Titanium dioxid and cancer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi girls!

I'm moderator of MMU's Israeli forum and today nice girls ask me about the commounication beetwin Titanium and cancer.

she wrote that she read a research from an uneversity in Canada that when we breathing the titanium dioxide it can cause a cancer.

do you know something about that?

thank you so much!

Titanium Dioxide Classified as Possibly Carcinogenic to Humans

This evidence showed that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation*. The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer.

Like other concerns that have been posted before...such as with silicia...I think you'll be fine unless you're snorting this stuff.

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Titanium Dioxide Classified as Possibly Carcinogenic to HumansThis evidence showed that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation*. The series of biological events or steps that produce the rat lung cancers (e.g. particle deposition, impaired lung clearance, cell injury, fibrosis, mutations and ultimately cancer) have also been seen in people working in dusty environments. Therefore, the observations of cancer in animals were considered, by IARC, as relevant to people doing jobs with exposures to titanium dioxide dust. For example, titanium dioxide production workers may be exposed to high dust concentrations during packing, milling, site cleaning and maintenance, if there are insufficient dust control measures in place. However, it should be noted that the human studies conducted so far do not suggest an association between occupational exposure to titanium dioxide and an increased risk for cancer.

Like other concerns that have been posted before...such as with silicia...I think you'll be fine unless you're snorting this stuff.

ASHLY!I don't know how to thank for your answer.

I tried to read what you wrote but its kind hard for me..

can you explain to me in a very simple words what is your meaning?

I do not breathing that stuff. even not close to my nose.

I wil start to mix the minerals in a buggies to avoide from breating at all.

thank you so much!

Simi, I think you'll be okay as long as you don't breathe a lot of this in. Regular application of makeup is okay. It is mostly a concern for people who work with titanium dioxide and a lot of it is in the air they breathe.
smile.gif

The Swedish equivalence to FDA has issued a preliminary statement based on the IARC study Ashley refers to, that Titanium Dioxide in cosmetics and foodstuff not increases the cancer risk, but there more studies in progress about the risks of using nano particles that might change that opinion.

Miners, builders and millers/bakers also have high cancer risk - because they work in an environment filled with dust. So it does not particularly matter, if it's TiO2, coal dust or flour you're breathing in.

I think we're relatively safe because the dosages are so small.

Those who are afraid, can apply the MMU wet or mixed in a lotion.

Consider the fact that when you're putting on the minerals which contain Titanium Dioxide with your brush, that you're creating a very fine dust cloud with your brush as it gets applied to your face.

It's impossible to NOT breathe in this fine dust. You breathe it in no matter what unless you hold your breath the entire time you're applying your makeup. Look at the dust that settles on your counter top over time when you use minerals. This is the dust that is in the air during application that eventually settles on surfaces.

great question !! i think we're safe, it's not like we use a lot of product each time, and even though we can breathe some foundation, i wouldn't worry about such a little amount.

I agree - the cancer risk would be more likely for the manufacturers who are working with this stuff in pure form all day long for years at a time and not wearing a mask. Micronized titanium dioxide (and micronized zinc oxide) can be problematic for those with breathing problems to begin with (asthma, etc) since the particles are so tiny they tend to fly around much more, and probably remain in the air longer (I'm assuming they're pretty darn lightweight). But you'd have to be around titanium dioxide dust all day long before it would affect the average joe.

Back