For our Aussie friends: what is vegemite

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i understand Vegemite is unique to Australia. what is it and how does it taste?

Lol, Its a spread you put on toast or bread. Its a yeast extract tastes similar to Marmite but better tasting IMO.

Basically pretty much every Australian child is bought up on it. The mistake most foreigners make when trying it for the first time is they put on too much. The stuff is quite strong and you don't need much.

I would eat Vegemite on toast for breakfast at least 3 times each week, have been eating it ever since I can remember.

250px-Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

Kudos Anthea, excellent description
wink.gif

It's definately an aquired taste lol I remember sending a small jar to a pen pal years ago who lives in Colorado and the first line in her reply letter was, YOU ACTUALLY EAT THAT STUFF!? lol

I love it, and I have it often, on toast, you can't beat it. As Anthea said, there are similar ones like Promite, Marmite, Mightymight but none of them actually compare to vegemite.

If you want some Darla, I'd be happy to send you some!

Yes, definitely don't use too much! you need to really lather on the butter, and then a very small scraping of vegemite. It has a salty taste.

Lol, I suppose that's one thing we take for granted... that people know what it is and how it tastes!

omg i would die without my vegemite!!! i live on this stufff!!!!!!!!! every morning i have it. i even eat it on pancakes! I love it!

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's has a pretty strong taste, salty and kinda metallic.. Metallic...really!? I'm not tasting that!

I tried it when I visited Syndey a few years ago... An aquired taste for sure... Made by Kraft if I remember right.... Guess ya got to find something to do with the stuff left over from the bottom of the beer brewing kettle? lol

I never put it on my wedge sandwiches which they fed us each and every lunch at the mines....

I've never tried it. I've had marmite before and that was grosssss so it's kinda put me off eating anything ending in mite lol

Originally Posted by Bec688 /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you want some Darla, I'd be happy to send you some!

Thanks Bec, i truly appreciate the offer. But you don't need to incur the cost of shipping etc.
they actually have it in a gourmet shop in our local mall. I saw it and was curious about ever since i heard that song years ago (Men at Work). They have a small quantity so i can get a taste. its the sample pack as pictured. and i found it on ebay too! lol

8412_1.JPG

i will try it one of these days! oy oy oy

seriously, do not use more than a scraping! that whole packet will do quite a few pieces of toast. Vegemite is not like jam or honey, haha!

scrape a bit, see what you think, then if you like it, add some more
biggrin.gif

There are heaps of crazy oz recipes for vegemite - vegemite and cheese is called 'tiger toast ' - you put stripes of vegemite and strips of cheese onto your toast and melt the cheese a little.

Also, you can have it 'raw' - cheese and vegemite sandwiches (I used to love them as a kid, then when I got older the thought totally freaked me out!) other people eat it with avocado...

crazy stuff
smile.gif

lol If you get brave enough, another popular one that seems to be the rage at the moment is avocado and vegemite together - not for the faint hearted!

Originally Posted by AprilRayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was thinking of that song too when I read the title! LOL you mean this one! I loved that video. How did Australia like it! It was played a ton on MTv when it was a good station.

Back