No Buy here I come!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been trying to get ahold of my finances for awhile. I haven't put a lot on my credit card in the past month like I have over the past few years, but I still am falling into the trap! My problem was credit card accessibility. It's about to go into my freezer! I know if I have to use my debit, I'm MUCH LESS likely to spend money, as I've got oodles of bills to pay.

Also, I used to be a huge makeup collector, but before I moved 6 months ago, I pared everything down that could fit in my train case. And I haven't bought anything else (save for replacement of mascara), so that's good. My pitfall is SKINCARE!!!! I get bored with something, or I read a review and I start to research it, before I know it, I'm hitting the checkout button and ordering!

I've already switched over my paypal to my banking account and will be deleting my credit card number off of websites like Sephora and Skinstore. I'm currently about to start a new, less expensive routine and I'll only allow myself to buy stuff in sample size in order to tweak the routine until I find what works for me. ONLY THEN can I purchase full size products. And I have to stick to this routine and not get bored, or read a stellar review and start over. I need to be held to this!

So my rules:

*Tweak my new routine with sample sizes only, until I find what works for me.

*STICK TO THIS ROUTINE!

*Replace normal staples like mascara

*Use up or get rid of stuff I haven't used! (I have hoarder disorder when it comes to body lotions and sprays)

I'll be adding more rules as they come up.

I love this idea! Group support!

I've been inspired by reading everyone's post...I'm officially going to ban use of my credit card until my birthday (except for emergencies...skincare doesn't count!) After I get my routine squared away, I'll be on a No Buy pledge for at least a year!

Good luck! What's your skincare routine now? I know no buys are hard. I just ended a 3 month one and I'm about to start another!

I'm trying to use up what I have...I've given up on trying to use everything up. I need to just pitch it, or put it up for swap or something.

I'm going to be using up my Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil and Depsea Water, as well as my Garnier Cleanser. I just ordered some stuff from Garden of Wisdom, which are effective and less expensive products that many have had great success with. I'm learning that I'm overdoing it in many ways...too dry and I break out...too much moisture and I break out. AH!

Many of the problems I'm dealing with now with my skin are due in part to the weather. We're in monsoons right now and it's hot and muggy! Most of the year is quite dry and not at all humid.

I plan on finding a routine that fits my skin and making myself stick to it. I find stuff that works, no doubt...over the past three years I've found LOTS but I'm always purchasing new stuff, like it's a habit.

With a forum like this though...and support...I think I can do it, especially if I have to be held accountable!

Which brings me to another rule: If I buy something I HAVE to post that I bought it!

Good luck with your no buy! I'm currently on one with no luck. I started over today though. I had some temptations, but I've turned them down. If you do a lot of online shopping, my best advice is to avoid those sites. I'm like queen of buying stuff online and if something catches my eye, I order it because it's so simple. I've learned that I definitely need to stay away from shopping sites. I visited one day and came close to ordering, but I didn't. Anyways, stay strong and good luck!
smile.gif

Good luck on your no-buy! I am on one too...not knowing that I was "officially" on a no-buy until I noticed I really have been trying not to buy anything for about 2 weeks now and so far so good. I agree with Nina that if you do a lot of online shopping to try to avoid the sites you like. Unfortunately it doesn't work (at least for me) to "just browse"...LOL. Next thing I know I'm making a mental list of what I "need".
smile.gif
Let us know how your no-buy goes!
smile.gif

Thanks for all the support! We'll see how it goes...good luck to you all too with your No-Buys as well!

I just have to stay away from product reviews...THAT is what gets me...raves for new products that are supposed to address some problem that I have...

I'm a sucker for a fantastic review!!!

^^ I know! Me too. And if it's limited edition, well then there goes my self control lol.

Good luck! Sounds like you've already thought of great steps! Keep us updated!

Latest posts

Back