Sign in to follow this  
Karren

***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Sorry folks, but if I didn't know who Shawn Johnson was I would swear she had just graduated from grade 3. Gymnastics is all about young, small, muscular, youthful people.

In my opinion, a fine line between 13 and 18.

If you compare Shawn Johnson to the Chinese gymnasts, you can tell the difference a lot. Specifically with the shape of their bodies.

I was a gymnast for 9 years. When I was 11-12, I looked like Deng Linlin as far as body shape. When I was 16, I looked a lot more like Shawn Johnson. From my experience, it appears that bone and muscle mass increases greatly between those ages. I personally went from 62 lbs to 86 lbs. That's over 20 lbs. difference and most of it was bone, but I also gained muscle mass (which is pretty average). You can definitely tell that Shawn Johnson has gone through that change and the youngest of the Chinese gymnasts haven't.

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
They don't do anything for me personally!! Lol
Don't hate, Karren! lol! j/k. wink.gif

I have a feeling if they were hockey players, you'd feel differently! lol!

Originally Posted by xtiffanyx View Post
So Jonathan Horton is like 7 inches sorter than me laughing.gif...whatever, I still think he's a sexy beast biggrin.gif.
He's an inch taller than me! W00T! lol.

Seriously, though...they showed a LOT of him last night, and I was beginning to wonder if the cameras were focusing on him so much because he was good at what he does or because he's the most attractive gymnast there. lol!

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
Don't hate, Karren! lol! j/k. wink.gif

I have a feeling if they were hockey players, you'd feel differently! lol!

Female hockey players.... in evening gowns maybe!!! biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton View Post
Female hockey players.... in evening gowns maybe!!! biggrin.gif
That would be a sight to see! You should start a league, Karren! I'm in!

ETA...oh, I thought you meant PLAYING in evening gowns. lol.

I'm already in a league.... and maybe the 8 women in the league would go for that but the big hairy guys would definately not look good in evening gowns!!! lol

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl View Post
He's an inch taller than me! W00T! lol.

Seriously, though...they showed a LOT of him last night, and I was beginning to wonder if the cameras were focusing on him so much because he was good at what he does or because he's the most attractive gymnast there. lol!

I also think that Artemev is a cutie biggrin.gif...we didn't get to see as much of him though. I'm sad that Horton finished 9th since the difference between 2nd and 9th was .4 frown.gif. I was happy for Yang Wei though. rocknroll2.gif to him for finally getting that all around title!

There are many many gymnasts who are small and young looking- that is not the issue.

The problem is there is a rule that says the gymnast has to be 16 and we comply even if we have girls who are of Olympic caliber, they have to wait until they are 16 and we have consistant evidence that they are, in fact, 16.

These girls in question have evidence in the way of past news reports from their *own* country that clearly states that these girls are NOT 16 but now, in order to compete and have a solid shot at gold in their country, their do***entation suddenly says they are of the required legal age and they are calling their own newspapers that previously reported the ages in the past, incorrect.

All the reports in the past up this point has consistantly listed their ages as the same and there has been no confusion as the ages back then, but now there is an age requirement, the previous information is somehow "wrong".

No matter what the required age was to be, you can bet these girl's do***entation would say they were that age; if the age was 20, then they would swear the girls were 20.

Ok Phelps is just about to race the 200 IM and the female judge standing behind him was eyeing him over and you could almost see what she was thinking!! Hahahaha.

wow thats interesting Shaundra so i bet its real interesting for you to watch some of these gymnasts since you are not that far removed from them

Woo hoo!! US gymnasts were awesome! In spite of those judges that were scoring completely out of line!

Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Woo hoo!! US gymnasts were awesome! In spite of those judges that were scoring completely out of line!
I know, right! lol!

Yay Nastia and Shawn! smile.gif

Originally Posted by Darla_G View Post
wow thats interesting Shaundra so i bet its real interesting for you to watch some of these gymnasts since you are not that far removed from them
Yep! I'm a huge gymnastics fan! lol!

I'm also loving to watch Michael Phelps race too, though! lol! wink.gif

I still can't believe how lopsided some of those chineese scores were.... The one on the beam looked like she was going to fall off half the time and she got a great score...

We still don't have a medal yet...sigh...but there are some good competitions this weekend where Canada might pull one off.

In a semi rowing competition, Canad and Poland were neck and neck.

Actually, we are slowly moving up in the standings. Canadian swimmers are getting in the finals where as last year, many didn't get past the heats.

Maybe is the water temp was just above freezing, Carolyn... Feel more like home? biggrin.gif.

I always thought the Canadians did great in the summer games?? I remember a lot of them medeling in track and field..

Ohh and what was with that sorry artificial turf in Toronto last night... Trying to trip up my percious Steelers? Lol. Well it worked... SIGH.....

I forgot all about Pittsburgh playing Buffalo - in Toronto. The game was held in the Rogers Centre, formally known as the Sky Dome. This is where the Blue Jays play.

The Toronto Argonauts of the CFL - Canadian Football League - play in the Rogers Centre when it's a home game.

There are always rumours about Buffalo joining the CFL, much like Baltimore did for one season. I guarantee the CFL fans would love it!

Last Olympics in Athens, we only won 12-13 medals. None were in swimming. Possibly in track and field but I can't remember any.

I do recall a medal in trampoline, two in canoe, rowing, we got a gold in gymnastics - men's floor, boxing, diving, wrestling, cycling, triathalon - a hodge podge really.

Canada does much better in the Winter Olympics. Plus in 2010 it will be home field advantage. We'll either do amazingly well or implode!

We should start a hockey talk thread - I miss dishing about hockey.

Here's two - what the heck is Sundin doing? And why in the world would Toronto get rid of McCabe?

Is that swedish guy still around? Been so long since I heard his name spoken... McWho?

Penguins broke ground for their new $335 million rink that holds... 1,000 more people than the iglo??? Wtf?? All the shovels had hockey stick handles... Probably made from the sticks they broke in the locker room after loosing the cup!! Lol

My last game is Tuesday... We sucked this season... Then 2 week off season.. Take the ice down.. And fall hockey starts again!! Were moving into the new office building in 2 weeks.... right accross the street from the Iceoplex.. Where Sid and company practice!! Guess where I'll be at lunch this fall?? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I'll tell Sid you said hi!! Lol

And the artificial turf at the skydome looked like indoor-outdoor carpeting remenents sewn together..

Ohhhh. And Go Phelps... (Don't want repremanded for getting off-topic) .... Wait... Its my thread!!! biggrin.gif

You don't know who McCabe is? He's Toronto's best defenceman. But he broke his leg in the mid season so he didn't put in a lot of ice time last year.

I don't understand how a free agent can take so long to decide when/if he will play again. I mean, if Sundin decides not to return, he's not giving Toronto much time to get another player that is as valuable.

Is the new arena going to be called the Iceoplex? Will it be ready for the 2009/2010 season?

Do you think that the Pens have a better team this year? It seems that they traded away a lot of good players.

I've seen the Argos play in the Rogers centre - on TV. The playing field looked pretty rough - and you could see all the bases in the brown dirt.

I like Phelps - I hope he gets all his records and gold medals - he's a genius.

But if I can make one comment - it is a bit sad to see some of the swimmers not even smiling when they won a silver or bronze. Ok, it wasn't a gold medal but it was still something to be proud of.

Don't know what the new arena wll be called? Probably. Xxxxx arena... X= who ever has the most money!! Lol. Supposed to be ready in 2010...

And the Iceoplex is where the practice.. South of Pittsburgh.. In Southpointe. I don't even know who we still have or who left! Guess I'll find out next month when I'm watching the training camp during lunch!! y.gif)smile.gif

20 mines till Phelps tries for his 7(h gold!!