Sign in to follow this  
Karren

***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Img214070082.jpg

Ok its only a few weeks before the summer games begin and I thought it would be cool to have a place for anyone interested in them, to go and discuss their favorite olumpic sport...

Here's a couple usefull links:

Official Olympic Web Site - The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Schedule of Events - Competition Schedule - The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Check your local television provider as to when they will be broadcast in your area.

SO I OFFICIALLY OPEN THESE GAMES OF THE 2008 OLYMPICS.... THREAD... ON MUT....
mascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gifmascot_p1.gif

Cue the music.... Dooo Dooo Dee Doo Dooo Doooooo..... Who took the torch icon?? TONY????

Please check for the companion poll - "What's your favorite Summer Olympic Sport"

I got really into curling during the last winter Olympics. I had never really paid attention to it before, but I'm telling you I got freaking hypnotized by those little brooms working back and forth. I love it! lol..

It's big in Pittsburgh now and really big up north in MN and da UP of Michigan... It's like watching chess.... on ice... without any checking!! lol

cough cough curling is HUGE is Canada! I don't curl but a lot of folks up here do.

I personally like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics, but I can get into any sport.

I was thinking that MUT can have it's own Olympics - best hairstyle, sexiest shoes, etc

Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
I personally like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics, but I can get into any sport.
I have to agree and I really think it's because in the winter Olympics I get to see people doing things that are, to me, quite extreme and definitely things that I've never even attempted to do. I swim, have done gymnastics, have boxed, lifted weights..... of course none of these things to the levels that these amazing competitors do it, but like I said, the allure of the winter Olympics is watching something that seems untouchable and super human. At least that's how I see it.

I saw this on the even news last night....

In the way only an authoritarian regime can, the Chinese government has pledged to do everything in its power to ensure clean air for the Games.

It has already moved or closed about 200 polluting state-run factories such as the Beijing Coking plant.

Weeks before the Games, it is forcing the temporary shutdown of 19 polluting city refineries, mills and factories.

It will close down big construction sites to reduce dust.

And it will force cars off the roads. A new policy will restrict the driving of private cars to alternate days and reduce by 70 percent the estimated 300,000 government vehicles allowed on Beijing's roads from July 20 to Sept. 20. Public transportation will be operated during the two months on extended hours.

Source - http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...pollution.html

Official Mascots of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Img211990740.jpg

and they are.... Bèibei, J+ngjing, Hunhuan, Yíngying, and N+ni which represent Water, Wood, Fire, Earth, and Air. J+ngjing, Hunhuan, and Yíngying are male while Bèibei and N+ni are female...

Here's a neat sight showing all the Olympic Mascots - 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games | Photo Galleries, Search Athlete Pictures | NBC Olympics

Source - Fuwa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am so happy that I'll be back from my business trip on the day before the Olympics start! yes!

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
I saw this on the even news last night....

In the way only an authoritarian regime can, the Chinese government has pledged to do everything in its power to ensure clean air for the Games.

It has already moved or closed about 200 polluting state-run factories such as the Beijing Coking plant.

Weeks before the Games, it is forcing the temporary shutdown of 19 polluting city refineries, mills and factories.

It will close down big construction sites to reduce dust.

And it will force cars off the roads. A new policy will restrict the driving of private cars to alternate days and reduce by 70 percent the estimated 300,000 government vehicles allowed on Beijing's roads from July 20 to Sept. 20. Public transportation will be operated during the two months on extended hours.

Source - China cracks down on Beijing pollution | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/21/2008

Oh no! If they shut their factories down, our store shelves will be empty! lol..

Originally Posted by jmgjmg623 View Post
I'm looking forward to watching the games, as well. However, I don't like what Beijing is doing to the stray animals in order to clean up the place.

Olympics clean-up Chinese style: Inside Beijings shocking death camp for cats | Mail Online

That article made me sick and infuriated. I can't believe how ridiculous their government is.

Originally Posted by WhitneyF View Post
Oh no! If they shut their factories down, our store shelves will be empty! lol..
Didnt think about that.... Wal-mart will go out of business!!! lol

Quote:
That article made me sick and infuriated. I can't believe how ridiculous their government is.
I know, right? I couldn't believe it either. It's just so sad.

The only thing I intend to do about the 2008 Olympics is to boycott it. I also intend to boycott the advertisers that are involved.

The Chinese Government had murdered and imprisoned millions of its citizens. Chinese citizens are continually having their civil rights removed and the rest of the world just sits back and watches.

The Olympic Committee should be ashamed that it has chosen China for the venue this year.

The way the Olympic Committee chooses its venues, I would not be very surprised that the next Summer games will be held in Darfur. What will they do? Fatten up all the starving children to make the place look good?

torres_81812346.jpg

One world record was broken and another tied Friday at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Swimming Team Trials. Aaron Peirsol tied the world record and qualified in the men's 200m back, turning in a time of 1:54.32, and Michael Phelps broke his own world record and added the 200m IM to his Olympic program with a time of 1:54.80. For Phelps, the 200m IM was his fourth win of the week, after taking the 400m IM, the 200m free and the 200m fly. He has qualified for the Olympics in five events, including the 4x200m free relay.

Forty-one year-old Dara Torres (Los Angeles, Calif.) became the oldest U.S. swimmer to ever qualify for an Olympic Games, and the first swimmer to make five Olympics, after winning the 100m freestyle in a time of 53.78. Natalie Coughlin (Vallejo, Calif.) of California Aquatics, snapped up the second spot, finishing .05 seconds behind in 53.83. Coughlin has also qualified in the 100m back, 200m IM and 4x100m free relay.

Source - 41-Year-Old Torres Makes Olympic Team, Two World Records Set at 2008 Olympic Swimming Team Trials

This is interesting..... Speedo's suit divides swimming world...

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A revolutionary bodysuit has divided the world of swimming into the haves and the have nots just weeks before the Beijing Olympics, testing relationships between federations, athletes and rival suppliers.

Australian and U.S. swimmers and others wearing the Speedo LZR Racer suit have set 38 world records since its introduction in February. Australian Libby Lenton said it made her feel she was swimming downhill.

As the buzz has grown -- an LZR is even on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in an exhibit on superheroes -- swimmers using other equipment are weighing the merits of breaking existing contracts and switching to Speedo.

Source - Speedo's suit divides swimming world | Reuters

Canada's swim team has also been using the Speedo LZR Racer. The swimmers have commented on how much faster they can swim in them.

I bet a lot of pool records will be set at the Olympics - and not just from the US or Australian swimmers either.

I would have been in China except the Olympics decided to cancel the hot tub races...

hahahah You mean where you fill the hot tubs with beer and put wheels on them and race them down the street, Carolyn?

That would be the summer Olympics.

In the winter, we forgo the wheels and go down the slopes.

Plus it serves the purpose of grooming the downhill courses.

I have to warn you folks - it is darn near impossible to qualify for this sport as most of the contestants drink the beer and wander aimlessly about...

wouldn't ya think that at a certain point the suit can't really help you? i mean its all about reducing friction with the water right? and of course you heard about those secret surgeries where the webbing on swimmers hands is marginally increased in size so there is more thrust from each stroke. (!)

Uh, friction...secret surgeries...increased in size so there is more thrust from each stroke (!)...just what sport are you refering to Darla?

pole vaulting hahahahaha

OK, back to more serious sports talk - South Africa's 'Blade Runner' misses out on Beijing

South Africa's double amputee track sensation Oscar Pistorius saw his last hope of winning a place to the Olympics dashed on Friday when he missed out on a berth in the 400 metre relay team.

"We did not select him," Athletics South Africa spokesman Molatelo Malehopo said of the outcome of a meeting of the federation's board on Thursday night.

"He is not going at all for the Olympic games ... We have faster guys than him in our Olympic team," Malehopo told AFP.

Pistorius missed out on the right to compete in Beijing in the individual 400 metre event when he came outside the qualifying time at a meeting in Lucerne on Wednesday night, despite recording a personal best of 46.25 seconds.

The 21-year-old later told reporters that he hoped to still sneak onto the plane to China with a spot in the 4x400-metre relay team but ASA's announcement means his Olympic dream will now be on hold for another four years.

Pistorius said on Friday he would not comment until he had been officially informed by ASA of the decision, but his agent, Peet van Zyl, admitted the paralympic world record holder had not held out much hope of inclusion.

"We hadn't been expecting him to make the team because his time wasn't the sixth fastest of the South Africans," said Van Zyl.

"We weren't looking (for ASA to have) a special set of rules for Oscar. He wanted to go to the Olympics because he deserved it on merit."

Pistorius, who had both of his legs amputated as a baby due to a congenital disorder, has been dubbed "Blade Runner" due to the specially-adapted carbon fibre blades with which he has won a host of Paralympic titles.

In May, Pistorius won a court battle to overturn an International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) ban that stopped him competing against able-bodied athletes.

He admitted then he would struggle to make the qualifying time for Beijing as the legal fight had affected his training, saying that the London Olympics in 2012 was a more realistic target.

Pistorius will compete in the Paralympics in Beijing in September, where he is expected to defend his 100m, 200m and 400m titles. He is also the world record holder in these events.

source - SAfrica's "Blade Runner" misses out on Beijing - Yahoo! Philippines News

Beijing's Olympic shutdown begins Sunday, a drastic plan to lift the Chinese capital's gray shroud of pollution just three weeks ahead of the games.

Half of Beijing's 3.3 million vehicles will be pulled off the roads and many polluting factories will be shuttered. Chemical plants, power stations and foundries left open have to cut emissions by 30 percent — and dust-spewing construction in the capital will be halted.

In a highly stage-managed Olympics aimed at showing off the rising power of the 21st century, no challenge is greater than producing crystalline air for 10,500 of the world's greatest athletes.

"Pea-soup air at the opening ceremony would be their worst nightmare," said Victor Cha, director of Asian Studies at Georgetown University.

Source - STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer - Beijing begins massive Olympic shutdown - Yahoo! News