Where do big makeup companies get their minerals ingredients from?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that big (and not so big, like Everyday Minerals) companies probably don't mine their own minerals. So that leads me to wonder, where do these makeup companies get the minerals from? Who supplies makeup companies with the mineral ingredients for their makeup?

I have searched for "cosmetic grade mineral suppliers," but nothing comes up but the same shifty looking "Mineral Wholesaler's".

I know that some of the less professional looking brands of mineral makeup offered on the web probably do use these "Wholesale" mineral suppliers. But I very seriously doubt that Everyday Minerals, BareMinerals, or any other serious companies purchase their minerals from these few Mineral wholesale websites.

But it is like a big mystery. I can't really find any information on this subject.

What up with that?

Does anyone know what to look for?

I don't know if I am using the right terms or names for the minerals.

I don't know why, but this is really bugging me!

I need to know where they get the minerals!!!!

It is driving my crazy!!!!!

Are you curious about their source, or are you interested in making your own minerals?

What do you mean by making my own minerals? Do you mean making my own mineral makeup?

I am very curious about makeup companies sources of minerals. I don't like that it is such a mystery.

But I do have to admit that I would like to make my own mineral makeup.

That would be awesome!

But I am worried about the quality of the minerals in mineral makeup as well. I would like to know what country the mineral ingredients come from, and what the standards are for minerals from different companies. Does that make any sense? I am a little tired. Sorry.

Even if the products say they are made in USA the ingredients are mostly imported, oxides come from China. Hong Kong, India, Taiwan etc. also export ingredients used in make-up.

Let me add something else few people realize. When cosmetic/beauty companies boast that their products are not tested on animals it's because all of the ingredients they use have already been tested and approved for use.

try TKB trading, they sell raw materials and host courses to make your own makeup. google that

There are sources of oxides that right here in the USA, and not tested on animals. Large Corporations such as Hoffman La Roche, BASF and other GLOBAL Corporations have divisions which sell the raw materials to other LARGE and accredited Corporations there is no literature or information on the internet about it. What the internet will provide is the same little wholesalers you have already found. I hope this gives you a little more peace of mind to a degree. I would research the companies as best as possible or call them to see where their ingredients come from I would always stay away from pigments and cosmetic products that contain ingredients from China or made in China the quality is not good and reports of high lead and problems have been found.

I think most companies would consider it a "trade secret" and you'll not be able to find out easily.

I doubt you will find the information because 1 they are large companies BE, Jane Iredale so on, so their information is a trade secret. I think EDM also have a place that makes their minerals for them, not sure don't quote me. I am sure maybe they buy from all the large raw material suppliers BASF, DuPont, Rona, and they are many more. Do they buy from out of this country who knows. They all probably do have their own manufacturing facilities to make their products and keep conrol over their own items. So you will not find their facilities listed like you did for wholesale mineral make up. You may never get your answer as to where they buy and what country the materials are from.

Kathy

A trade secret?

I thought that was just a saying, and not an actual thing.

You mean companies can actually keep things like that a secret?

That sucks!

Something about that doesn't seem right to me.

It just doesn't seem fair in a way.

And the China thing is one of my biggest concerns.

I started to worry about products that have been manufactured in China after hearing all that scary stuff about lead in products like toothpaste and toys that had been produced there.

I am not very skilled at finding information, so I have a hard time finding answers to my questions.

I can kind of figure out some things, like the NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS thing, with deductive reasoning.

I am sure that it is very important to some cosmetics companies that products are not tested on animals. But, I figure that some companies don't really care, but want to make that claim on their merchandise because it is appealing to a lot of consumers.

I think Merck do massive manufacturing of pigments and stuff like Ronasphere minerals.

I often wonder about the source and how it contributes to breakouts and allergic reactions.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Oh, and I would like to thank Bee Lucious for her helpful comments.

What you wrote actually helped me understand this whole thing a little better.

I looked up the BASF and kind of got an idea how this sort of thing works.

It all looks very intimidating and esoteric. I know I don't exactly understand it totally yet, but at least I kind of have a starting point.

I will look up the other companies mentioned as well.

Thanks.

Besides the source of the raw materials, I also wonder how the colorful mica are made? Are they all natural or are they colored by dye? Because some mica are so colorful and beautiful that I can't image they are natural.

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you to everyone for your comments.
Oh, and I would like to thank Bee Lucious for her helpful comments.

What you wrote actually helped me understand this whole thing a little better.

I looked up the BASF and kind of got an idea how this sort of thing works.

It all looks very intimidating and esoteric. I know I don't exactly understand it totally yet, but at least I kind of have a starting point.

I will look up the other companies mentioned as well.

Thanks.

It is our great pleasure I am glad I was able to shed some light. Never be intimidated by the "looks" you have a right to know atleast if the raw materials come from CHINA another country or the USA. If there is anything we can ever be of assistance let us know it is our pleasure.

smile, I believe I read that the micas and iron oxides are colored by chemical reaction with other elements (minerals) in a controlled atmosphere. Which made total sense to me - I was a chem major back in college, and there are a LOT of things you can react with iron and silica, and they make all sorts of entertaining colors at every step of the process!

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif smile, I believe I read that the micas and iron oxides are colored by chemical reaction with other elements (minerals) in a controlled atmosphere. Which made total sense to me - I was a chem major back in college, and there are a LOT of things you can react with iron and silica, and they make all sorts of entertaining colors at every step of the process! Stellaria:
Thanks for answering, that really helps! However, the thing is that MMU is totally new to my country , the only MMU we have is drug store brand and limited to foundation . I have wrote some articles about MMU in my blog, trying to introduce MMU to my country, however, an cosmetic expert in my country claimed that all MMU should be earthy color since they come from minerals. So I need more evidence to convince her. Could you help me to find out the article you read ? Thanks!!

smile, perhaps if you just remind the expert that for some weird reason common clay is blue
smile.gif
, and also how does she explain other colored minerals like rubys, amethysts, sapphires etc?

Back