Buyer's Guilt/Rant

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After re-reading my original post a few times I've decided it's entirely to whiny.
tongue.gif

So the new version is:

I bought a 1500$ camera because photography is what I want to do with my life and I feel guilty about it even though I work really hard and never get myself anything.

The end
smile.gif

There, that's much better
biggrin.gif
Oh and thanks for the helpful/encouraging responses
smile.gif
<3

Don't feel guilty about buying things!

The way I see it, a life limited to only buying bare necessities is a boring one. You can still save a little and indulge yourself as well. Just make sure you have the means to pay off your credit card bill every month.

If you don't, try to save up for things instead of making impulse buys. That way, you can remind yourself that you worked hard for the item, you saved for it, it gives you extra time to think about whether you really want it or not, and since you saved up for it, it's not dipping into other funds.

And I think being able to buy your dream camera is an accomplishment! It's your reward for working so hard.

As long as you have money for everything you need, you shouldn't feel bad about splurging once in awhile. If you were doing this every day there would be a problem. Honestly, everyone is worthwhile enough to splurge on themselves every so often. It doesn't have to be a big purchase, just whatever you can afford. Also, maybe it's time to find a different job? People spend a lot of time at work so it should be something that you don't mind doing.

That was the thing at was just eating at me . . . we don't have a whole lot of money but if I had to wait until everything else was paid off so I could save to get it first . . . Well lets just say it would take a while. And it was just driving me nuts thinking that the money I was working so hard for had to pay off all these other things before it was MY turn. How come the splurge priority always goes to my husband I guess is how I felt?

Anyway, he turned out to be awesomely supportive about it but I still feel bad
frown.gif

ETA: As for finding a job I love, that's partly why I got my camera. I found out just the other day that Wal-Mart is hiring a photographer for their studio, paying their training and eventually giving them a Photography Certificate. So if I were to get this job I would get my photography education without having to go to college, which I can't afford right now. Plus I would be doing something I love!!

I'm not counting on getting this position but the same company that does the wal mart studios do Sears as well, and I'm hoping that if I take some time to work on a portfolio, brush up on my skills and prepare myself, I can snag one of those positions !

I am sorry that you are feeling this way. Perhaps going to talk to someone would help. Maybe get to the root of the problem. Does your employer offer like an Employer Assisted Program? I know that mine does and it is a free service where you can see a counselor for whatever you need it for -- financial, emotional, etc. And your work doesn't find out about it. It is completely confidential.

Your husband sounds amazing. If I recall, didn't he buy you a camera last year too? What a great guy!

Good luck to you.

It sucks being broke. Don't feel guilty(sounds like it is a fun AND investment purchase), but just don't make it a habit to spend like that in the future. My husband and I had gotten in a cycle like that, and we would get close to paying everything off and then up went the balances again. We are finally credit card debt free, and now we are saving for what we want. It is teaching me delayed gratification.
biggrin.gif

Hope you get the job!

oooh the job sounds perfect! good luck!

I know exactly how you feel... I went through a period where I was the same. I'd feel depressed and spend a whole ton of money. Then I'd feel sick and guilty about having bought something I didn't need. Sometimes I'd buy 2-3 cheap things so I wouldn't buy the more expensive thing that I really wanted. It was totally self destructive.

So now I have a strict budget. Sure, I can buy things if I really want, but I want to travel, so I have something bigger to look forward to rather than just instant gratification.

I don't really know how to get rid of that feeling, but do know that you're not alone, and also, that it sounds like it was a good buy, an investment as well as a bargain!

I am so sorry you're feeling this way - I know how that feels. You made an AMAZING accomplishment overcoming your anxiety! I know that it can be very debilitating. You are a very strong woman for overcoming that! It seems like a lot of your unhappiness at the moment comes from your specific job. Do you think that looking for another one would help you? If you can work in a coffeeshop you can do anything!

you shouldn't feel guilty for buying things that you earned! you deserve it!! especially if you worked hard to save up just to buy it!! but yeah i get buyers guilt sometimes, then i look on the bright side and then i feel fine. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Don't feel guilty about buying things!
The way I see it, a life limited to only buying bare necessities is a boring one. You can still save a little and indulge yourself as well. Just make sure you have the means to pay off your credit card bill every month.

If you don't, try to save up for things instead of making impulse buys. That way, you can remind yourself that you worked hard for the item, you saved for it, it gives you extra time to think about whether you really want it or not, and since you saved up for it, it's not dipping into other funds.

And I think being able to buy your dream camera is an accomplishment! It's your reward for working so hard.

She said it perfectly. Enjoy your new cam!

I'm a brat like that where I get tired of paying bills and HAVE to indulge a bit. Which is why I'm slowly saving money.

Back