Help me switch MMU companies!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So...I'm being brave, 2 posts in one night! Here's the problem. For the past 2yrs I was using BE everyday. People complemented me on my makeup often, and I loved the way my skin looked. That was, untill about a year ago. I started noticing I was breaking out more than usual. In the same spots, over and over, no matter how many products I used from my dermatologist. At first I couldn't figure it out. I hadn't changed anything. (No new makeup) Then I read something on here about bismuth and realized that was probably the cause. Not good! Especially when I have months of BE in stock! So, I have stopped using BE to see if that was indeed the problem, and I am still breaking out a little, but not as bad. It's been about a month and a half. My question for you ladies is can you help me color match to some other MMU? I'm especially interested in the new MAC mineral foundation, and the Urban Decay mineral, but I'm open to all suggestions!! In BE I wear Fairly Light in the winter, and Medium Beige in the summer. Right now I'm wearing Physician's Formula pressed compact in a mixture of Translucent and Beige applied with a sponge (the sponge works alot better than the brush provided!). I actually like the Physician's Formula because it's a compact, but I miss the lightness of loose minerals. Thank you for your time!

I looked at the ingredients on Urban Decay MMU and it does have bismuth which I know caused problems for some people, I could not find a list of ingredients for MAC. Since you are having skin problems I would suggest that you check carefully before trying out MMU because some companies label their cosmetics mineral but they are not true MMU. Avon has a mineral foundation but the list of ingredients is as long as your arm and certainly not real minerals. MMU should have no more than 4 maybe 5 ingredients to be real MMU.

I've used Everyday Minerals, Signature Minerals and Lumiere Minerals and these are companies I can recommend. Usually you can send for a sample kit in some cases free if you pay postage or some companies charge $1 or so each sample, it's a good way to try before you buy.

I'm sure other posters will be able to recommend some other great companies, the advantage to buying this way is that even with the small postage charge it's a lot cheaper than buying from department stores and the selection is huge.

I am a big fan of Monave's foundation. I used to use BE as well, but switched to Monave (on the recommendation of someone else here!) and I am totally in love.

there is a lot of great companies. you need only to try.. and figure out what is exactly for you.

I have a lot of foundations and everyday I switch. its so fun.

and i give you more advice. try the hand makes brands. the usually don't use in bismuth.

Thank you so much for all of your replies!!!

AliciaT- Thanks for pointing out the bismuth in Urban Decay, and looking for the ingredients for MAC. I just tried and also couldn't find the ingredients, I guess I could ask at the counter, but I'm not sure if they have it at all MAC stores. I will definitely look into sampling.

Horsienut- That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!
worship.gif
If I'm going to order samples I need to know what colors would best suit me, so I can use them right away!! Thank you so much!!! If anyone else has any color suggestions please let me know.

Paperflowers- I will be sure to try Monave. I used to love BE so much, so I will definitely take a former user's suggestion.

Simisimi100- It sounds like fun to switch and experiment with different brands. I will try some smaller brands as well.

Thank you ladies for your answers and making me feel welcome on this thread!

It's an FDA requirement that the ingredients are listed so I'm suprised it's not on the MAC website but it's probably on the product. You could email the company and ask for a list of ingredients.

As others have said there are tons of MMU companies out there so it's fun to try the makeup and most of them are a fraction of the cost of BE.

Okay ladies, another question. Which MMU companies have the same coverage and consistency as BE? I like how with BE I can add to my coverage, and I like that I can put it on thick if I choose too. Also, I like a faint glow. This would really help me narrow down my list of companies to start sampling with (there are so may MMU companies!!!). Thanks in advance!!!

Buildable with a slight glow try Bare Faced Minerals foundation and or Meow's PP

I placed an order tonight for Monave, and Meow. I'll let you guys know when I get my samples!

Okay, yesterday I ordered some samples from Joppa. Does anyone know how long they usually take to ship? Also, I'm hoping my samples come soon from Monave and Meow. Can't wait to try them out because.........it's so tempting to use my BE! I still haven't used it, I keep using my Physician's Formula. But it's hard to use the Physician's when I know I look so much better with the BE. BUT, I don't want to start breaking out again.....so, I just stare at the BE and shake my head.

Stellaria- Thanks! I hope they get here real soon. I stopped by the MAC counter today and asked if Bismuth was in their mineral foundation. The girl wasn't sure, so we went and looked at their book of ingredients for all their products, and I spotted it right away while she was looking on the page. I really wanted to try it out.

Back