been pushed back by a few days now coz our family friends are going back today as they had initially planned too =P Go figure..I wish I could feel the brushes but as I'm ordering them online and thru friends I wont be able to! =(

Thank you so much for this =) I didnt realise you could just walk up to the counter and look at the sets, I thot they had to be ordered online! Did you by any chance see the eyeshadow palettes as well? I was wondering wat the colours were like on them xx

Originally Posted by evening_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif TRISH! TRISH! TRISH!
You will forever wonder what your life was like before owning her angled eye-lining brush! I can't live without mine!!! The all-over eye color brush and the blending brush are some of the best I have ever worked with - even better than MAC. And I have worked with those too.

The only one from the MAC set I really love is the 219 brush. But you can get that one for $23 bucks if you decide you like it. In my (very humble) opinion Trish McEvoy brushes are MUCH better quality, and they don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

lol all the comments I've gotten back agree with you =) Trish it is! I tried to access the Trish website to find out a lil more about what each of her brushes were made for etc. Is the Face Blending brush a good one for applying blush with? Or would I be better off ordering a NARs, Laura Mercier or Shu Uemura one like you recommended earlier? =) Thanks so much for all ur help!

I would choose MAC, because those specific brushes are very specific and hard to duplicate. I've never tried the Trish brushes, though

I would pick based on the need and quality of the brushes.

I like Trish's cuz it has 4 basic brushes *and* a blending brush, which is sometimes a pain to get in a set.

The MAC one is cool too...

Back