Last Names! Hot or Not?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember when I was actually dating, I thought, hmmm, could I marry this guy? is it a name that suits mine?

I mean, ok. I'm Rosie. What if the love of my life was called John Palm?

ROSIE PALM. I'd have to have 5 daughters.

But seriously, it made me think about last names. Here are some questions for you
biggrin.gif

- would you/did you change your last name if/when you married?

- if you could choose your own last name, what kind of names do like the sound of?

and finally

- I heard of one woman called Marilyn, and her husband's last name was -seriously- monroe. So she kept hers. What names would be hilarious/disastrous with your first name? if you really really loved the guy, would you keep your own name? or hyphenate?

To answer my own questions -

- I would change my last name. I think it's quite special and romantic to do this. There are only limited cir***stances under which I would keep my own name
smile.gif

- I really like names that are ye-olde english - carter, hart, archer, rose (although that one totally wouldn't work for me), I can cope with last names that are fairly boring, brown, green, white etc.. and I also like italian last names! Bellagio, Montepulciano, Morelli, they sound hot!

- There are quite a few that I'd like to avoid - o'donnell (LOL, obvious!), palm, like I said, cheeks, chin... haha, you get the picture.

I really don't like names that sound aggressive - slaughter, butcher, etc, but I guess it would sound even worse hyphenated with my last name than it would by itself....

SO! Your turn!

Reminds me of the Julia Gulia (sp?) scene from The Wedding Singer. lol!

I'd change my name, don't really care one way or the other what it would be. lol. Except I knew a guy with a last name of Dykhouse. I might pass on that one. lol!

I'd hyphenate and would ask him to do the same, cuz I feel we're equals and we should commit by giving AND receiving eachother's surname.
smile.gif

THAT'S a great sign that he'd respect(s) you...at least to me anyway.

Willum Palm doesn't sound too good either... He's be pissed for sure!! lol

I really miss my maiden name and saw it as losing part of my identity. I didn't mention the possibility of not changing it or hyphenating it b/c I didn't think my husband would appreciate it. In hindsight I did go from a name that nobody could spell correctly to a four letter name that only a few dee dee dee's can't spell right.
bootyshake.gif

Here's a weird one for ya. If my dad had been adopted by his step-father I would have been Gwena Bird. It's the exotic Gwena Bird look at her plumage.

I went to school with a guy whose last name was Butts. We used to have fun joking about his future children Ima, Rose, Harry, etc.

i'm married and have always been planning on changing my name, been keeping my maiden name just to make school and lots of other things simpler until i've graduated. but i have the same feelings about losing part of my identity, so i've thought a lot about maybe hyphenating once i finally do change it. cuz i worked really hard making that name scholastically and i feel like i'd be losing it to change it to one that has not excelled scholastically. it's also the last name of a serial killer, Couey, so that makes it lose some more appeal.

Wow, I'm surprised so many people feel like they'd lose their identity by changing last names! You're still the same person! Your last name doesn't change who you are as a person or what you've worked for! I'm confident in who I am regardless of what people call me, and I certainly wish everyone felt that way!

im not married, but what ill probably do is change my maiden name to my middle name (since i dont have one) and put my husbands last name as my last name. that way i keep both

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow, I'm surprised so many people feel like they'd lose their identity by changing last names! You're still the same person! Your last name doesn't change who you are as a person or what you've worked for! I'm confident in who I am regardless of what people call me, and I certainly wish everyone felt that way! Well yeah I guess I chose my words poorly. When I think of my maiden name I think of my dad. I miss that connection. Can't elaborate baby needs ne. ;-)

When I got married, I took my husband's last name. But I was in the military and I had to legally change my name, not just assume it. It was a royal pain in the ass.

I should have kept my last name.

Anyways, within 24 hours of the divorce, I had my original last name back.

If I ever get married again - I will not be changing my last name.

I think it is a very personal decision to keep or change one's last name.

And it certainly can affect one's identity.

Originally Posted by jhjodec9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif im not married, but what ill probably do is change my maiden name to my middle name (since i dont have one) and put my husbands last name as my last name. that way i keep both i totally forgot about that option. probably because my husband had never heard of it until last fall and is still convinced that is not something a lot of women do. but i like my middle name; i once tried very ahrd to get people to call me by my middle name, Ashley, instead of my first name, Megan , i failed. i like my first name now though, a lot more than i used to.

i REFUSED to change my name. its MY name. its not just a part of me, its who i am. Most people think that their partnership is 1 and they each are half. i think of it as 2 whole's comming together to make another whole. theres jeff. thers anna. and then we are anna and jeff. does that make sense?

I changed my name when I got married. I was honored to take my hubby's name. I didn't feel like I was losing any part of my identity because I'd been married before so I'd already had a different last name and I was glad to lose that one! LOL

I don't really have certain names that I like or prefer. I did go from having a name that everyone misspronounced or misspelled to a very easy last name.

Oh, I once dated a guy whose last name was May! LOL Yeah, I decided I couldn't overlook that, plus he wasn't that great LOL! April May!! LOL

I'm happy to change my surname if I got married, only if it suited. For example, I dated a guy once and his surname was Berreca. Rebecca Berreca would not have worked for me lol

Actually, it's funny you brought up this thread, a client of mine yesterday, her name was Liza McNelly lol I could imagine the flack she'd get for that!

Latest posts

Back